Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

I thought I'd revisit you all since you were so helpful to me in the past. I decided to learn to play guitar at 62 years old . Having been around guitars all my life, I know to buy a decent quality guitar to start with. Cheap ones can lend to added frustration.

Anyway, I bought this LP studio new and its a 2019. Due to the restructuring at Gibson and conflicting management ideas they wound up making two different Studios for 2019, one with neck binding at the beginning of the year and then replaced it with one without binding. I wanted one with binding and the price was considerably less than the new version. Probably because the new CEO just wants them off the shelf. These models are getting scarce and picked over, so not many to chose from.

I like the one I wound up with after returning the first one for bad nicks in the neck...I'd like to keep it, but its still within the return window if I decide its unacceptable. It does have a cosmetic issue. Someone got a little to happy with the paint sprayer. The serial number is readable...but barely. The date of manufacture and USA stamp is not readable at all. I know this model isn't an heirloom instrument, but it is new and an obvious flaw. Personally, it doesn't bother me much, but what about resale? and on principle alone, Gibson should know better.

Your opinions would be helpful, would you keep it? I got it for $1069...which is a bit of a bargain. The new ones don't come with a hard case either and this one does.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images Is this acceptable?-59752e85-a90d-4880-a804-c0e47b5e6012-jpg Is this acceptable?-cb4f0e55-9800-41c4-9f09-88c8f6d0b560-1-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Winfield,
    If you're able to exchange it with another one you also like, and that does not have any cosmetic or structural issues, then go for it! I wouldn't worry so much about resale on this type of instrument -- as you said, it's not an L-5 or something, so if you decide to sell it later on, you'll take a hit, regardless. Your comment on "Gibson should know better" is a reflection of the up/down path the company has been on for a while; yeah, I guess they should know better, but apparently they don't care (or something!).

Hope you find one that works for you, and enjoy learning/playing guitar!

Marc

User Info Menu

New instruments should be FLAWLESS unless labeled "second" or "refurbished" no exceptions. My Eastmans were flawless, my Gibson was not.

User Info Menu

If you like the guitar I would definitely not return it for that. Not that's ok but I've seen that often. That said, that's me. If it bothers you of course you can.

I got an ES-330 this year that I loved. The back was a bit scratched, not bad, it had just been clearly demoed before. I didn't return it but complained and asked for a discount and got a 15% off (then I removed the scratch at home). You can try to do the same. Say you like the guitar etc but you feel like it's a flaw and think you won't have resale value etc

User Info Menu

And resale for the LP Studios is about $650-750 locally, so even without the finish issue there's a loss there. If I liked how the guitar played and sounded, I'd keep it. That's more important to me than cosmetics.
    Beauty is as close to terror as we can well endure. -Rainer Maria Rilke

User Info Menu

If it doesn't affect the playability I'd keep a very good sounding guitar.The risk is getting a flawless bad sounding guitar.

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone. I absolutely agree that a new guitar should be flawless, it’s disappointing to for such an iconic name. If it were a new car with an imperfection that glaring, nobody would accept it. But, they got me over a barrel. I love it otherwise and this version being scarce I’m afraid what’s left over may have worse flaws than this...like the first one I purchased. It was a bargain to begin with and any other discount probably won’t be available. If it were a Standard or a Custom, there’s no way I’d keep it. Also, the P/UPS are different in the new version and I like these. Me being older, it’s likely to be my only guitar, besides my acoustic. And I can live with it. It’s a dream to practice on. I bought a THR10C to go along with it. Love that little guy too. Thanks again.

User Info Menu

It's not unusual to find a Gibson with a serial no. which is hard to read because of the paint.

If you got a certificate of authenticity or anything which has the serial number printed on i would say it's definately no problem at all.

If you don't have that and still like the guitar i'd suggest to keep it unless you find one which you like as much as this. Personally i wouldn't call a serial no. which is hard to read a flaw.
    _________
    JazzNote

User Info Menu

You got more nitrocellulose paint for your money. I call that a bargain. Gibson left the serial number off the back of the headstock of my 2010 L-4CES. At first I got angry-those cheap bastards-but then I figured out I got more wood for my money and a man could always use more wood, aight? Aight? More woody is more goody, aight? Aight? The nitrocellulose will shrink and settle into the stampings over time. The serial number will become clearer. If it plays well and sounds great, keep it. The flip side of your issue is not enough nitro in the stampings. That leads to missing paint and exposed wood. The plonker who uses that to bargain you down is a plonker you don't want to deal with. I am a willing partner in an abusive relationship: it is a Gibson. It won't be a Gibson without some niggling flaws. Accept them. Laugh at them. Enjoy your Gibson or pay thrice as much and get a Collings.

User Info Menu

Yes it came with all the paperwork. My main concern was if it was a total reject in the eyes of the majority of guitarists. It seems it not up to standards, but not a lemon or worthless because of it. I’m going to keep it..flaws and all. It’s one of the few colors that appeals to me without a binding because it’s different from the colors most associated with LPs.

User Info Menu

“The plonker who uses that to bargain you down is a plonker you don't want to deal with.”

Words to to live by..lol

User Info Menu

A plonker who judges you by the guitar you have is a plonker you don't want to deal with. As long as you like the guitar, that's all that counts.

User Info Menu

Not many musicians base the decision to keep on guitar on a ding or two. Usually tone and playability would be major concerns. How does that play? How does it sound?

For example scroll up to 5:40 on this video...

And here, right off the bat Robben tells what he likes in the Epiphone...

User Info Menu

The lacquer filling in the s/n stamping isn't unusual, it's just even less readable with black lacquer. With clear or tinted lacquer it would be more legible as the stamped characters appear darker, with light colors you may get a little shadow. The s/n should be on the setup/warranty card or Pre-Pack checklist (whatever they're calling it this year). If the s/n matches the card you're good to go.

User Info Menu

I've seen good pics of the back of the headstock for the same guitar new on Reverb.com, and some were almost as bad as the OP's, but cost a few hundred more.

User Info Menu

Thanks gumbo, I checked it out and you are correct. I don’t feel so bad now as they all seem to have shoddy paint jobs. You probably have to pony up if you don’t want one f’d up. Clever marketing.

User Info Menu

Accepting inferior workmanship (fit and finish) will only lead to a company continuing to put out sloppy work.

Gibson should take lessons from Eastman.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BBGuitar View Post
    Accepting inferior workmanship (fit and finish) will only lead to a company continuing to put out sloppy work.

Gibson should take lessons from Eastman.

I don’t disagree, but it’s a guitar I’ve always admired and I’m not willing to spend more and there’s only one Gibson LP in my eyes.