The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 42

User Info Menu

HI Guys,
    Since I didnt sell it, its kinda like a new guitar to me now.
    So here are a couple of Videos of the 165. No Amp. Straight through a Boss GT-001. Into my laptops' USB. Using YouCam6 for video and Audio capture.
    I hope you like..
    Joe D

BTW.. The arrangement on Hark.. Is from my friend, the great Chris Whiteman. The arrangement on Close to You is by Tommy Emmanuel. I wish he was my friend too.. But I am glad I got Chris..

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

nice Joe D...it's amazing what a change in perspective can do!!...a fresh point of view...

tho, as i've writ before, you could make a 100 buck squier sound good!

enjoy your "new" friend...

(some solid low notes..thoms!)

cheers

User Info Menu

I didn't listen to Hark, maybe after Thanksgiving
    But we've been playing Close in our organ trio lately using this arrangement by the great yet sadly underrated Leon Spencer

If you like B3 organ check him out, I'm pretty sure Neatomic is hip.
    Nice job Joe!

User Info Menu

its a bacharach/hal david tune..imho they could do no wrong!!!

hal david was genius of simplistic yet heavy verse...and bacharach king of melody...even at his sweetest..its tasty

cheers

User Info Menu

Beautiful Joe, as always

Big

User Info Menu

Very nice JD! Once again you prove that only a Gibson is good enough.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    But we've been playing Close in our organ trio lately using this arrangement by the great yet sadly underrated Leon Spencer

Nice job Joe!

Absolutely fabulous Wintermoon, I love the B3, the guitarist ,not so dusty either!!
    a great start to the day , as well as Joe's two contributions which were a knockout
    Congratulations to you both.

Best , Silverfoxx

User Info Menu

Cool videos Max,

where did you get the Ebony bridge? i want to replace my gold Tom with wood Rosewood or Ebony.

User Info Menu

Just gorgeous. Thanks, Joe!

User Info Menu

My kind of Christmas song ! No Santa nonsense. Thanks bro. Real Christmas music is my absolute favorite. Nice tribute to Karen too. What a voice she had. That 165 sounds sweet.

User Info Menu

I always enjoy Christmas songs and you did a very good take on that one Joe. We have had 2 snowstorms already this year and we are looking at some fresh snow today. So for me, it seems like a perfect time to listen to a Christmas song.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    nice Joe D...it's amazing what a change in perspective can do!!...a fresh point of view... tho, as i've writ before, you could make a 100 buck squier sound good!
    enjoy your "new" friend...(some solid low notes..thoms!)
    cheers
    Neatomic, Thank you sir. The guitar is more than capable. It’s the most balanced sounding guitar I’ve had. The clarity on the lows is extraordinary. It’s made handle it. It’s a beautiful acoustic guitar and the BJB turns it into a bonifide 175.
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Nice job Joe!
    Thanks WM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    Beautiful Joe, as always
    Big
    Mikey, thanks buddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Very nice JD! Once again you prove that only a Gibson is good enough.....
    SS, Yep. I admit it. Totally.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    a great start to the day , as well as Joe's two contributions which were a knockout
    Congratulations to you both.
    Best , Silverfoxx
    Thanks 007.
    Quote Originally Posted by Durban
    Cool videos Max,
    where did you get the Ebony bridge? i want to replace my gold Tom with wood Rosewood or Ebony.
    Thanks Durban. The bridges came with the guitar. I like the TM better though. But right now, it’s on another guitar.
    I’m one of those people who can’t really tell the difference. I like the intonation of the TM, and the high E string slot on the rosewood bridge is cut ever so slightly too deep and it deadens the string a little.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Just gorgeous. Thanks, Joe!
    C74, thank you sir. It’s my pleasure. Completely.
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    My kind of Christmas song ! No Santa nonsense. Thanks bro. Real Christmas music is my absolute favorite. Nice tribute to Karen too. What a voice she had. That 165 sounds sweet.
    I did that for you bro. I love Christmas. I don’t have this feeling at any other time Of the year. A lot people feel the same way, and there is a reason for it.
    Karen had had one of the greatest voices of all time. They needed a lead female vocalist who could play the drums in heaven and that’s why we haven’t heard anything new from her in years..
    the 165 sounds good right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cushman
    I always enjoy Christmas songs and you did a very good take on that one Joe. We have had 2 snowstorms already this year and we are looking at some fresh snow today. So for me, it seems like a perfect time to listen to a Christmas song.
    Matt, thank you. 3 snows already? Yuk. Stay warm and stay safe bro. And set a nice little slice of ebony aside for me sir. Maybe 2..

User Info Menu

Man, I've never been able to stand "Close To You." But Joe, you re-claimed that tune for me with this performance! Your arrangement?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Man, I've never been able to stand "Close To You." But Joe, you re-claimed that tune for me with this performance! Your arrangement?
    C, Thanks, I appreciate . It’s Tommy Emmanuels arrangement. But don’t listen to his version. Because you will quickly realize how mediocre my playing really is!
    Thanks, Joe D

User Info Menu

Joe,

For one, I'd love the music for the Hark arrangement. Who/what/cost? ;-)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    C, Thanks, I appreciate . It’s Tommy Emmanuels arrangement. But don’t listen to his version. Because you will quickly realize how mediocre my playing really is!Thanks, Joe D
    Few if any would look mediocre to Tommys playing, right? I would say you do more than just justice to the tune.

User Info Menu

Joe I always like your contributions to the forum. Your playing inspires me to "go and do likewise."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    Few if any would look mediocre to Tommys playing, right? I would say you do more than just justice to the tune.
    Thank you DMG. I love the song. At some point I want to do another Carpenters song. But I have to stop learning new (old) songs. They just push stuff I already know out the back of my head..
    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Joe I always like your contributions to the forum. Your playing inspires me to "go and do likewise."
    Thank you Lawson. I came to the realization that I cant do what you do. You have a feel and therefore, a desire to learn Jazz and Bop soloing. I can probably do it, but my heart is not in it, so it doesn't stick. If I was on a band, I'd have to learn what You, Fred Archtop, DB's Guitar Blog and many others do so well. Until then, I'll box myself into what I like and hope that other people find it be OK. Thanks for always being a gentleman.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Thank you DMG. I love the song. At some point I want to do another Carpenters song. But I have to stop learning new (old) songs. They just push stuff I already know out the back of my head..

Thank you Lawson. I came to the realization that I cant do what you do. You have a feel and therefore, a desire to learn Jazz and Bop soloing. I can probably do it, but my heart is not in it, so it doesn't stick. If I was on a band, I'd have to learn what You, Fred Archtop, DB's Guitar Blog and many others do so well. Until then, I'll box myself into what I like and hope that other people find it be OK. Thanks for always being a gentleman.
    JD
    Hey "what I do" is pretty modest. I suck so bad at improvisational line playing, I have embarked on a quest at least to learn some good lines but I still find it hard to improvise and use that stuff. Your doing the Johnny Smith and Joe Pass solos really captures my heart. I want to learn one of those myself, and even picked it out--"Here's That Rainy Day" from Virtuoso. But I just get intimidated looking at the first line!

You are a keeper of the flame, sir, and I will keep lighting my candle at your flame.

User Info Menu

Please Believe me, I am not refreshing this thread with a meaningless "to the top" post.. I just wanted to say something.
    Once again, I am really glad I didnt sell this guitar. I have been playing the 165 acoustically more and more lately. I think, it has the sweetest acoustic sound that I can ever ask for. Electrically, with the BJB, the guitar is no slouch. But acoustically its an outstanding guitar. It combines the playing smoothness of the 175 design with a floating pickup. The Floater takes advantage of the underestimated acoustic properties of the 3-1/2" body depth of the 165/175. The pickguard is fastened in the normal way to the rim and with a screw into the top by the cutaway. But Gibson also screwed it into the top with one screw, close to where the bridge meets the body. The result is an incredibly solid feeling guitar that becomes a beautiful acoustic version of the iconic 175.
    I love this guitar.
    Anyone looking at a floater 165, should not discount its value as an incredibly versatile guitar. And its damn pretty too..
    JD

User Info Menu

Joe, I know that you pine for a L5. It's a great guitar no doubt. My first jazz guitar was a 175. I parted with it years ago. I was seduced by carve tops and at my level of play found them to be superior to me making music. I have alway had an L5 since then, either a Ces or a Wes but always had an L5. On a lark I bought a 175vos from the CME sale. I'm not dissing the l5 it's a great sounding and playing instrument really top notch but if I'm being honest I prefer to play my cheap little 175. I'm not saying the 175 sounds better,(it's no slouch acoustically or electrically) but it's such a relaxing guitar to play between the scale length and size. I can play it for longer periods of time. In the end inspiration comes from several things. I am spoiled in the guitar department no doubt about it. If at this point I could only own 1 guitar I think I'd pick the 175. Go figure....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    Joe, I know that you pine for a L5. It's a great guitar no doubt. My first jazz guitar was a 175. I parted with it years ago. I was seduced by carve tops and at my level of play found them to be superior to me making music. I have alway had an L5 since then, either a Ces or a Wes but always had an L5. On a lark I bought a 175vos from the CME sale. I'm not dissing the l5 it's a great sounding and playing instrument really top notch but if I'm being honest I prefer to play my cheap little 175. I'm not saying the 175 sounds better,(it's no slouch acoustically or electrically) but it's such a relaxing guitar to play between the scale length and size. I can play it for longer periods of time. In the end inspiration comes from several things. I am spoiled in the guitar department no doubt about it. If at this point I could only own 1 guitar I think I'd pick the 175. Go figure....
    SB, A nice L5 is in my immediate future. This time I will appreciate it, unlike the first 2 I had.
    But you are so right. A 175 type guitar, particularly a good acoustic one like this is almost a necessity for what we play.
    Thanks everyone.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Oops I did it again. After kicking myself when Joe offered his 165 BJB for a killer price and not jumping on it, I finally found one for only $1850 and bought it. Should be here this week and from the pics it looks like a mint condition example. I do have the opportunity to back out if I don’t like it which is a good thing. Unfortunately it isn’t the gorgeous ice tea burst - just the standard dark burst, but I am OK with that. I do have a ‘91 490 set HB HE which I love to death. It will be interesting to compare the neck on the one that I just purchased. Supposedly it is a 2005. Time to move out another guitar to make room for this one.