Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

My medical issues/medicines leave me with bouts of insomnia (it’s 5:45 am and I haven’t slept yet). The headphone out jack on my Quilter was as important to me as any of its other features and while my Sony music headphones sound OK, I’m wondering if I should try some studio monitor headphones. I don’t buy beats or anything else that horribly colors the music, but at a minimum I need a longer wire (it uses 3.5mm on each end, and automatically cancels Bluetooth and noise canceling when plugged in) and am thinking avoiding a 1/4” adapter would probably improve the sound as well. But I might also be horribly wrong, so please enlighten me and feel free to share any product recommendations. I’d like a 6’ cord if possible. Edited to add that this is my current model: WH-CH700N Specifications | Headband | Sony US
    Redeemed, Husband, Father, Veteran. Thankful for all four!

I play a customized Godin 5th Avenue, Córdoba GK Studio, and a Hamer Korina. I also play a Kala uBass on occasion

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Personally I play guitar only in headphones and I use monitor type ones. Advantage of them is that they are built to have flat frequency characteristics, so they don't modify your tone adding too much bass or treble. My model is AKG K72 and I am really happy with them. I think higher model from this line can be only better. There is one important topic when playing in headphones. Does your amp have headphone out with cabinet emulation? Without it sound can get very unpleasant and unnatural.

Wys?ane z mojego ANE-LX1 przy u?yciu Tapatalka

User Info Menu

I bought a pair of ATH-M50X headphones for myself and my wife (piano player) and I don’t regret spending the money. Exceptional sound and comfort.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slusar View Post
    There is one important topic when playing in headphones. Does your amp have headphone out with cabinet emulation? Without it sound can get very unpleasant and unnatural.

Yes, I have a Quilter Interblock 45 and I love this thing. I bought a Bugera V5 first, but it did not a good clean tone for me and it had horrible tube rattle. This Quilter is really better all around.

I play a customized Godin 5th Avenue, Córdoba GK Studio, and a Hamer Korina. I also play a Kala uBass on occasion

User Info Menu

Never use headphones, earbuds, etc. Doctor told me they guarantee hearing damage. Not my sensitive ears.
    Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 10-13-2019 at 03:27 AM.

User Info Menu

Try an openback circumaural set like the Grado SR80e.

User Info Menu

I use beyerdynamic DT 770's (80 ohm), best in class imo. I finished my last two mixes on those cans instead of on the monitors in the studio, cause I like 'em so much. I also use them on the metro to school because they're closed back. If you try these, you'll know. The ATH's recommended earlier in the thread are also a solid set.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo View Post
    Never use headphones, earbuds, etc. Doctor told me they guarantee hearing damage. Not my sensitive ears.
    I don’t crank it when I play connected. I know about hearing loss after 20 years in the Air Force and repairing air traffic control equipment while jets take off and land 100 meters away. My tinnitus isn’t too bad, but so far that’s the only issue and I haven’t had any tests show damage to any frequencies in my ear.

User Info Menu

None, I don't play loud thru an amp, or I play an acoustic.If everyone is asleep, I just play my tele unplugged.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 595's that I play through my Vox MV50 AC. Sounds heavenly.

User Info Menu

I have Sennheiser hd 280's. I rarely practice through headphones, but I do record (both tracking and mixing) with them. They're OK, but not great - good detail, but they don't have much bass. I've also got some JBL earbuds, and I've come to prefer them over headphones. They're more comfortable, and the mixes translate to other speakers better.John

User Info Menu

I use a set of the original Blue Mo-Fi, now called Lola or Sofi or something. Very comfortable, great frequency response, built in amp that I turn off for guitar.

NOT recommended. Too many moving parts. Warranty replaced one set in the first year when part of the suspension froze. Couple of years later and the amp switch is iffy.

User Info Menu

If you are looking at Sennheisers, specifically the open-back 650 model, some outfit called Massdrop has a version of them that are supposedly identical except for having a different color and an 3.5mm endpin instead of 1/4" (included is a 1/4 adapter, too). They are something like 80-100 bucks cheaper...I think about $240 with shipping and tax.

I took a chance on them and am satisfied, but I am no headphone expert. I was replacing some Grado 80s from the 1990s, and that's pretty much the sum of my headphone experience. You can read more at Engadget.
    Sennheiser's HD 6XX headphones offer audiophile audio for $200 (updated)

User Info Menu

I like my AKG K240 Studio headphones and they have a good reputation and are a great value. I don't use them for practicing guitar, I do use them for monitoring when recording guitar.
    B+
    Frank (aka fep)

User Info Menu

AKG K702 Open-Back Dynamic Reference Headphones.

I use them for practice sometimes, recording monitoring and listening to music via my hi-fi system.