The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Strbender
    I just sold a bunch of film camera gear using the buy it now price. The invoice I received was for 10% of the sale = $250!!!! I've also been on eBay for a long time but I haven't been selling anything the past year. So because of that, I've been lazy about reading their update emails. So I guess I can't blame anyone but me. I've decided that everything else will be going on CL instead.
    What do you think a reasonable charge would be? Irrespective of other issues with selling on eBay, 10% seems quite fair to me.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zdub
    What do you think a reasonable charge would be? Irrespective of other issues with selling on eBay, 10% seems quite fair to me.
    I understand what your asking 100%. I've been selling on eBay for almost 20 years. This was the first time I sold something since they sold off PayPal and raised there seller fees. When I started selling it was around 6% combined between the two. I figured it would be somewhere around 7% +/- for just eBay. When there invoice arrived at 10% I was a little taken back. My bad for not getting back up to speed. Because my account is also a business account I receive a 1099 now too so I can pay taxes on my used goods. That I was aware of.

I would say it's still worth using them if selling local isn't going to get it sold.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zdub
    Isn't Reverb something like 3%? I haven't paid attention in a while, so maybe it's gone up.

User Info Menu

Reverb has a 3.5% seller’s fee. A while ebay reduced its standard guitar category to 3.5%, presumably because of competition from Reverb. However, the vintage guitar category on eBay remains at 10%.

User Info Menu

If one cannot sell a guitar through Craigslist, the next option should be using the various forums (like this one). If that does not work, Reverb and EBay are free to list with (Do not use EBay's vintage guitar classification!) and will result in a 3.5% fee. Or one could consign with a dealer for a 15%-25% fee.

If none of that works, it means your instrument is overpriced. You can reduce the price and start over or simply keep the guitar and let your heirs figure it out up the road.

User Info Menu

I have always had the opinion that during the Christmas season large ticket guitars, those costing more than $2500, do not sell as well. I just think Christmas is a different mind set and guitarist looking for guitars have a whole other way of buying. In fact because of that guitarist are not looking for guitars so they don't sell at Christmas. For whatever reason I have done my best selling in the late spring and summer. I am not sure if there is any connection but could have to do the tax refunds and work in general.

I do know one thing right now is the market for guys looking for top notch jazz guitars is great. Right now George Gruhn has a Wesmo near mint for $6500. I saw a D'angelico Style A for $7k and some decent prices on GJS. There are even 2 Trenier's for sale in the $7-7800 price range, that is a bit of change but with cash who knows what one can do?

User Info Menu

I’ve typically noticed a down tick in guitar sales starting in November and continuing through the end of the year. There is often also a surge in October just before this lull. I can’t explain the surge.

As far as GJS go, my experience is that they experienced a considerable slide in value over the last five years or so. While it was top of the line at one point, I don’t think that many current buyers even know who Johnny Smith was. On the other hand, people still are very familiar with Wes Montgomery. Obviously Wes is not the only reason for an L-5s value, but I would expect a 1965 L-5 CES to bring more in the current market than a 1965 Johnny Smith.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    I’ve typically noticed a down tick in guitar sales starting in November and continuing through the end of the year. There is often also a surge in October just before this lull. I can’t explain the surge.

As far as GJS go, my experience is that they experienced a considerable slide in value over the last five years or so. While it was top of the line at one point, I don’t think that many current buyers even know who Johnny Smith was. On the other hand, people still are very familiar with Wes Montgomery. Obviously Wes is not the only reason for an L-5s value, but I would expect a 1965 L-5 CES to bring more in the current market than a 1965 Johnny Smith.

I suspect that high end Gibson archtops will always have some value due to their scarcity, quality and the gravitas of who played them. But the L-5 will have a bigger buyer pool than a GJS. As I do not expect that either will perform well as an investment moving forward, my suggestion to those considering either, is to get the one that inspires your playing.