The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

I've been shamed into trying 80/20 PB strings on my 2 acoustic only L-7's. Elixir Nanowebs look like one good suggestion and the other set suggested is D'Add's 80/20 bronze EJ11's. (( these don't look coated, so could they be too much ( squeaky ) for me to get used to ?? )).

And are there any others to consider ?

I have used flats on them for years......I know, heresy, right ?

Thanks !!
    Last edited by Dennis D; 10-15-2019 at 11:03 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Martin is doing a coated 80/20. I don't dig the coated ones myself, but I dig their regular ones.

User Info Menu

I have Elixir nanowebs on an carved top acoustic archtop currently, they feel nice to play on, they is nowhere near as much finger squeak, but I feel like they lack some of the projection of the uncoated strings. I may be wrong, but the wound strings don't seem to have as much punch.

Again,I may be imagining all of this!

User Info Menu

To me, Elixir Nanowebs on my acoustic guitar sound like 4 month old strings out of the box and then they stay that way for 6 months or more till you change them.
    Could be OK on a jazz guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by campusfive
    Martin is doing a coated 80/20. I don't dig the coated ones myself, but I dig their regular ones.

Especially appreciate your reply Jonathan. I'm guessing you'll gig amplified, but what do you use completely unplugged and unmic'ed ?

Maybe flats are quiet and all the rest aren't.......

Thanks.

User Info Menu

JP for sound, Elixir for durability.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    JP for sound, Elixir for durability.
    Sorry, rather than me guessing wrong, what is ' JP ' ?

Thx

User Info Menu

john pierce strings?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer
    john pierce strings?

That was my guess . I see where they offer a nickel round wound.......( ? ).....

User Info Menu

Sorry, John Pearse. They have 80/20 strings.

User Info Menu

D'addario EXP's are coated, but not so much as Elixir's. They have been my favorite acoustic string for a few years, but now I recently discovered Cleartones and I think I like them even better.