The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

Hello I just got a vintage Yamaha sa20 guitar as present from my dad.

I would like to get an amp with warm sound suitable for jazz / bossanova playing. Which guys do you recommend? As I just starting out for practicing at home in room, I would not like immediately to buy the most expensive one ( budget around 100-150 ).

I am thinking choosing between fender mustang i v2, fender frontman 25r, fender champion.

Thanks for helping out!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi, what is your location? It may help.

truthfully I didn’t like any of your suggestions. The frontman is OK, but if you buy used you can get a lot more amp for your money. For instance, I got an older fender sidekick for $40 on Craigslist, it’s actually a giggable amp.

User Info Menu

Consider a used Peavey Bandit. The clean channel works very well for jazz tones. You should be able to find one in your price range.

User Info Menu

I don’t like digital modeling amps in general. The best option is any cheap solid state amp with a very dry sound that’s perfect for jazz. My former guitar teacher had for example a vintage Yamaha DG60-112 in his office and practice room. That amp was really nice! I recommend you to buy one if you find one for sale. It’s probably a bit too expensive for your budget, but the amp is perfect for jazz and got a warm sound.

User Info Menu

You might want to keep and eye open for discounts on the Boss Katana 50. They just came out with a new MK ii generation. Both generations are currently in distribution. You will find some lengthy threads here about the Katana 50, if you search this group.

I will admit I no longer use my Katana. The DV Mark Little Jazz gives me everything I need in a package that 10 lbs lighter.

User Info Menu

Of the three amps you listed, I go with the Champion.
    Something from the Roland Cube series would work great too.
    Yamaha THR10 is also a nice choice for a practice amp.

User Info Menu

If you don't mind paying 1-200 then keep an eye out for an older Roland Cube 40 or 60 (with the orange cover usually), or an older Yamaha G50 or G30. Both are really good solid state amps and can seem to generally be found within that price range, in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by vintagelove
    Hi, what is your location? It may help.

truthfully I didn’t like any of your suggestions. The frontman is OK, but if you buy used you can get a lot more amp for your money. For instance, I got an older fender sidekick for $40 on Craigslist, it’s actually a giggable amp.
    I am from the Netherlands. But overall I see the most of you guys recommend to take an used amp from higher class? I do not have much knowledge about the amplifiers. I just start out and want to already play with the typical jazz sounds.

User Info Menu

Look for a used Fender Princeton Chorus, Roland Cube, Peavey Bandit, Yamaha G series - be patient and you should be able to find something in a short while.

https://www.marktplaats.nl/l/muziek-en-instrumenten/q/boss+versterker/

User Info Menu

I would go with a Champion 20 of your choices.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JaxJaxon
    I would go with a Champion 20 of your choices.
    + 1. I have one. It's simple to use, sounds great, and is cheap.

John

Thanks for responses guys! So between boss katana 50 or roland cube?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ikratkoye
    I just start out and want to already play with the typical jazz sounds.
    I think any of those small Fender solid state amps will get you started. Don't spend a lot of money, buy used if you can.

Isn't that Yamaha a 12 string?

User Info Menu

I could sell you a brand new dv mark little jazz for 250 euro. Bit above your budget but it's a great amp, many here gig with these.
    Still has the hangtags on it.. bought it to play on the sofa downstairs but the kids (babies) wouldn't leave it alone.
    One tried to stand on it (stopped him before he could), so i moved it back upstairs but I have already too many amps there so it's just sitting there.
    I'm in antwerp, belgium.
    Last edited by waltf; 11-04-2019 at 01:29 PM.

User Info Menu

The Champ is inexpensive, has a decent clean sound. Small tube amps that are under 20 watts will also sound good, I have a Fender Blues Jr for practice. Almost any amp will do for practice, so may I suggest you go to a local music store and just try some of their amps out using your guitar. Remember, as Leo Fender once said: " the guitar is 50% of the sound, the amplifier is the other 50%.. " so they have to work together. Some amps just don't sound good with certain guitars, to you have to try them out first to find one that sounds good with your guitar.

Jay

User Info Menu

DV Mark (the small one), hands down! They are Italian made. Easier to get in Europe than In the USA, though.

User Info Menu

I have the LJ and use it in preference to my other amps.

But, it's over the OP's budget.

For dirt cheap great sound I like the Crate GFX15. They're widely available used and sell for about $35.

I love the sound for practice.

I'm not sure about reliability. I'd suggest wiggling the speaker wires to verify that the amp doesn't get noisy.
    I don't take mine to gigs (although I did, successfully, in the past) because it sometimes cuts out, but it's fine for practice.

User Info Menu

I just took a look at that Yamaha, essentially like and ES 335 but a 12 string.
    Here is a link to website on the Yamaha Super Axe (SA) series, very informative: https://superaxe.vanpolanenpetel.net/TheSupposedStringMeister/?page_id=399

That will be interesting for Jazz. Of course, you can string it up as a 6 string. Have fun.

User Info Menu

You might want to look at the tube amps at Monoprice (monoprice.com). They sell a 5 watt version (Fender Champ 5F1 knockoff) for $115 and a 15-watt version (Fender Deluxe 5E3 knockoff) for $250. A YouTuber called Uncle Doug has a review of the 5 watt amp and Darrell Braun has a review of the 15 watt amp. I've included the links below.

I have the 5-watt version. I bought it two years ago around Christmas time with a 20% discount. I think that I paid $90 with the discount code. I replaced the tubes with JJ's and the speaker with a Warehouse Guitar G8C ($40) and it sounds great. Even with those mods I still have less than $150 invested in a tube amp that sounds very good. My only knock is that the cabinet is cheap 1/2" (12 mm?) particleboard. Now that the weather has cooled off here in Arizona, and I can get back out to my garage workshop, I will be building a replacement cabinet out of 3/4" pine.

Hope that helps. Best of luck in your search.

Cary

Quote Originally Posted by arielcee
    If you don't mind paying 1-200 then keep an eye out for an older Roland Cube 40 or 60 (with the orange cover usually), or an older Yamaha G50 or G30. Both are really good solid state amps and can seem to generally be found within that price range, in my experience.
    I find orange roland cube 60 bass vintage 100 euros. But this bass is the same like you mentioned ?