The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 80

User Info Menu

The revulsion against the Heritage headstock has diminished over the decades, but it is not dead. I can give you the story as told to me by those who created the design.

These experienced Gibson luthiers could have made any headstock design. They wanted a strong enough angle to secure the string in the nut and allow crisp notes that transmit down the neck. This creates a vulnerability for headstock breaks like a Gibson but is worth it.

The "snake head" shape of the headstock seemed important to them to prevent the strings from being stuck on the nut when tuning and string bending. The Gibson, Guild and Martin headstocks were designed before bending thinner strings was so popular. They wanted a straighter path from nut to tuner for that reason. A minor benefit to the design was slight weight relief to the headstock.

Heritage tried several designs prior to production. The four luthiers agreed on the current one due to improved function. That's their story.

Here are the Gibson and Epiphone.

Heritage headstock function-epiphone-get-gibson-headstock-shape-jpg

Martin

Heritage headstock function-d870aea467fd6d2a4533b2a64d4ccba4-jpg

Fender

Heritage headstock function-b60045346c0e7c945588f1bb95e34744-jpg

PRS

Heritage headstock function-7882d2627f3216c526d1793de914e359-jpg

Gibson Pat Martino

Heritage headstock function-25238ab9-8af6-4bf6-9a6d-a7161903404e-jpg

Thornton

Heritage headstock function-image_2926-jpg

Heritage

Heritage headstock function-tyueusnqxhkenoffolxs-jpg

Aesthetics are judged personally and intuitively. Function is another matter. The guitar brands designed from inception to be electric have a straighter string line to the tuner.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've always loved the Heritage headstock. It's functional and pretty, what more could it possibly be?

User Info Menu

I love the Heritage headstock. Especially the ones attached to Golden and Super Eagles. It signifies that you get 7/8’s the guitar for 1/2 the price.
    Made by the same folks on the original machines.
    JD

User Info Menu

In all my years I have never had an issue that I could attribute to headstock design. Been bending on Gibsons for decades without issue. So you can call me shallow but for me personally, it's fashion over psuedo function. And the Heritage design unfortunately is not at all appealing to me at all. Ymmv of course.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wengr
    In all my years I have never had an issue that I could attribute to headstock design. Been bending on Gibsons for decades without issue. So you can call me shallow but for me personally, it's fashion over psuedo function. And the Heritage design unfortunately is not at all appealing to me at all. Ymmv of course.
    Well, I'm not going to arm wrestle over that point. I will concede that with a file and nut sauce the Gibson design works okay for me. I'm just reporting the thinking that went into their design.

Heritage headstock function-firebird-jpg

User Info Menu

My only quibble with the Heritage headstock is the way they did the points at the top. If it was shorter (To make room for a one line rather than two line logo), or just a simple curve, I'd have liked it a lot better. But as it is I don't have the visceral reaction many people seem to have. And TBH I am usually looking at their superb sunburst finishes rather than the headstock- Heritage has long done the best 'bursts in the biz.

User Info Menu

Funny.

With all the headstocks pictured, and a few un-pictured (Benedetto, Sadowsky...), one and only one is decidedly just plain awkward, clumsy, and arguably ugly.

One can argue for functionality of the heritage headstock, but it is simply creating a more direct string pull through the nut. This is a very very very good idea.

And many other headstocks accomplish this.

Yet only Heritage manages to make it awkward and clumsy.

Great idea to make Kalamazoo guitars, but awkward and clumsy seems to fit the company in so many ways over so many years.

In that sense the headstock is a perfect representation.

Great ideas and some great guitars. But constant miss-steps and a remarkable hubris exhibited as “the” Heritage shows some remarkable disregard for market reaction to their mostly fine guitars.

The headstock is just fine, and an absolutely perfect reflection of the company overall. It gets the job done, while showing a very mild smug contempt.

Interesting.

User Info Menu

Yep ! Funny, when I read "clumsy and ugly" I immediatly thought "Thornton";-)The only problem with Heritage headstock is not being a classic Open book I think.

User Info Menu

Squash all arguments:

Attached Images Attached Images Heritage headstock function-claasguitars_headless_headpiece_hardware_customshop-3-225x300-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Squash all arguments:
    In France it's named a Louis XVI headstock.

User Info Menu

What? Something unfortunate happened to Louis XVI?

User Info Menu

From a pure design point of view, it seems that the heritage headstock suffers from the concave figures at the top of the head. They make the sides of the head appear to bow out slightly, even though they are straight.

I understand the “heritage” behind this headstock. But man, what an unfortunate choice considering the many simple fixes to this.

But if one loves a given ‘the’ heritage guitar, I am sure one can get past the awkward headstock easily.

Does it matter really?

(Maybe yes.)

User Info Menu

I think the worst headstock design title is reserved for D'Angelico guitars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bezoeker
    Sneezing while shaving I think...

User Info Menu

The execution of Louis XVI by means of the guillotine, a major event of the French Revolution, took place on 21 January 1793

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    The execution of Louis XVI by means of the guillotine, a major event of the French Revolution, took place on 21 January 1793
    That’s why it is considered revolutionary headstock.

User Info Menu

Thanks Marty. I always appreciate the backstory to the guitars that we play and love. And, I understand the explicit desire to avoid the worm hole that threads can go down when discussing aesthetics preference of various designs. That dead horse has been beaten thoroughly enough on other threads. I hadn't given it much thought to the practical merits of a straighter path to the tuners, but as someone that frequently uses the peghead for upper strap support I do notice some of my guitars strings lay closer to the headstock just above the nut that others, making it a little more difficult to thread underneath and around. Totally different issue though. Cheers!

User Info Menu

Unfortunately the old guard at Heritage had no talent for aesthetic design. Not sure if was just lack of talent or just apathy. Hopefully Pete Farmer and the new owners will take more care in this area.It does seem that they understand that also is important when selling guitars.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for my opinion on this, but I stand 100% by it.

User Info Menu

if they'd have scalloped the sides it would look better.
    it just doesn't look balanced w/the rest of the guitar either, it's just....there
    no offense to those that own and love them though....
    but the early L-5 is an elegant and functional design

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Ah, thanks for clarifying.

I was afraid it was worse, like he had lost his VHS copy of the “Best of Jerry Lewis” or something.

User Info Menu

looks fine to me
    Attached Images Attached Images Heritage headstock function-dsc_7742-jpg 

User Info Menu

and the rest of them can be pretty nice too
    Attached Images Attached Images Heritage headstock function-dsc_8760-1-jpg 

User Info Menu

De Gustibus...I think the old D'Angelico headstock is absolutely classic.

User Info Menu

Personally I wouldn't have chosen that headstock design if I were Heritage, but I'm way past that. Thorntons are very nice. Gibsons win though.

If I were in the market to get only a headstock, it would be a Gibson. So far I've always needed the entire guitar package.

My point in this thread is that there was some logic to their design. And it's true, Heritage hasn't been a marketing wizard.

User Info Menu

I have had a Heritage Sweet 16 since somewhere around 1995 and never gave the headstock shape a moment's thought, save that headstock shape mavens made me do. I still never think about it.