The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

I'm about to get a 165 of 2nd generation that has been "unelectrified", no more pickguard, pup, etc... I'm looking for some advice about an easy floating solution.I was thinking McCarty cause I've tested one on a L7 and it pleased my ears.Btw, the laminate 165 sounds "very heavy fully woody" and I don't think it'd be useless to amp this.Thank you for your suggestions.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I like the DeArmond Rhythm Chief pickups. They can be mounted with a short rod or with just something like Blu-Tack. I put a set of Schatten thumbwheels in the treble F hole on my archtop, but it also has an endpin jack. If you don't have a jack installed, you probably need a pickguard to mount that and the controls.

User Info Menu

Yes it might work, but I think they were designed for 17" guitars, so the fit might be awkward. And if you want an original, they are quite expensive.

Thank you all, the guitar has the jack plug and cable in the case, the DeArmond idea seems to be more easy and less expensive but I don't really know how to install some tone and vol thumwheels in the F-hole.My first choice of a Mccarty-like system is because of its semi-plug and play-all inclusive format. All is already installed on the guard.Thanks !
    Last edited by Tatayoyo; 10-16-2019 at 01:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tatayoyo
    Thank you all, the guitar has the jack plus and cable in the case, the DeArmond idea seems to be more easy and less expensive but I don't really know how to install some tone and vol thumwheels in the F-hole.My first choice of a Mccarty-like system is because of its semi-plug and play-all inclusive format. All is already installed on the guard.Thanks !
    There are a lot of options available for you. Do a little research/digging. Thumbwheel pots on a guard, mini-pots on a guard, etc. PIckups suspended by a neck-side rod, or a neck bracket, or from the guard.

User Info Menu

McCarty pickguard pickup on a Gibson 165 ?-98d3e2c3-9658-4053-a675-90a4ff3a8003-png

I’m not sure if this pickguard came from the factory but there are many examples of 50s L4Cs (16”) with McCarty pickups.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    McCarty pickguard pickup on a Gibson 165 ?-98d3e2c3-9658-4053-a675-90a4ff3a8003-png

I’m not sure if this pickguard came from the factory but there are many examples of 50s L4Cs (16”) with McCarty pickups.
    That's awesome. But notice how it doesn't quite fit in at the cutaway, and the widest part is very close to the rim. Not a real problem, but it might bother some.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    That's awesome. But notice how it doesn't quite fit in at the cutaway, and the widest part is very close to the rim. Not a real problem, but it might bother some.
    You have a good eye. Makes me think people must have taken these off of L7Cs back in the day to electrify their L4Cs.

Exactly what I'm looking for !The oversized guard won't bother me, after the 15th fret it's sort of terra incognita for me (I used to play on uncut Es-125 and 12 fret Martin guitars). I'm searching for a reissue, the original model seems to be quite expensive and rare.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tatayoyo
    Exactly what I'm looking for !The oversized guard won't bother me, after the 15th fret it's sort of terra incognita for me (I used to play on uncut Es-125 and 12 fret Martin guitars). I'm searching for a reissue, the original model seems to be quite expensive and rare.
    Contact Lollar.

Done !Thank you !Just had the very fast and complete answer of Mr Bob Reed. Got the size and install guide, price is $450 for the single pup version.

User Info Menu

Installing the Schatten controls in the f hole is just a matter of using double-sided mounting tape and taping it to the underside of the top, with the controls barely peeking into the f hole. But that seems to be moot, since you've gone with another pickup. That one should work fine, and if it's what you prefer, play it in good health.

I haven't already took my decision, must see if the blueprint of the lollar Mccarty matches the guitar and if the price with shipment is affordable.A DeArmond was my second choice but I didn't know how the controls could be fixed to the inner table. I'm not bad with double-side tape, so I got to think of it.Thanks again !

User Info Menu

You can get a Dearmond "monkey on a stick" that has a control box that clips onto the strings between bridge and tailpiece.
    Last edited by wintermoon; 10-16-2019 at 05:07 PM.

User Info Menu

The Lollar looks like this. I believe he can make the pickguard just about any shape so it can fit your guitar

I made my own, it was not too hard if you know how to wind pickups and make pickguards, or at least it was easier than making an entire guitar.
    Attached Images Attached Images McCarty pickguard pickup on a Gibson 165 ?-lollar-mccarty-jpg McCarty pickguard pickup on a Gibson 165 ?-finished_1-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound

I am one of those who found it ( The McCarty P/U ) bothersome, even on a 17 in. L-7. It just sat too high, and yes I had an original, and came with my '52 L-7. It sounded surprisingly good, but not good enough for me to leave it attached.

But that's just me. Maybe the Lollars have a bit lower profile.
    Last edited by Dennis D; 10-19-2019 at 04:27 PM.