The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

("G" for "Gear") This is soooo cool. Been running my pedal board and Quilter off this rechargeable power pack for two nights now at home, about 6-7 hrs total, and it's only down from the full 5 bars to flashing 4.

Have not yet tried it with my Pearce G2r, Bud, or Alto110, or a tube amp, etc. They probably draw more than the Quilter. But so far I am very excited about this. Been trying to find a decent battery powered amp with no luck. Mostly for symphony pops things, where I don't want to have to find electric on the stage. With this thing, it's looking like I can use my existing amps and setups. Small and lightweight, can carry it in a gig bag.

Portable Power Pack-power2-jpg
    Portable Power Pack-power1-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

LoudBox Mini charge does it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BBGuitar
    LoudBox Mini charge does it for me.
    Good for you if that's all you need.

Not nearly the power or tonal flexibility.

User Info Menu

Quick Question: So it has one AC input. Do you plug a surge protector/multiple AC prong, to which you can plug both amp and pedals to the surge protector? How long can you perform with this kind of standard setup? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    Quick Question: So it has one AC input. Do you plug a surge protector/multiple AC prong, to which you can plug both amp and pedals to the surge protector? How long can you perform with this kind of standard setup? Thanks!
    Yes, the amp and pedalboard are plugged into a small extension reel (like below) out of view behind the amp; then the reel is plugged into the powerpack. As I said, it's been going for around 7 hrs this way on one charge, and only down from 5 bars to a flashing 4. Just for fun I'm going to use it at my big band rehearsal tonight. The bass and kb players and I are usually sparring about who plugs in where, so this should be fun.
    Portable Power Pack-extension-reel-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    AND, you bring up a good point. Since the amp and pedalboard are plugged into a dedicated battery powerpack, maybe I don't need the surge extension. Maybe this would do. Sure would make the whole rig more portable.

https://www.amazon.com/Cablelera-Pow.../dp/B00FRODUR4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Good for you if that's all you need.

Not nearly the power or tonal flexibility.
    That is very true.

With a clip on condenser microphone it is all I need.

Here is an example of the sound I'm after. Not prominent but there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w_TCx2KNQI

User Info Menu

Or just go to your local Ace Hardware, or any other place that sells this sort of thing, and buy this: Portable Power Pack-plug-jpeg
    Instant gratification, no need to wait for delivery, and you don't support Bezos.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Or just go to your local Ace Hardware, or any other place that sells this sort of thing, and buy this: Portable Power Pack-plug-jpeg
    Instant gratification, no need to wait for delivery, and you don't support Bezos.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    ("G" for "Gear") This is soooo cool. Been running my pedal board and Quilter off this rechargeable power pack for two nights now at home, about 6-7 hrs total, and it's only down from the full 5 bars to flashing 4.
    Great news indeed! Can you post a link to the product?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    Great news indeed! Can you post a link to the product?
    Thanks!
    Ah, forgot that in my op. Beaudens B-1502. Around $140 most places, but somewhere out there is a coupon discounted to $115, but now I can't find it.

beaudens B-1502 - Google Search
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 10-16-2019 at 10:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Surprised more people don't use these. I have a 288W/hr model that will power my 350Watt Acus speaker for over 8 hours. Figure at 90% or so efficiency for a Class D, you're only using 1/10 the rated watts and that's only when you're driving it (minus steady state current for base circuits). Don't see much point in getting one of the new breed of portable amps with low power and limited run times when I can get a 5 pound lithium inverter that's good for all sorts of things (e.g. power outages, camping, back yard stuff, et al) and will easily do any gig I'll encounter. I often use mine just to avoid the hassle of running extension cords.

In addition to choosing how much power you want versus what you want to spend, you really need to get one that offers a pure sine wave output on AC. Electronics don't like it so much if you do otherwise.

Got one of these. Run about $225 or so on sale. https://www.amazon.com/mono-M80-CLUB...ustomerReviews

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410

In addition to choosing how much power you want versus what you want to spend, you really need to get one that offers a pure sine wave output on AC. Electronics don't like it so much if you do otherwise.

Got one of these. Run about $225 or so on sale. https://www.amazon.com/mono-M80-CLUB...ustomerReviews
    Did you mean to link to the Mono gig bag?

User Info Menu

Great idea, that's thinking out of the box!!!

A battery boost / jump starter will do also. I use my Schumacher if I need to demo an amp or git at a remote location. Side benefits are it will start the car, pump up the tires, charge your phone and be a night light on a campsite.

Portable Power Pack-schumacher_starter_sj1332-jpg

I did read about this somewhere, but there are arguments on both sides. What is the effect, if any, of a non-pure sine sig? Bad sound? Damage?

User Info Menu

Pure sine wave or not should not be an issue.

Old style power supplies with lots of iron in the power transformer should have no problem. Including old tube equipment.

Switching power supplies convert line AC to DC then back to AC at a high frequency then back to DC. This makes it so less Iron is needed in the power supply. Again not a problem.

Cheap low power amplifiers with no power transformer may have a issue but in my opinion a low risk.

On the other hand a generator with bad brushes or a faulty regulator circuit will take out a solid state/digital amp in short order. I have first hand experience with that.

In my opinion I would use any battery power supply over a generator. That is why I have both the LoudBox Mini and the Mini charge.
    Last edited by BBGuitar; 02-20-2020 at 09:46 PM.

User Info Menu

But try it on a gig with a backup solution, because the power consumption will be higher with higher volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    But try it on a gig with a backup solution, because the power consumption will be higher with higher volume.
    It got through a 2-hr loud, modern big-band rehearsal at full vol, with not even a dent in the bars.

User Info Menu

- Of course I intended to link the Mono Gig Bag instead of this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

- Sine wave versus modified sine inverter: Because there are lots of reports online that the latter can cause noise or even damage to more sensitive electronics. And as much as I would like to try it with all available amplifiers so I could report back, I'm busy trying to figure out how the Mono Gig Bag works and why it's so expensive.

- If I understand it correctly, with a Class D amp you are running 1/10 of rated power when you are at full volume and driving it. Guessing when you are not, you draw less power but I don't know how it scales. And when you're not playing it's only what the quiescent state of the amp draws (not much).

Of course this is all for a Class D amp. Plug in your tube amp and you'll draw it down at whatever the amp says it's going to pull on the back. A Fender Deluxe may be a 22W amp, but it's rated for 100W AC. You could run it a couple of hours on a 200W/hr battery.

- Of course I intended to link the Mono Gig Bag instead of this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And as much as I would like to try it with all available amplifiers so I could report back, I'm busy trying to figure out how the Mono Gig Bag works and why it's so expensive.
    The ongoing mystery. I think they are appealing to some players' sense of panache. Their board bag MUST match their guitar bag.

User Info Menu

Wow, I didn't know you could do that. Geez, my Quilter MP200 with my pedal board instead of a Roland Cube.

WoodySound, what is the name and model of the power supply?

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Wow, I didn't know you could do that. Geez, my Quilter MP200 with my pedal board instead of a Roland Cube.

WoodySound, what is the name and model of the power supply?
    see #11

User Info Menu

WoodySound, how about an update on how you like it after having it for several months?

User Info Menu

I have one of those portable Power supplies (Suaoki S601). I have used it on about half a dozen gigs where a battery amp is called for. I so like the idea of using an amp that I like (I never found any of the battery amps that I owned much to my liking) that I sold my last battery amp (a Line 6) and now only use the portable power supply in that application. The only downsides are A: I have to carry two things, my amp and the power supply rather than just a battery amp and B: There is some noise due to no ground (kind of a single coil; buzz) when my hand is off the strings. Overall, it is a pretty good solution.

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    WoodySound, how about an update on how you like it after having it for several months?
    Love it. Did a 3-hr gig the other night with barely a dent in the battery indicator bars. I was using a Quilter Aviator, and no pedals. I didn't know what the power/outlet situation would be, so I brought it. I have a 4 night musical coming up, will try it out (with extension box always in the car for backup just in case). I usually carry something like these for power, so in my case when I use the battery pack, I don't carry in the extension box, so it's no more to carry than normal. In fact, the battery pack fits in my gear bag better than the extension box.

Portable Power Pack-extension-reel-jpgPortable Power Pack-extension-jpg