The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I’ve been really hankering for an ES-125 or 150 for awhile now. I loved my Kingpin, which had a similar spirit but I let it go to make room for an Epi 175 that I now LOVE. I’ve also really wanted to add something to the lineup that had a CC. A ‘36 ES-125 is just too much of a gamble, so I looked for alternatives.

After some research and scouring, I found the ATC 150 CC. Ticked all the boxes. Even located one fairly close by, which is a minor miracle considering how relatively scarce they are in the States. I’ve set up an appointment to go look it over soon.

And now here’s the rub.

The seller and I have discussed a trade. The ATC for my ‘69 ES-345TDW. The 345 was my fathers. It holds a great bit of sentimentality, of course, and it always seemed like the one guitar I would hold onto forever. But...I dislike it for numerous reasons. The Bigsby irks me. It’s HEAVY. The narrow nut is difficult for me to adjust to. The frets are LOW. It just makes me work too hard when I pick it up so I rarely do. Don’t get me wrong... it sounds great. Does it sound better than my modded 175? No. And the playability on the Epiphone is more effortless on all accounts by a mile.

So now the dilemma.

Would keeping the Gibson and having Glaser do a refret, Bigsby to trapeze swap and a Varitone delete make enough of a difference to justify the cost? Or should I entertain parting with dads guitar for one that better suits my preferences? The ATC seems like a fantastic piece and even though it has potentially less resale value, it misses no marks in craftsmanship. Tough call...Considering an ATC 150 CC-d6d14597-4922-49de-8975-24510bd6a134-jpeg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Esport
    The 345 was my fathers. It holds a great bit of sentimentality, of course, and it always seemed like the one guitar I would hold onto forever.

There’s your answer IMO.

User Info Menu

What dedalus said. No way to have both of them?

User Info Menu

Can someone fill me in on ATC? Never heard of them...

User Info Menu

ATC is not Archtop Tribute? New to me too as well then....

Anyways.... if you don like the 345 and you don't play it, well.... just be sure you won't regret it in time. Personally I would try to keep both but I can't look in your wallet. If you are going to play the ATC a lot and you need the swap to get it, then for me it would be worth it. Sentiment is just that... sentiment.

The other aspect is value: is the ATC worth as much as the 345? The 345 will probably retain value better but I am a player, not a collector and for sure no investor.

User Info Menu

The 345 was my fathers. It holds a great bit of sentimentality, of course, and it always seemed like the one guitar I would hold onto forever.
    Until you thought of swapping it for a guitar you will probably like a lot better.....

The refret won't make the neck wider, so if the narrow neck is bothering you, you will never like the 345, whatever you do to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    ATC is not Archtop Tribute? New to me too as well then....

Anyways.... if you don like the 345 and you don't play it, well.... just be sure you won't regret it in time. Personally I would try to keep both but I can't look in your wallet. If you are going to play the ATC a lot and you need the swap to get it, then for me it would be worth it. Sentiment is just that... sentiment.

The other aspect is value: is the ATC worth as much as the 345? The 345 will probably retain value better but I am a player, not a collector and for sure no investor.
    ATC is Archtop Tribute Custom. From what I’ve read, it refers to the 150CC and the 350 BK models. The 150 has a solid carved Sitka spruce top and the Barney clone is a laminate. The 150 is rather rare and I’ve seen prices between $2500-3500. It will never have the broad appeal of the 345 so while it may hold a similar relative value, it is more of a niche guitar. Plus, being somewhat of an unknown brand, the ATC would fly under the radar for most.

The 345 has been a momento and not a player due to my reluctance to deal with the aspects of its design that keep me from picking it up. I’ve gone back and forth with the idea of having it refretted and rewired to 335 spec. The Bigsby bugs me. If there were a good way to convert it to a trapeze then that would be an improvement. I’m purely a hobbyist and I want to play these things, not let them sit for years untouched.

User Info Menu

If there were a good way to convert it to a trapeze then that would be an improvement.
    I don't know what you would consider a good way, but just take of the bigsby and put a trapeze on... depending of the model bigsby it will leave a screw hole visible in the top (which can be plugged and made to match the finish and could be almost invisible) and maybe a shadow in the finish. The screw-holes in the 'anchor' of the trapeze probably won't line up with those of the bigsby, but some tootpicks with woodglue work wonders. And are probably covered by the trapeze.

But I understand it might not be considered good advise to do this to a vintage instrument..... (although I did it to my 1950 ES-125, but that came with a wrong Hofner-tailpiece)

User Info Menu

I don't know the 345 but do know the AT Custom models well. I agree the ATC 150CC is a fabulous guitar, I think among the best in its category. In fact, it is a Westville guitar, just like the ATC 350BK. I wouldn't bother too much about the resale value. Who knows your father would have been happy to know that his guitar made it possible for you to get a guitar you really like.

User Info Menu

I see no point in hanging on to a guitar you actually dislike. Rather than trade, maybe you could sell it? If it would draw more than you need to buy the ATC you'd end up ahead.

But life is too short to hang onto guitars we don't like and don't play. If you find you like the ATC and know you'll play it, I say do the deal. I don't think we ever get used to a nut that is too narrow or too wide. No point punishing yourself just because the guitar is a family item.

I recently sold off land that had been in my family since before 1900. I cannot tell you the relief it brought me to have no further burden with that land, and the money made it possible to do some things in my present life that are totally worth it. A little sad, but I made my peace with it. Maybe you will have a similar story.

User Info Menu

You stand a chance of getting a better price for your 1969 ES-347TD selling it than trading it in. Rumbleseat Music is in the business of vintage guitars. The vintage market doesn't care that you do not bond with it. It has the look, the swagger, the tone of vintage and that is worth something to someone.

I suggest consigning it to Carter's Vintage. Do your research to find out how much the market value of your 1969 ES-347TD is. Dealers take about 20% of sales as their fee. They may be able to fetch a higher price than you can on your own so you won't be out the full 20%. Be careful and aware of dealer's T & Cs.

Make sure you have no regrets selling your dad's old guitar because you won't see it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    You stand a chance of getting a better price for your 1969 ES-347TD selling it than trading it in. Rumbleseat Music is in the business of vintage guitars. The vintage market doesn't care that you do not bond with it. It has the look, the swagger, the tone of vintage and that is worth something to someone.

I suggest consigning it to Carter's Vintage. Do your research to find out how much the market value of your 1969 ES-347TD is. Dealers take about 20% of sales as their fee. They may be able to fetch a higher price than you can on your own so you won't be out the full 20%. Be careful and aware of dealer's T & Cs.

Make sure you have no regrets selling your dad's old guitar because you won't see it back.
    Solid advice. Thanks for the tip!

The 345 doesn’t inspire me to pick it up. My Squier CV Tele gets wrung out all the time, at a fraction of the Gibson’s value. Same for my discount 175. I’m not interested in resale value. My studio has always been full of cheaper gear that gets used. From my FREE Polymoog to the Squier PJ to the great-sounding Rogers drum kit I traded a Glock for. If I don’t like playing it, why have it? I had a Godin Jazz that I didn’t care for. Same for a beautiful Eastman. Both were worth more than either of the guitars that replaced them. I think I’ll take the 345 with intentions of making the deal on the ATC and if it speaks to me, I’ll try to make the deal. Dad loved his Gibson but he loved making music, more. If he knew that it would collect dust rather than be traded for something that would be played I think he’d want me to get to making music.