The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    The room makes a difference in the sound. And having a bass player say something doesn't make it so.
    Poor bassists .... good joke though ;-)

The last time I've used a Twin was a couple of moths ago at a club gig where I didn't have to bring my own amp. It was a reissue Blackface model and it gave me grief ! The stage volume was not unusually high so the sheer volume was not the problem but the amp simply put out way too much bass, even with the dial turned all the way to zero. I had to roll it way back to the side of the stage to keep my Super-400 from feeding back constantly which it normally - with my own amps - almost never does, being a heavily overbuilt electric archtop, designed for louder playing. I couldn't hear myself like I would have wanted and cursed myself for not bringing my Evans RE200 or my Bud - both would have been loud enough and flexible enough on that stage, in that room. Generally I find that open back cabs are not the best choice when it comes to a "classic" electric archtop tone - in concert that is. At home, in the studio etc. it might be different since volume and amp placement is not an issue - you can play as soft or loud as you like i.e. dial it in for optimal performance in a controlled environment, for sound pickup by microphone.
    Another thought : this experience once again hammered home the fact how important it is that you can hear yourself well on stage, that you have a minimum of control over the sound you're producing and that it sounds at least "good" to your ears, since "great" and /or "wonderful" are ideals that very rarely can be reached.... when I have to struggle with my gear I cannot concentrate on the music, on my fellow musicians or on the paying guests, bad. So from now on I will bring my own amp, spend the extra time for a thorough sound check and try to get a floor plan of the venue ahead of time so I can decide whether to bring my bigger or my smaller rig.
    On open air stages I always bring my 200 Watt Evans since the smaller Bud cannot deliver the extra punch needed when there are no walls around to reflect the sound.
    YMMV

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman

The last time I've used a Twin was a couple of moths ago at a club gig where I didn't have to bring my own amp. It was a reissue Blackface model and it gave me grief ! The stage volume was not unusually high so the sheer volume was not the problem but the amp simply put out way too much bass, even with the dial turned all the way to zero. I had to roll it way back to the side of the stage to keep my Super-400 from feeding back constantly which it normally - with my own amps - almost never does, being a heavily overbuilt electric archtop, designed for louder playing. I couldn't hear myself like I would have wanted and cursed myself for not bringing my Evans RE200 or my Bud - both would have been loud enough and flexible enough on that stage, in that room. Generally I find that open back cabs are not the best choice when it comes to a "classic" electric archtop tone - in concert that is. At home, in the studio etc. it might be different since volume and amp placement is not an issue - you can play as soft or loud as you like i.e. dial it in for optimal performance in a controlled environment, for sound pickup by microphone.
    Another thought : this experience once again hammered home the fact how important it is that you can hear yourself well on stage, that you have a minimum of control over the sound you're producing and that it sounds at least "good" to your ears, since "great" and /or "wonderful" are ideals that very rarely can be reached.... when I have to struggle with my gear I cannot concentrate on the music, on my fellow musicians or on the paying guests, bad. So from now on I will bring my own amp, spend the extra time for a thorough sound check and try to get a floor plan of the venue ahead of time so I can decide whether to bring my bigger or my smaller rig.
    On open air stages I always bring my 200 Watt Evans since the smaller Bud cannot deliver the extra punch needed when there are no walls around to reflect the sound.
    YMMV
    Next time you have to use the house amp and it puts out too much bass that can’t be dialed out, bring a small screwdriver and lower the pickup on the bass-side.... ;-)

I really get your point about hearing yourself on stage, so true!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman

YMMV
    I played a situation in which every few months I'd be on the stage for 4 songs or so. There were acts before and after, so the venue provided a Twin (don't know which one). It had that problem. At low volume there was some bass, but the first time I turned up for a solo, the bass blew up like a hurricane at sea. Completely unusable. No way to control it. After that, I made sure there was some, any, other amp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    In a music class some time back, most of the guitarists had small amps of one kind or another. Different guitars. One guy came in with a Fender Twin and a Fender archtop from the D'Aquisto era. His sound was dramatically better than everybody else's. It may have been the guitar, more than the amp, but I really don't know.

On the other hand, my DV Mark Little Jazz sounds so much like my '64 Ampeg Reverberocket that I don't think many people could reliably identify which was which under playing conditions -- meaning adding some reverb with a pedal and adjusting EQ. Adjustments in EQ make more difference than switching amps.

Then, there's the frequent experience where I hate my sound before the first tune and love it by the second set.
    I have very fond memories of my (now long gone) Reverbrocket. Sounds like I should check out the DVMLJ. Hmmmn....