The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

It’s been a long time since I made a post, but I thought you guys might be interested in my latest project...

a buddy of mine met Robert Godin and his Mrs. on vacation in Florida a few years back. They hit it off and stayed in touch. My buddy bought a nylon string with a very slight blemish shortly after.
    Flash forward to a few months ago...I purchased a Kent Armstrong handwound single coil prewired and mounted to a Benedetto finger rest on Reverb (for $130!). I couldn’t pass it up even though I had no guitar to mount it to...I happened to mention I thought maybe a used acoustic 5th Avenue might be an affordable project to use the part...I have weakness for non-cutaways.
    my buddy got in touch with Mr. Godin and they told him although they didn’t make the acoustic version anymore, they had the models they make now at a discount and mentioned a Kingpin that had a slight neck angle issue could be had for $170! So, I did that! Great guitar! I pulled the P-90 installed the Armstrong and the pickguard, changed the knobs, got an ebony bridge to replace the Tusq one (it was WAY too bright...) from Amazon for $10, and got an ebony tailpiece my luthier had laying around from an Eastman for $40...the guitar looks amazing, plays and sounds great too!
    It was a fun project and now I have a decent archtop to take to outdoor gigs and to teach on when I don’t want to take my L-5 Wes...no one knows this is a $350 Guitar...
    tell me what you think!Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin Frankenstein Project-3c146871-711e-4696-9a04-2d9fb4ed5da4-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin Frankenstein Project-8fe42476-5860-4704-919a-cdda27c13502-jpg 
    Last edited by jazzjames; 10-18-2019 at 01:46 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think the mods you did to that guitar Look great!
    It really transformed the whole appearance of the guitar!

Good Job!

User Info Menu

Careful with those outdoor gigs! The 5th Avenue - at least my sample - has a more humidity-sensitive neck than any other guitar I've had. On a gig under a tent on a rainy day, the neck became unplayable about halfway through. Luckily, the band was called Old Dixie Tigers, so I could justify using my plectrum banjo for the rest of the session.

User Info Menu

You sanitized it!J/k, looks great.

User Info Menu

I've got a blonde 5th Ave. and I like your treatment here.

Congratulations!

How did you deal with the puncture wound from the P-90?

Thanks

User Info Menu

I think you've got a very cool guitar. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Needs ebony knobs.
    Or black tele knobs.

User Info Menu

Great job! Looks killer. Man,that makes me miss my Kingpin....I need to get another one.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=rabbit;983941]I've got a blonde 5th Ave. and I like your treatment here.

Congratulations!

How did you deal with the puncture wound from the P-90?

Thanks[/QUOTE

One screw hole and the pickup wire hole are hidden under the pickup/ finger rest. The mount hole closest on the bass side is there...very small and barely noticeable. The hole on the upper bout treble side from the pickguard mount can be seen in the photo. Neither exposed hole is all that noticeable...even in the room.
    I really like the flat, cognac burst finish because it matches the flat ebony of the pickguard and tailpiece. The entire body having a flat finish makes it seem like it was meant to be that way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Needs ebony knobs.
    Or black tele knobs.
    I just used some amber, numberless speed knobs o had laying around...they remind me of an old ES-125. But you might be right...I’ll check it out. Knobs are cheap!

User Info Menu

How do the before and after tones compare (acoustic and electric)?John

User Info Menu

Love projects like this! Well done, it looks great!
    Care to do a sound clip or video? Really curious about how that sounds!