The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

Well I finally could not take it any longer and Kirk sold me his beautiful 2005 Super 400CES. It is a Huchinson signed label and at least to me, near mint. I am around guitars all the time in repairing so much I probably not as picky as some. It is a beautiful brown sunburst with very nice flamed maple. It was pretty much what I expected but the neck has a nice bit of chunk too it. I like that I have large hands and although spec is 1 11/16 the neck feels as wide a 1 3/4. It has nice acoustic sound although to fully get this I need to change to round wound strings. It has light gauge flats on it now with an 11 on top maybe even 50. I will go to my standard 12-.52. Right now though it plays wonderful so may leave it for a bit

Ok the test...………..wow this thing plugged in this so sweet and mellow full of magic .I probably will never use the bridge pickup but even that sounds great. I have only played it through my Polytone baby Tarus, but later will plug into the Claris with twin RE speakers. I am anxious to hear that sound but no time right now. In all it is an amazing guitar and Kirk was an amazingly easy forum member to deal with. Again it shows the power of this guitar forum because without it I probably would not have been able to get it worked out easy.

The first for me are: I now own a CES built-in guitar at least of this type. I have only bought acoustics with a floater. Also I have owned a reasonable number of guitars and some of the finest made but never a Super 400 of any type. I have had an L5c and 2 John Smiths but never actually my own Super 400. I have played 100's of them and worked on them in the shop so they have been around.

2005 Gibson Super 400CES-img_1353-jpg2005 Gibson Super 400CES-img_1354-jpg2005 Gibson Super 400CES-img_1356-jpg2005 Gibson Super 400CES-img_1351-jpg2005 Gibson Super 400CES-img_1352-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Congrats Mark!

She is a beauty! May she inspire your playing for many years to come.

User Info Menu

Beautiful, and in good hands.

User Info Menu

These big boxes have their own special magic .... make some beautiful noise with yours !

User Info Menu

Just. Magnificent. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

My favorite model Gibson...
    Love mine, enjoy that one!

User Info Menu

There's no more going up from a Super 400!
    Congratulations!

User Info Menu

What a guitar!
    One of these days I hope to join the Super 400 club. They're my favourite Gibson.

User Info Menu

very HAPPY for you Mark. Top of the food chain baby. Saweeeet !!!!

User Info Menu

If I were a half-foot taller, that's what I'd play.

Enjoy!

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Congrats Mark - a real beauty. Do enjoy.

User Info Menu

Beautiful instrument !! Can you record something I would love to hear it ? My 51' Super 300 is wondering how things evolved))

Will

User Info Menu

Super Happy 400 New Guitar Day!

User Info Menu

Top shelf, all the way

User Info Menu

A gorgeous Sunburst it is too! Congratulations!

So today I put my micrometer on the strings and they go .10 to .48 which is way too light for me. The guitar actually responded fine but I just keep pulling strings out of tune as not use to the light touch. So I put on my usual set of .12-.52 rounds and played it through the Claris Amp. I could not put the guitar down it just sounds so nice. I decide to take some measurements and the neck width at the nut 1 23/24 we can say 1 11/16 as I mentioned the neck felt wider. Intonation is spot on and probably will keep the metal tunomatic on and make an ebony saddle. My guess it will not make a big difference since guitar is a CES. The quality control is definitely top notch the fret work is beautiful and Gibson did it great no question.

Now the other 18 inch guitars have the 2 real Dangelico's, Hollenbeck, and my Camp and Elferink. This Gibson feels the largest playing and I think that is because of the thickness of the guitar. My 49 New Yorker actually is 18 1/4 at the lower bout and 14 at the upper but not as wide a bit less. Where my arm rest over the guitar is feels same but I do notice the thicker body. Acoustically it is fine however nothing like the others since no built in pickup. But the magic is that electrically the guitar response different and mellower not the highs. I usually never play much with an amp practicing but now I can't wait to turn on the amp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    So today I put my micrometer on the strings and they go .10 to .48 which is way too light for me. The guitar actually responded fine but I just keep pulling strings out of tune as not use to the light touch. So I put on my usual set of .12-.52 rounds and played it through the Claris Amp. I could not put the guitar down it just sounds so nice. I decide to take some measurements and the neck width at the nut 1 23/24 we can say 1 11/16 as I mentioned the neck felt wider. Intonation is spot on and probably will keep the metal tunomatic on and make an ebony saddle. My guess it will not make a big difference since guitar is a CES. The quality control is definitely top notch the fret work is beautiful and Gibson did it great no question.

Now the other 18 inch guitars have the 2 real Dangelico's, Hollenbeck, and my Camp and Elferink. This Gibson feels the largest playing and I think that is because of the thickness of the guitar. My 49 New Yorker actually is 18 1/4 at the lower bout and 14 at the upper but not as wide a bit less. Where my arm rest over the guitar is feels same but I do notice the thicker body. Acoustically it is fine however nothing like the others since no built in pickup. But the magic is that electrically the guitar response different and mellower not the highs. I usually never play much with an amp practicing but now I can't wait to turn on the amp.
    Welcome to the magic of a Gibson CES. These guitars are in a class by themselves, very different from the carved archtops without a built in PUP. To me, the one pickup variants are more CES than floater in both sound and response, but they are a bit brighter.

I prefer the tone of the CES archtops with a wooden saddle. Fewer overtones and a touch more wood in the mix.

User Info Menu

DM and SS,
    Welcome to the CES club!
    Single pickups are cool as are floaters, but for a great thick electric sound nothing beats twin routed pickups (imo of course)

User Info Menu

Baby’s got back...2005 Gibson Super 400CES

Congratulations

She's so lovely Mark I'm typeless. Congrats, HNGD and play her in good health!

User Info Menu

Congrats - the apex predator of tone right there, what a beauty. I'd love to play one some day, but an injury may mean a CT is more likely my path. Enjoy.

User Info Menu

Looks very good.

I decided to carve a new ebony saddle to see if the tone changed and maybe to me looks a bit better. Well on both accounts it is a positive. The tone with the ebony saddle seem to smooth out an be a bit more fundamental in nature, added slight warmth to the sound. I also much prefer the looks of the ebony saddle. So I but the original in the case pocket to convert back if needed. I was also wondering about the intonation and I did my usual gradual compensation and the intonation is as good as the tunomatic no difference. What do you think?
    2005 Gibson Super 400CES-img_1357-jpg2005 Gibson Super 400CES-img_1358-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    ....What do you think?
    2005 Gibson Super 400CES-img_1357-jpg2005 Gibson Super 400CES-img_1358-jpg
    I prefer the ebony. When I got my L5P from Vinny, I asked Matt Cushman to make one for me. It's perfect Mark!
    Congratulations!

User Info Menu

Deacon Mark,
    I don’t what it is but I have a thing for Vintage sunbursts. Your guitar is just about as perfect as a guitar can get. I don’t have a preference on the bridge material. For the life of me, I could never hear the difference. My God that’s a beauty. And you have an incredible collection. Thanks for sharing.
    Joe D