The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 144

User Info Menu

Thanks for kick-starting this entire thread, Lawson. I started a thread today - trying to choose between the Twin and the Deluxe versions. I know either would be good, but the Twin's attenuator clinches it for me.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Thanks for kick-starting this entire thread, Lawson. I started a thread today - trying to choose between the Twin and the Deluxe versions. I know either would be good, but the Twin's attenuator clinches it for me.
    The Deluxe has the attenuator as well. The back-panel "extras" are common to them all. XLR out with 3 models, line out level knob, attenuator. Perfectly chosen additions, IMHO.

User Info Menu

Hmm…

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Hmm…
    You can really make the decision just like you would in "real (tube) life." Go for the tone you want. The 6V6 tone of the Deluxe, or the 6L6 tone of the Twin. The twin is great for clean headroom and moving lots of air. Funny, but even on the lowest 2 levels of the attenuator, I think those two 12" speakers still add a wonderful dimension or depth to the tone. Quiet, but BIG. Kind of like a giant whispering... Love the Twin here. It's becoming my go-to for everything. Great for recording, quiet for practicing, and if I ever play "out" it can handle any size room. What's not to like!

User Info Menu

I've just paid for the Twin!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Wow pleasantly surprised to hear that the TMTR was #2. I need another amp like I need a third nose, but I’m mighty tempted.
    Ummm. A *third* nose? Sorry for the late response by a couple of years...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Ummm. A *third* nose? Sorry for the late response by a couple of years...
    If I don’t need two noses, I definitely don’t need three.

User Info Menu

I’ve just been delivered my new twin tone master: played for only one hour but already very happy with it.
    very natural tone;
    seems the real twin to me (had it years ago).
    fantastic match with my ibanez “johnny smith”…

User Info Menu

I keep reminding myself I already have 6 good tube amps including an early 70s black faced Twin and a Deluxe black face custom build and a reasonably priced good tech.

Otherwise I’d be after one of these.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 73Fender
    I keep reminding myself I already have 6 good tube amps
    You say that like you think it's enough......

Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb-smiley_playing_guitar-gif

User Info Menu

The TM Super Reverb really has my interest. The single best sounding amp I ever played was a Super Reverb, and to get one that's 36 pounds.....

User Info Menu

The Deluxe Reverb is noticeably lighter weight than the Twin (increasingly important as I get older), but the Twin is larger with the two speakers. I was able to heft them both side by side at Guitar Center before making my decision. I bought the black Deluxe Reverb used (but mint with the footswitch) at one of our local Music-Go-Round shops.

I swapped out the speaker for the model that is in the blonde version and then loaded the blonde version firmware from the Fender site. I prefer the sound of the blonde, but prefer the look of the black model since that is what "Deluxe Reverb" has always been to me. Also, getting it used saved me quite a bit even after the upgrade speaker which I got from Sweetwater.

Tony

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    The TM Super Reverb really has my interest. The single best sounding amp I ever played was a Super Reverb, and to get one that's 36 pounds.....
    Seems too good to be true right?

My old Twin helps to heat my family room in the winter. I might miss that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    If I don’t need two noses, I definitely don’t need three.
    I’ll just cross that bridge when I get to it.

User Info Menu

Watch out for the trolls under the bridges.

User Info Menu

I am resurrecting this interesting thread just to point out that at post #65 lawson-stone posted a video comparison between the Tone Master Tweed Reverb and the Princeton Reverb Reissue but I could not find a place where it was revealed which is which, although I also liked the first amp. It would be nice to know, if possible .

User Info Menu

Somebody else talked about having three noses, then:
    Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    I’ll just cross that bridge when I get to it.
    Now where are you going to find glasses to fit a face like that?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dconeill
    Now where are you going to find glasses to fit a face like that?
    True enough. That’s probably…

Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb-92045b95-63ca-45dd-83ed-f83247fe882e-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    True enough. That’s probably…

Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb-92045b95-63ca-45dd-83ed-f83247fe882e-jpeg
    Sometimes one is enough

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_175
    I am resurrecting this interesting thread just to point out that at post #65 lawson-stone posted a video comparison between the Tone Master Tweed Reverb and the Princeton Reverb Reissue but I could not find a place where it was revealed which is which, although I also liked the first amp. It would be nice to know, if possible .
    I am utterly humiliated to say that I don't remember which was which, and cannot find any notes that have that information. I really am sorry about that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I am utterly humiliated to say that I don't remember which was which, and cannot find any notes that have that information. I really am sorry about that.
    It may well be worthy of a revisit. Anything worth doing is worth doing again - Apocalypse Reverb Redux, anyone?

In any case, your videos are always informative and enjoyable! Well done, LS!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    It may well be worthy of a revisit. Anything worth doing is worth doing again - Apocalypse Reverb Redux, anyone?

In any case, your videos are always informative and enjoyable! Well done, LS!
    I might indeed; I haven't played as much in 2022 due to other pressing matters stealing time and effort. I might work something up and do another SBS.

User Info Menu

Will there be a ToneMaster Princeton ?
    anyone know anything ?

User Info Menu

Last night, I played a 5 piece blues gig with another guitarist who brought his new Tone Master Deluxe. It was in a medium sized venue with a pretty high ceiling (the "lounge" at World Cafe Live, for those who know it) and we were mic'ed. But before the sound guy even got out the mics, we were playing with the settings - and it was actually fine on 1 watt! Using a Tele with plain vanilla pickups, it was clean at reasonable volume but started to break up when the guitar volume was cranked. He played the entire gig at 1 watt, and it sounded fantastic!

It's not as sensitive to picking as a good tube amp or a Quilter (he's had several) and when it's dialed to break up, it does so regardless of how hard the guitar is played. Even set for full output power, it doesn't have the clean headroom I'd like for bigger gigs without sound reinforcement. But it's fantastic for the blues - plenty loud and with wonderful tone and flexible settings. He played with no pedals or effects, which is unusual for him. He's been using at least a MojoMojo pedal every time we've played together for the last 2 years or so, even through a CS PRRI. But the TM Deluxe sounded as good to us all as the "real thing" without effects.

If the Twin sounds as good and has the headroom we need for jazz (which I'm told by those who have them is the case), it's a no-brainer! The XLR out also works great. The sound guy ran it straight to the board, and it only needed a touch of boost when the room was full, which (praise the deity of your choice) it was!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Will there be a ToneMaster Princeton ?
    anyone know anything ?
    Pingu, can't resist. Toob 10S and Quilter SuperBlock US is all the Princeton you need, except more where it counts (25W instead of 15W) and less where it counts (2.8 kg vs. 12.7 kg; under 700€ vs 1500€.) Princeton has always been considered superb for recording but a bit underpowered for gigging. The SuperBlock claims 25W tube power, and the 10" Jensen Tornado takes 100W should you ever want to switch to a more powerful amp. The latest Toob 10S delivered was to a pro guitarist who already owns a Princeton.

Disclaimer: I'm the Toob guy. Soon 500 made.