The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

ILePower music stand light.-51cotmov2zl-_sl1001_-jpg
    I bought one of these 2 years ago. It's always worked fine but lately won't charge (or hold a charge).

Is that the life expectancy of these things and I should just get a new one? (They cost around 20 bucks).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I bought one that uses AAA batteries, or an AC adapter, and it's still working fine after 4 or so years. Rechargeable batteries die after a number of recharges, the number varying widely. It's probably time to get another light, but I suggest one that uses replaceable batteries. I use rechargeable AAA NiMH batteries in mine.
    Mighty Bright for Music Performance | The HammerHead Music Stand Light

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I bought one that uses AAA batteries, or an AC adapter, and it's still working fine after 4 or so years. Rechargeable batteries die after a number of recharges, the number varying widely. It's probably time to get another light, but I suggest one that uses replaceable batteries. I use rechargeable AAA NiMH batteries in mine.
    Mighty Bright for Music Performance | The HammerHead Music Stand Light
    Thanks!
    The battery in this light is NOT replaceable. (They tell you that up front.) And if it lasts 2 years that's not the worst thing. But I wonder if that's less than normal.

Mighty Bright looks good. Definitly will consider it. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Lithium batteries can fail early, depending on the exact composition of the material in them. Scientists have just figured out why. They can develop crystals internally, which reduce the charge and can pierce the membrane inside, which is why they can suddenly catch fire. The new research may allow better and safer LiIon batteries, but better technology may be available in the near future. Battery technology keeps advancing.

User Info Menu

+1 on Mighty Bright!

User Info Menu

I wish good, useful products were not built with disposal, rather than repair in mind.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    +1 on Mighty Bright!
    Looking hard at the Mighty Bright. Did you buy the AC adapter with it? (It doesn't come with one.) I think it might pay for itself because the battery life (3 AAA batteries) doesn't seem to be long (7 hours????) Thoughts?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Looking hard at the Mighty Bright. Did you buy the AC adapter with it? (It doesn't come with one.) I think it might pay for itself because the battery life (3 AAA batteries) doesn't seem to be long (7 hours????) Thoughts?
    Hi,
    I have an adapter for one of them; the batteries seem to last quite a while, though, actually. Seven hours doesn't sound correct; last year I bought a larger Might Brite stand light for a musical i was in; lots of rehearsals on stage, two weeks of shows ("Little Shop"), a couple other gigs this year with it, and it's still running the original set of batteries!

User Info Menu

I use rechargeable batteries in most things (AA, 18650, 16340 [CR123]), but in my music stand light I just use regular AAA. They last quite awhile.

User Info Menu

I have the same Mighty Bright model. Uses regular batteries or charger. Mine has to be at least 5 years old and still functions. I use it everyday, plugged in and for occasional gigs when I need additional lighting. If I had to replace it, I would get the same model.

User Info Menu

Costco sells these for $25/pair online, and less in the store. They work great, have 3 brightness levels, and use standard AAA batteries.

User Info Menu

I didn't buy the official Mighty Bright adapter, I had one already on hand that works fine. Any 5V wall wart will do, if you have the proper connector. I have a multi-connector I acquired somewhere, long ago, that has 4 different sizes of connectors that works with a USB extension cable, but mostly I use an adapter that has the right size connector. I can't remember what device it originally came with. I have so many AC adapters acquired over the years that I can't keep track of what goes to what. I just go through the bag until I find a suitable adapter, and I have one for almost anything. I have 5, 6, 9, and 12 volt adapters, and various connectors that can convert sizes. Some I've rewired to be center negative, for use with pedals. It's easy enough to do, just clip the cable and resolder the wires in reverse.

User Info Menu

This is not a budget pick but this is what I use after trying a number of different lights.

https://www.amazon.com/Aria-D1-Music...ct_top?ie=UTF8

User Info Menu

Mighty Bright is good, but tablet with ForScore and iRealPro a million times better!

User Info Menu

My big band has a box of about 30 Mighty Bright lights, in several styles. I prefer the two-headed ones because they cover my charts better. I have no idea about alkaline battery life, since they always seem to have good batteries at gigs. I'm pretty sure they only get new batteries when someone complains.

When I've used one for pit band gigs I use Eneloops & recharge overnight. As a test I left one for eight hours and it was still quite usable.

Danny W.
    Last edited by Danny W.; 10-29-2019 at 01:13 AM.

User Info Menu

At home I'm still using the old clip on light w/the long bulb that screws in and electric cord.
    man, what a dinosaur I can be, but I'm still on the first bulb a zillion yrs later

User Info Menu

I have so many AC adapters acquired over the years that I can't keep track of what goes to what. I just go through the bag until I find a suitable adapter, and I have one for almost anything.
    I'm getting to be like that. I don't plan to buy a MB adapter b/c I'm sure something I have on hand will work.

Btw, I have contacted LePower and they have responded. Twice, now. First, they wanted the order number, which I provided. Second, they asked me if I would try the light with another adapter. I haven't done that yet but will.

Their warranty is 12 months and I've had it longer so I think I'm just out of luck. Not the worst thing. I'll get a Mighty Bright and try my luck with that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    This is not a budget pick but this is what I use after trying a number of different lights.

https://www.amazon.com/Aria-D1-Music...ct_top?ie=UTF8
    That is a nice looking light!

User Info Menu

Manhasset is the name in music stands and lights that you find in orchestra pits, and on stage at high schools and colleges. Reputation for holding up to demanding use. They finally have an LED light that uses batteries or A/C adapter. Reasonable price, I need one.

Manhasset LED Lamp ll | Musician's Friend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Manhasset is the name in music stands and lights that you find in orchestra pits, and on stage at high schools and colleges. Reputation for holding up to demanding use. They finally have an LED light that uses batteries or A/C adapter. Reasonable price, I need one.

Manhasset LED Lamp ll | Musician's Friend

Looks good. I have a Manhassat stand. (Description says this was designed for those stands. Should think it would fit similar ones, though.) 3-year warranty. That's a plus. Adapter included, but not batteries (3 AAA). Good price, under $22 bucks. Good deal!

User Info Menu

I hadn't seen that light before. Manhasset is indeed one of the most reputable names, and if I need another light I'll definitely look at that one. Perhaps not as portable as the Mighty Bright, but portability isn't always the most important factor.

User Info Menu

I hadn't seen that light before. Manhasset is indeed one of the most reputable names, and if I need another light I'll definitely look at that one. Perhaps not as portable as the Mighty Bright, but portability isn't always the most important factor.
    One concern in a few negative reviews I have seen is that the light (because of its large shell) casts an undesireable shadow.

User Info Menu

Whether it casts an undesirable shadow or shields the light from others who don't want to see it may depend on the view of the individual. I haven't see the light, so I have no opinion.

User Info Menu

Just because they say the batteries are not replaceable does not mean you can't pry it apart and see what is in there.

I have done that with lots of things. After all it does not work now so how much can you hurt it.

You should be able to see where the glue lines are and some careful work with a x-acto knife should get it apart.

User Info Menu

I have this one and have been pleased with it. Similar design, but runs on 3 AAs, or USB/AC.

https://www.amazon.com/GLORIOUS-LITE...dp/B0785P8G1X/