User Info Menu

Hello, I play mostly classical guitar. I raised Thomastik Swing Flats JS111 on my Squier, which i play in fingerstyle. The wrapped G string unfortunately destroys my longer nails, which I need for the classic guitar.

Ask for a tip for flats with a plain G string.

Thanks
    Reinhard
    Classical Guitar (Amalio Burguet 3M)
    Electric Guitar (Fender Squier Stratocaster)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just sub in an 0.018 or 0.017 plain steel for the G. Works for me. Don't forget to adjust the saddles or obtain an intonated bridge. Also the polepieces may need tweaked for even string-to-string response.

You could also try a set of GHS Brite Flats, but I get good reults with D'Addario Chromes as well; 0.011s or 0.012s work fine, subbing in a plain G. Hope this helps.
    Best regards, k

User Info Menu

Depending on the tone you want, you may need to experiment with different diameter strings. As we play higher up the neck, each string effectively gets stiffer between the fret and the bridge (as the ratio of length to diameter decreases). This changes the timbre of the string, losing upper partials as we play higher with the fundamental becoming more pronounced, due to the string being stiffer. Experienced players learn to exploit this for tonal effects. If you want to retain more "sparkle" on the plain G string as you play higher, you may prefer a lighter string. I'd suggest trying a .016, .017 and .018 just to hear the differences. The .016 will probably feel floppy but will have more overtones, and the .018 may sound a little dull at the high end of the frets but that may match the flatwound basses better.

I also think that the use of the plain G sounds more like a classical guitar with three plain trebles and three wound basses, which you may find offers ready adaptation between your two instruments.

You might also like the Thomastik Infeld Bebops roundwounds; they have a finer wrap wire than most roundwounds and I find them easy on my nails. However, I keep my nails quite short as this sounds better to my ears on steel strings- from virtually nothing on the thumb side of each finger to about 2mm on the little finger side. Projection past the fingertip is about .5 mm at most. I find that works on my nylon strings with a bit of a technique shift, but I do not play a classical repertoire at all. On steel strings, long nails are like thin plectrums in producing a brighter, thinner tone which is not what I want. I use a thickish plectrum, too- 1.5 mm is as thin as I go.
    Beauty is as close to terror as we can well endure. -Rainer Maria Rilke

Thanks for the advise!

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
    Classical Guitar (Amalio Burguet 3M)
    Electric Guitar (Fender Squier Stratocaster)

User Info Menu

T-I Bebops are nice.

I suggest plastic Alaska Piks and a heavy celluloid thumb pick though. Steel strings tear up your classical guitar nails eventually leaving you distraught. Alaska Piks are great; when you shape them as you do your nails, they provide a great tone on steel strings. I put a tab of 3M surgical tape on each finger to help keep them on.

Save your nails for classical guitar.