The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 33

User Info Menu

Several of the items I have listed on this site, I listed on Ebay. The 1965 Fender Deluxe amplifier and the Epiphone Zephyr regent Reissue. At first I used the fixed price listing. September I incurred fees of $12.24. Then I switch over to auction with reserved price. I have done this in the past. (BTW I haven't used Ebay in sometime. ) Well I listed the items several times when they didn't sell. As it turns out, bad decision. My invoices for October totalled $956.
    I justed finished my first coffee of the day and what shock to my system! I called Ebay immediately. Everytime I used the reserve price I was charged $130-$150!
    I understand what they are doing. But those charges when the item doesn't sell is a deal breaker. So I got Ebay to drop the charges, one time curtsey. I have been on Ebay since 2004. Now I am done and will close my account.

Beware Outrageous Ebay Listing Fees-20191106_110856-jpg
    Last edited by Wildcat; 11-06-2019 at 12:16 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Been using them since 1998 but rarely any more and only for selling low priced items. To get around the 'reserve' fee, just set your opening bid higher - I usually set it at my absolute lowest price then I'm not hurt too bad if it goes for that.

These days, I try to deal with folks on the forums that I belong to - you meet a better class of people, less BS and no fees, although some expect a donation if you sell something, which is OK with me.

To get around the Reverb.com fees, if it's a real business (ie brick and mortar), call them direct and make a deal - you can save some money and they don't get hit with fees - that's the way I got my Brook Torridge.

I hate to admit it, but I'm just about over buying equipment - I have everything that I could possibly need for my limited gigging these days.

User Info Menu

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    B
    These days, I try to deal with folks on the forums that I belong to - you meet a better class of people, less BS and no fees
    +1
    To get around the Reverb.com fees, if it's a real business (ie brick and mortar), call them direct and make a deal - you can save some money and they don't get hit with fees .

User Info Menu

That's outrageous. I wasn't aware that reserve prices would result in fees like that. If there is something that I don't want to give away I just set the starting bid where I want it.

User Info Menu

Absolutely. I used it as a safety net of sorts.

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    That's outrageous. I wasn't aware that reserve prices would result in fees like that. If there is something that I don't want to give away I just set the starting bid where I want it.

User Info Menu

I gave up on Ebay and PayPal years ago for a number of reasons.

User Info Menu

Basically I did too. But I though oh what the heck. Why not? Increase the traffic for the items I am selling.

Quote Originally Posted by BBGuitar
    I gave up on Ebay and PayPal years ago for a number of reasons.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    I hate to admit it, but I'm just about over buying equipment - I have everything that I could possibly need for my limited gigging these days.
    Lucky you!

User Info Menu

I had everything I needed long ago, but needs and desires are not the same things.

User Info Menu

Also, if you were going to list guitar gear on eBay, make sure that you don’t use the vintage categories. The vintage categories get the standard Ebay 10% fee, but just “regular” guitar items get charged a 3.5% fee.

User Info Menu

I've been using Ebay since it's inception but never used the reserve feature and had no idea about the gouging.
    Also not aware of different fees for vintage items.
    Thanks for those tips, ebay still gets the most traffic by far but I know a lot of heavy volume sellers that only sell on reverb now.

User Info Menu

That’s obscene. A success fee, even if high, I can understand. But those...Beware Outrageous Ebay Listing Fees

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    Also, if you were going to list guitar gear on eBay, make sure that you don’t use the vintage categories. The vintage categories get the standard Ebay 10% fee, but just “regular” guitar items get charged a 3.5% fee.
    Not having sold guitars on eBay, but having sold many items in the collectibles category, I didn't realize this. But yeah, there is a special 3.5% category for guitars and basses implemented in 2017. The only reasonable explanation is that reverb was (is?) taking a big chunk of this category from eBay.

'Course that still pales in comparison with Heritage total fees: 15% from the buyer and 25% from the seller from the final bid price.

User Info Menu

Beware Outrageous Ebay Listing Fees-20191106_110856-jpg
    Beware Outrageous Ebay Listing Fees-20191106_111722-jpg
    Beware Outrageous Ebay Listing Fees-20191106_111751-jpg
    Beware Outrageous Ebay Listing Fees-20191106_111810-jpg

User Info Menu

^

Ka-razy

User Info Menu

Every time I did a new listing I would see a fee charge. But I just assumed it was contingent on the sale of the item. Who would think that these charges were incurred for just listing the item? I mean who does this in the business world? Why not just eliminate the reserve option instead of gouging people like this? Hell, I'm selling the stuff because I lost my job over a year ago. Dam, its just a kick in the nuts as far as I am concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    ^

Ka-razy

User Info Menu

I love the irony that at the bottom invoice and after showing the transaction fee total it says; "How do I pay my invoice?"

User Info Menu

These fees are the only reason maintains the reserve option. They actually know that a reserve the way they do it actually discourages bidders, meaning that sellers often list something multiple times before realizing they are getting charged.

User Info Menu

This thread is an eye opener.
    Thanks for posting Wildcat, long time member and contributor to this forum and everyone else that's chimed in so far.
    keep 'em comin....

User Info Menu

Is there also a success fee on top of, and separate to, the reserve price listing fee?

User Info Menu

eBay started out as a great idea. The average person could empty his attic and basement of stuff by reaching a large audience. I quit selling on it years ago because of the fees and some of the goofy buyers.

My favorite story is an Asian Epiphone Chet Atkins acoustic I sold for maybe $300 or $250. I shipped it right away. UPS was delayed due to tornados by two days. The tracking showed that. The buyer claimed he was the manager for the Eagles and they needed the guitar for a recording session. The guitar arrived a day too late. He put in a dispute. I noticed that he primarily bought farm items and car parts in his history. That froze my account for a few weeks and took up a fair amount of time.

In the end, he promised me back stage passes if the Eagles played near me. I'm still waiting.

User Info Menu

Not sure if this has changed, but when I've listed in the past I used a starting price instead of reserve price--there was no charge for that and it got the same results.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Yes I believe so. Never went that far to find out for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedalus
    Is there also a success fee on top of, and separate to, the reserve price listing fee?

User Info Menu

I just sold a bunch of film camera gear using the buy it now price. The invoice I received was for 10% of the sale = $250!!!! I've also been on eBay for a long time but I haven't been selling anything the past year. So because of that, I've been lazy about reading their update emails. So I guess I can't blame anyone but me. I've decided that everything else will be going on CL instead.

User Info Menu

Strbender,
    You personal experience reinforces why I started this posting/thread.

I assumed that the status quo is the case. But that cant be anything further from the truth. The business practices online are flexible and subject to change. I did the same by assuming everything was the same on Ebay after not having used it for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Strbender
    I just sold a bunch of film camera gear using the buy it now price. The invoice I received was for 10% of the sale = $250!!!! I've also been on eBay for a long time but I haven't been selling anything the past year. So because of that, I've been lazy about reading their update emails. So I guess I can't blame anyone but me. I've decided that everything else will be going on CL instead.