The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

His Royal Woodiness-es-125-es-300-jpg

Man, there is something magical about P90 pups on old laminate woods. This afternoon I played 2 choruses on Cherokee on His Royal Woodiness (my 1947 ES 300) through a simple and inexpensive tube pre amp but that was quite enough to get that vintage sound. No EQ. Only a little reverb.

I added a pic of my 2 P90 guitars. Both great instruments. The 125 is a 1964.

DB

Last edited by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog; 10-16-2019 at 02:25 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wonderful playing. That tempo works beautifully.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Wonderful playing. That tempo works beautifully.
    When he said, "His Royal Woodiness" your avatar came to mind . . .

User Info Menu

"Royal Woodiness" made my admittedly more depraved mind wander in other directions...

User Info Menu

Soooo nice!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    "Royal Woodiness" made my admittedly more depraved mind wander in other directions...
    Explain Lawson. Don't hold back!

DB

User Info Menu

I have always loved the ES300. They are great guitars. Yours sounds super.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    I have always loved the ES300. They are great guitars. Yours sounds super.
    Thanks Green. I have played two other ES 300s and yes, they all sounded great.

DB

User Info Menu

P90 + plywood + flatwound strings

My favorite equation.

User Info Menu

Nice playing! And not a bad sound from a 72-year-old instrument...

Is that P90 original to the ES-300? I think the P90 came out in 1946.

User Info Menu

I love that sound! And your playing, DB, is so good.

User Info Menu

Wow, DB.....thats some of the best tone and bebop phrasing I've heard around these parts. Just awesome

User Info Menu

I enjoyed the playing very much !

And I really liked what seemed to be that look in his eye as he started to play, that rightly said: " Not to worry - - I got this ! " And then proceeds to show that he does indeed have it.

Nice playing DB.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Is that P90 original to the ES-300? I think the P90 came out in 1946.
    Yes, it's the original P90.

DB

User Info Menu

Magical, indeed. Love your videos, DB. And that ES-300...His Royal Woodiness

User Info Menu

Great playing, bringing to my mind a cross between George Benson and Eddie Diehl - not bad at all! :-)

User Info Menu

I would like to thank everybody here who took the time to reply or like my post. It is much appreciated. Rob, Jared, Dennis, Mark, Callous, Jeff, Michael, Greentone, Lawson, Citizen, Sam, Woody and all the likers ... thanks.

DB

User Info Menu

DB you are one of the reasons I keep coming back to the forum. Seeing another academic professional who loves jazz/bop guitar and can play (unlike another I know) is very encouraging to me. I always enjoy hearing you play and hearing your talk about the whole world of jazz guitar.

User Info Menu

Tasteful playing and tone DB, you sold me on the Tal Farlow model many years ago and more recently on the 125...
    Your ES 300 sounds really gorgeous as would any decent guitar in your hands.
    Please keep posting, its always great to see and hear you

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinlander
    Tasteful playing and tone DB, you sold me on the Tal Farlow model many years ago and more recently on the 125...
    Your ES 300 sounds really gorgeous as would any decent guitar in your hands.
    Please keep posting, its always great to see and hear you
    Thanks. I think I sold you well then. The TF is the best buy for contemporary Gibson archtops and the 125 is the best buy for vintage ones. With "best" I mean bang for bucks.

DB

Hi DB, I think my '49 ES-5N and His Royal Woodiness should meet one time! After all, they are both blonde, only 2 years apart and both in the Netherlands! And apart from that, I get the feeling that you like 17" archtops with P-90's, haha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 58dutchie
    Hi DB, I think my '49 ES-5N and His Royal Woodiness should meet one time! After all, they are both blonde, only 2 years apart and both in the Netherlands! And apart from that, I get the feeling that you like 17" archtops with P-90's, haha!
    I do yes. Check my other reply in the 350 thread.

DB

User Info Menu

In a word -- Wow! Hat's off to you DB