The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 40 of 40

User Info Menu

There was a plate on there @ some point, you can see the filled screw holes.
    I like that single pickup one @ Lark St. It might be possible to reduce the old stick on initials, but it wouldn't be a deal killer for me.
    I have a '47 single pu blonde that's seen its share of gigs, cool guitars they are.
    That said if you put your 300 next to the 350 w the big repair I'd keep the 300 personally. At least until I found something I liked better.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well, for what it's worth, that repair really doesn't particularly bother me that much. These are old instruments, the wood is often fragile, and good playing instruments often lead a hard life because they get, well, played. My guess is that the guitar got dropped, possibly when a strap let go, with the jack plugged into the guitar. That caved in the wood around the jack. Short of replacing the entire side, there was going to be no way to make that repair look good- a new side would've meant a refinish. By doing a small limited repair around the jack, the rest of the finish was allowed to remain in place. To me that is just an honest part of the history of the instrument.

If I thought that the price was reasonable, I would check the guitar out and play it. If I liked it, I would buy it. Plus, I think you have to see this sort of repair in person rather than from photographs. An ES-350 is a remarkable instrument and is one of the most classic sounds of jazz guitar to my ears. And, geez, the sunburst on that thing is just gorgeous.

User Info Menu

That can be structurally repaired. The dark sunburst shading can be extended to cover the repair. I had Candelario Delgado do an expert repair on a guitar years ago in the same area. You can't tell easily and the guitar sounds the same.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog
    You own a 300 too next to your 350?

DB
    Yes, but my ES-300 is not original. The P90 was ripped off at some point, before I got it. It is equipped with a Pete Biltoft CC PU. My ES-350 is all original, from 1955 (3rd model with toggle switch).

Gibon ES-350-es-350-jpgGibon ES-350-es-300-jpg

Cheers.

User Info Menu

Some things that appear to be seriously made at first sight May have hidden imperfections that can cause troubles as time goes.It's what I understand as a non-english-speaker.

User Info Menu

That oval part around the jack looks like a professional repair to me, with paint job and all. The flanking cracks must be younger than that as I suspect that the repairman that has done the oval part wouldn't have left those cracks like this. A later accident with the plug may have caused those two cracks as well as the small ones around the jack. Quite typical that the cracks have appeared outside the repaired area as the new oval wood piece and the glued seams are sturdier than the old wood. Now those flanking cracks don't look stable to me. Yet the shop says in the description that they are stable. Therefore I suspect that some repairwork could have been made from the inside that may or may not have been done professionally. And if not done professionally, it should devalue the guitar even more. That's all that I was saying. Take a look at the jack area from the inside and you will know more. If the flanking cracks haven't been dealt with yet, i wouldn't call that area stable.

User Info Menu

You think that input looks really bad?!?

Ha, this is how the input of my 125 was repaired:

It doesn't bother me the least! (But okay, it cost me only around 1/5th of that 350....).

My personal opinion: I think you're just having G.A.S. and I don't think that 350 has anything more to offer than your 300, besides maybe easier acces to the upper frets. But hey, I get it, it looks great and you only live once, so if you lose sleep for not having the 350 go for it!
    Last edited by Little Jay; 10-22-2019 at 09:05 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    With EU 5400 being $6000. US, they've got it priced as though the repair adds value. They've already reduced the price by EU 500., and I'd say they have another 1500 EU to go......

For me that's just too close to L-5 money - - -and an L-5 without a repair that significant

Good luck DB, just MHO...
    But an L5 and an ES-350 are totally different animals. Yes an L5 *should* cost more from a build perspective (carved, bling), but if you want the ES-350/P90 sound and vibe, well....

If I could handle a 17" guitar, the ES-350 would be my choice.

User Info Menu

By the way guys, late 40s blonde ES 300s in good condition are cheaper but not THAT much cheaper than ES 350s from that era. The blonde ES 300s are simply very rare. Here's a screen shot from a few months ago on reverb. Prices are in euros!

DB

Gibon ES-350-reverb-16-june-2019-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog
    By the way guys, late 40s blonde ES 300s in good condition are cheaper but not THAT much cheaper than ES 350s from that era. The blonde ES 300s are simply very rare. Here's a screen shot from a few months ago on reverb. Prices are in euros!

DB

Gibon ES-350-reverb-16-june-2019-jpg
    Don't forget that asking prices are just that, those won't actually sell @ those prices.

User Info Menu

And here's one that appeared for sale a while back in Europe -- not sure, maybe Paris ??......." The stuff that dreams are made of - -"
    Gibon ES-350-es-250-1-640x480-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    And here's one that appeared for sale a while back in Europe -- not sure, maybe Paris ??......." The stuff that dreams are made of - -"
    Gibon ES-350-es-250-1-640x480-jpg
    That's an ES- 250 Dennis

User Info Menu

FWIW, my beloved 1966 ES-125 CD has very similar damage, with two imbricated symmetrical pairs of cracks around the output jack. I never really investigated how it was repaired, but there is one thing that I know: since I bought it in late 2008, it has been 100% stable. Within this period of time, my guitar has moved from living in a very damp house in northern England to the south of France and to the desertic shores of the Persian Gulf where it's been gigged both indoors and outdoors. Actually one of the most stable guitars I own.

Now of course, I did not pay 5.4k EUR for it...

User Info Menu

The repair does not bother me as a guitar player; I just won't pay the asking for it. I see six pins drilled around the rim. They appear to be pins for a reinforcement plate.

I get it that sellers try their luck with an unrealistic, for its condition, asking price but a repair is a repair. Take a rational cold appraisal of its market value, not as a lovelorn guitar player, but as a speculator who considers resale value. In an intact condition, I would safely say it might be worth $4500, same as a similar vintage ES-175 with P90s. In its repaired state, 50% of $4500 i.e. $2750. $3000 when I am feeling generous.

$3750 ~ €3400. Plus €250 in shipping. €3650.

Make him this offer or else walk away and be happy with what you have got.

PS I don't like the tone of cutaways.

Hey DB, forget about that ES-350, you can come and play my '49 ES-5N if you want more than one P90 and a cutaway ;-) And believe it or not: I'm also in the Netherlands!