The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

So I finally got to try a The Loar (damn you, brand with an article!), specifically an LH-350 (carved top, laminated back and sides). I've read many people describe The Loars as cannons, but I'm not sure how to calibrate that. This guitar did not strike me as very loud (though it was strung with flats, so that may skew things). The acoustic tone was also kind of so-so -- like I if I had to make do with it as an acoustic instrument in a pinch I could, but would not really want it as a main acoustic. From people who have played both, Is the LH-650 significantly louder (and better sounding)?

John

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    So I finally got to try a The Loar (damn you, brand with an article!), specifically an LH-350 (carved top, laminated back and sides). I've read many people describe The Loars as cannons, but I'm not sure how to calibrate that. This guitar did not strike me as very loud (though it was strung with flats, so that may skew things). The acoustic tone was also kind of so-so -- like I if I had to make do with it as an acoustic instrument in a pinch I could, but would not really want it as a main acoustic. From people who have played both, Is the LH-650 significantly louder (and better sounding)?

John
    I haven’t tried a 350, but my impression is that the 300 and 309 were a bit quieter than the 600, but not much. Hard to say for sure.

They insist on stringing these things with flats in the shop. You want acoustic strings obv.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I haven’t tried a 350, but my impression is that the 300 and 309 were a bit quieter than the 600, but not much. Hard to say for sure.

They insist on stringing these things with flats in the shop. You want acoustic strings obv.
    This wasn't a shop. I've never seen any The Loars in a shop. It was somebody selling one through Craigslist. Oh and what's a the Loar player's favorite car? A TheLoarian. And his favorite movie? Back to the Future, of course ... Thanks everybody, try the veal, and don't forget to tip your waiter ...

John
    Last edited by John A.; 10-15-2019 at 06:18 PM.

User Info Menu

As someone who played both, the 300 series Loars suck. Its night and day between the 300 to 600 series.

User Info Menu

I thought my 650 was kind of a dog, even after a proper setup. I liked the idea of the guitar better than the guitar itself. While the basic sound was nice, and the acoustic volume was fine, it had all sorts of weird dissonant resonances that I found distracting.

User Info Menu

Been hoping a 600 or 700 pops up on Craigslist near me...I feel like that's the only way I will ever get to even test drive one... I've never seen a Loar (any model) in any local to me store....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    As someone who played both, the 300 series Loars suck. Its night and day between the 300 to 600 series.
    As an electric guitar this one was fine, but it didn't it have much going for it as an acoustic. Price was right (somewhat below what i've seen on reverb), but not the guitar for me. But it was worth an hour of my time for the sake of research.John

User Info Menu

FWIW I had a 309 and I really liked the sound. I just couldn’t handle the neck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I wish they'd make a "609". YOU are one of the reasons I've never dared order a 309, lol. Yes yes I know... Godin. I've played one. Eh. I love the LOOK of the Loar (call me superficial). I'll never own a proper ES-125, and the Loar looks the part. I'd even be willing to shave the neck down if I liked the guitar well enough. It would only be for personal use anyway- I don't play the styles professionally that I would be buying it for. I'd lust like a decent 125 "copy" to mess around on while I move forward learning more jazz/swing stuff.

Playing CC licks on a tele or even a Grestch just ain't the same

User Info Menu

Guitar Center sells them. They may or may not be in stock at any local store, but you can have them shipped there. There are some 700 models available used.

User Info Menu

FTR I’ve seen great discrepancy between 309s. I think the first couple of years had a lot of issues. Glue everywhere, poor finish etc. Mine was flawless.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Guitar Center sells them. They may or may not be in stock at any local store, but you can have them shipped there. There are some 700 models available used.
    Don't you have to commit to buying before they will get one? Or am I wrong?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    The whole point of this thread is that these guitars are not in stores and are very difficult to find "in the wild". I finally did find one, which gives me the information that I don't want to buy this specific guitar, or buy this model through some other path, and am trying to calibrate that experience against others'. I could see buying a specific instrument I've never tried, as long as I've tried the model, but I don't see myself special ordering a model completely blind.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blille
    FTR I’ve seen great discrepancy between 309s. I think the first couple of years had a lot of issues. Glue everywhere, poor finish etc. Mine was flawless.
    Well that's good to hear, because I will likely never get to play one before buying one. So as long as I buy new, from a place with a good return policy (MF, Sweetwater, etc), at least I'll be covered if it's a "bad one" (or if I just don't like it)...

User Info Menu

You can order anything from GC for store pickup, go in to the store, and if you don't like it, get a full refund. Either on the spot before you leave, or take the merchandise with you and return it later after you try it out, same full refund, no questions asked. This policy may have something to do with GC's lack of profitability, but it has long been company policy. There is really no risk involved.

User Info Menu

Yes, the LH650 is superior to a LH350. You can't beat a good LH650. But you've got to set up the guitar right, with a proper bridge and pickup to maximize its possibilities. This from someone whose owned 4 of them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.

John
    My experience with acoustic archtops is that they are difficult for the player to appreciate because they project like crazy, with the sound only really developing ten or fifteen feet from the front of the instrument. That's why I always cajole any of my visiting guitarist friends into playing one or more of my archtops, simply because I want to hear what they sound like.