User Info Menu

It seems to me that the "Big 5" in Jazz pickups are the above-mentioned. Yes, I realize these are generalizations, there are others, etc, etc. Just wondering how some of you very experienced guys would describe the general characteristics of each. I understand there are many variables, but again just wondering how some of you would generally describe each.I'll start, but this is like a tea-totaller giving notes at his 1st whiskey tasting! Humbucker- warm, but not as clear as the others listed.P-90- clear and punchy.Charlie Christian- lol, I've never played one or heard in person. My guess from internet clips is it's similar to P-90s.Floating Mini- woody and warm?Dearmond- don't know how to describe, but I like the sound!I will go out on a limb and say just about everyone could do a better job then my descriptions. Have at it!!!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Humbucker - they buck hum

P90 - 5 5/8 pints of urine

CC - Jesus' favorite guitar pickup

Floating mini - what happens when you drop a humbucker in the toilet after you P90

Dearmond - a very dangerous pickup that will sever your upper extremities when used.
    Last edited by arielcee; 10-18-2019 at 03:37 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66 View Post
    It seems to me that the "Big 5" in Jazz pickups are the above-mentioned. Yes, I realize these are generalizations, there are others, etc, etc. Just wondering how some of you very experienced guys would describe the general characteristics of each. I understand there are many variables, but again just wondering how some of you would generally describe each.I'll start, but this is like a tea-totaller giving notes at his 1st whiskey tasting! Humbucker- warm, but not as clear as the others listed.P-90- clear and punchy.Charlie Christian- lol, I've never played one or heard in person. My guess from internet clips is it's similar to P-90s.Floating Mini- woody and warm?Dearmond- don't know how to describe, but I like the sound!I will go out on a limb and say just about everyone could do a better job then my descriptions. Have at it!!!
    I find it hard to generalize because there's so much variation in pickup construction (especially humbuckers), and the actual guitars they're installed in. Very generally, both sizes of HB's have more mids and less treble than all of the SC's, but I wouldn't go farther than that. Many times my ears and eyes disagree on how a guitar sounds.John

User Info Menu

I'm deleting this thread! What a terrible idea haha now if I can only figure out how to delete it From my phone.

User Info Menu

Generalizing I can say that I like floating mini humbuckers best. I have an Eastman with a Kent Armstrong and an Ibanez GB10 and just love the clarity of these pickups – with the volume rolled back slightly they make an archtop sing while maintaining a lot of the acoustic properties. 2nd best to me would be P90s – still clear but with a little dirt around the edges which is nice sometimes. Full size humbuckers do often emphasize midrange. These are not exactly my cup of tea – but to be fair the only guitar I ever had with "high end" humbuckers was a 335 with the "MHS" pickups and while these were bright and clear I never really bonded with the guitar so I sold it to get the GB10 which I love.

User Info Menu

Everyone hears differently, so preferences are irreconcilable and even descriptions are suspect. I have found myself turning away from using side-by-side humbuckers because I hear some phase cancellation that I don't like (on my guitars, through my amps, with my technique- I often do not hear this when other people are playing through humbuckers, so go figure).

I do like concentric (stacked) humbuckers (Dimarzio Area T and Wilde noisefree Tele pickups, the latter making me very happy in my Teles these days) and I really like the floating pseudo-CC on my archtop- it is the closest I have gotten to just having the guitar's inherent sound amplified, and since I really like the sound of that guitar that makes me happy.

There are so many variants in pickups. Holy smokes.
    Beauty is as close to terror as we can well endure. -Rainer Maria Rilke

User Info Menu

So I had a Kent Armstrong 12 pole piece floating pickup on my Elferink Tonemaster archtop that came with it. And probably the gold standard in floating pickups nowadays. Excellent clarity and basically no complaints .

But being a consistent tinkerer, I had Peter Biltoft of Vintage Vibe Pickups make me CC Rider Humbucker floater to the same dimensions as the K.A.
    I have been extremely pleased with it, and won't say it's better. But I have no reason to go back.