The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 133

User Info Menu

None, I don't play loud thru an amp, or I play an acoustic.If everyone is asleep, I just play my tele unplugged.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 595's that I play through my Vox MV50 AC. Sounds heavenly.

User Info Menu

I have Sennheiser hd 280's. I rarely practice through headphones, but I do record (both tracking and mixing) with them. They're OK, but not great - good detail, but they don't have much bass. I've also got some JBL earbuds, and I've come to prefer them over headphones. They're more comfortable, and the mixes translate to other speakers better.John

User Info Menu

I use a set of the original Blue Mo-Fi, now called Lola or Sofi or something. Very comfortable, great frequency response, built in amp that I turn off for guitar.

NOT recommended. Too many moving parts. Warranty replaced one set in the first year when part of the suspension froze. Couple of years later and the amp switch is iffy.

User Info Menu

If you are looking at Sennheisers, specifically the open-back 650 model, some outfit called Massdrop has a version of them that are supposedly identical except for having a different color and an 3.5mm endpin instead of 1/4" (included is a 1/4 adapter, too). They are something like 80-100 bucks cheaper...I think about $240 with shipping and tax.

I took a chance on them and am satisfied, but I am no headphone expert. I was replacing some Grado 80s from the 1990s, and that's pretty much the sum of my headphone experience. You can read more at Engadget.
    Sennheiser's HD 6XX headphones offer audiophile audio for $200 (updated)

User Info Menu

I like my AKG K240 Studio headphones and they have a good reputation and are a great value. I don't use them for practicing guitar, I do use them for monitoring when recording guitar.

User Info Menu

AKG K702 Open-Back Dynamic Reference Headphones.

I use them for practice sometimes, recording monitoring and listening to music via my hi-fi system.

User Info Menu

I'm hitting electronics pretty hard these days but I'm also a bit crusty when it come to the new stuff.

I got a cheapo set of Sony Headphones -- no complaints -- but I am looking to upgrade.

What do you guys like? (I apologize if this is not Guitar Specific Enough Material)

I ask here because I know there are good ears listening.

User Info Menu

My absolute favorite is the Beyerdynamic DT-1990 PRO.
    They’re open back (which I prefer), but they also make a closed back version (the DT-1770 PRO).

User Info Menu

I followed my friend Joe D's advice and took the leap for a pair of Sennheiser HD 660S open backed, and as usual, it was great advice! You can hardly tell you're wearing them, and, I can still hear my wife's lovely voice in case I'm needed for some reason, like "there's a rabbit in the lettuce patch!", or something like that. Great headphones!

User Info Menu

Any thoughts in the 300$ range?

User Info Menu

Focal makes a model Clear Mg Professional that has an amazing clarity to them. Open backs, so on the train, I still go for the Sony MDR-7506 for isolated listening. As I get older, I can get away with less high end detail anyway-heh heh.
    Focal is a French audio company so I don't know about availability-they're not on everybody's radar, but in my opinion, they're worth considering if you're looking for an upgrade.
    Last edited by Jimmy blue note; 05-23-2021 at 01:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Any thoughts in the 300$ range?
    Grado SR325e works for me. The model has been replaced by the SR325x. Open back, highly rated, not too expensive. Easy to power.

User Info Menu

Love my DT-880s. I wanted something comfortable after retiring my HD-580s. The headband eventually broke so I sprung for the Beyerdynamics and have been very happy with them. Great soundstage and fairly neutral. They’re 600ohm so I’m powering them with a cheap Fiio amp before going into an RME UC and there’s gobs of clean headroom.
    Last edited by Esport; 05-24-2021 at 12:30 PM.

User Info Menu

I have Sennheiser HD280 pro phones. I like them fine, but I'm not a cork-sniffer. $80 or so.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Focal makes a model Clear Mg Professional that has an amazing clarity to them. Open backs, so on the train, I still go for the Sony MDR-7506 for isolated listening. As I get older, I can get away with less high end detail anyway-heh heh.
    Focal is a French audio company so I don't know about availability-they're not on everybody's radar, but in my opinion, they're worth considering if you're looking for an upgrade.
    Thanks for that. My Sony's are super cheapo (as in $10) but I'm just diving back into the headphone sound thing. 7506 sounds like a great upgrade for me

User Info Menu

The Sony 7506 and the aforementioned Sennheiser HD280's are niche mates and both excellent cans. Years ago these would have cost twice as much but quality is really high in both these. As you get more expensive from there, it's a law of diminishing returns very quickly and astronomically expensive very quickly.

I chose the 7506 for utility because they're more comfortable than the 280's for my head and ears. Very personal thing, headphone comfort. Try them and compare if you can.
    I'd take either of those and you can find both models for $100 or less as you look around.
    You'll be happy.

User Info Menu

I still enjoy my Sennheiser HD424 I bought new back in the 1970s... like this:

Favorite Headphones?-424-jpg

The impedance of these is 2000 ohms (yes, 2K ohms) which means they take very little power, yet won't be damaged by a lot of power. They may be safely connected directly to the speaker outputs of a power amplifier. I have two cables for mine; one is used normally for music listening using the stereo RTS jack inserted into the headphone output of one of my hifi amps, the other cable I've cut off the jack and connect it directly to the speaker outputs of a different system.

Both cables have four wires inside. The headphone end connects a pair of wires for each driver*, but on the jack end the two ground wires are joined on the ground lug of the jack... so only three conductors on the jack plug. That is the normal way since both channels of most stereo amps share a common ground. On my other system I use two mono tube amps (two separate chassis) so I use the cable with all four wires independently connected without a shared ground - these are single ended triad tube power amps and truly separating the two channels is a superior way to listen to these with headphones.

*The drivers look suspiciously just like the Sennheiser MD421 microphone capsules they have made for many decades.

User Info Menu

I was a long time audio Technica m50 guy, and still use my grado sr80s around the house and such, but I get my work done on the drop Sennheiser 6xx. more comfy and less fatiguing since they sit off your ear.

I use reference 4 on the computer and in the daw to flatten the eq curve so either of my headphones are pretty neutral. It's just a matter of quality and comfort. Highly recommend any of these, really. Workhorses, all. If you just want something to rock out to and watch goofy videos on YouTube, the grado sr80s are plenty for that. If you spend more than that, they better be paying for themselves (or you really like headphones).

User Info Menu

I got the beyerdynamic 1990's as well and love their quality, tho i do know when i have worn them over an hour or two.

User Info Menu

I have stopped buying new headphones since buying and returning my Sennheiser Momentum 3’s in favor of the Momentum 2’s.
    Here is what have now..
    Sennheiser HD700
    Sennheiser HD650
    Sennheiser Momentum 2 wireless.
    They are great headphones. If I didn’t have headphones, but I knew what I know now, I would go over to the Massdrop Site and buy a pair 6xx’s or if I had more to spend, I’d buy the headphones I recommended to my main man Skykomishone, the Sennheiser 660s. Or I’d get a pair of HiFiman Sundaras.
    I highly recommend open back headphones because the reduced pressure on your ears. I also like to hear the guitar acoustically while hearing the electric sound.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Y'all are such an amazing resource !!!!!
    I have learned so much from this thread.

My main goal for headphones is to practice synth & EWI and not drive my wife crazy.
    Those old school Sony's are looking pretty good to me. Reminds me of Junior High.

I'm not jumping very high up the headphone ladder -- just a little bit, mostly for comfort.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    I highly recommend open back headphones because the reduced pressure on your ears. I also like to hear the guitar acoustically while hearing the electric sound.
    Joe D
    This is an important point that Joe brings up. From my experience, open backs have a wider soundstage and feel less fatiguing after lots of hours. But, if you’re also gonna be recording vocals separately, a closed back set will cut down on unwanted instrumentation escaping and bleeding into your mic during the take.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    I still enjoy my Sennheiser HD424 I bought new back in the 1970s... like this:

Favorite Headphones?-424-jpg

The impedance of these is 2000 ohms (yes, 2K ohms) which means they take very little power, yet won't be damaged by a lot of power. They may be safely connected directly to the speaker outputs of a power amplifier. I have two cables for mine; one is used normally for music listening using the stereo RTS jack inserted into the headphone output of one of my hifi amps, the other cable I've cut off the jack and connect it directly to the speaker outputs of a different system.

Both cables have four wires inside. The headphone end connects a pair of wires for each driver*, but on the jack end the two ground wires are joined on the ground lug of the jack... so only three conductors on the jack plug. That is the normal way since both channels of most stereo amps share a common ground. On my other system I use two mono tube amps (two separate chassis) so I use the cable with all four wires independently connected without a shared ground - these are single ended triad tube power amps and truly separating the two channels is a superior way to listen to these with headphones.

*The drivers look suspiciously just like the Sennheiser MD421 microphone capsules they have made for many decades.
    I had those! Still my favorite of all time. I bought an extra long cord so I could sit across the room and listen.

I currently have some cheaper Sony noise-cancelling that are decent and I wear on the airplane. I also have a pair of Bluetooth Bose Soundsports for working out, and Bose Hearphones—the latter noise-cancelling and noise-enhancing, so can be used as hearing aids. Unfortunately they no longer make the Hearphones, though they do make a relatively cheap hearing aid that is highly adjustable—about $875.

The best I have listened to recently is B&O over the ear. I just find them revelatory. At $300 or so they’re not super cheap, but not crazy expensive either. I don’t listen to music or guitar with headphones much, so haven't felt the necessity to invest in better headphones.

User Info Menu

Sennheiser HD 598s for open backs - great comfort for long listening periods along with the excellent soundstage. 50 ohms.

Blue Microphone Mo-Fi for closed back. They’re called something else now. Mine are the original with the built in Fiios head phone amp. I normally turn the amp off to avoid colorizing but it’s there for boosting an iPad or phone signal if desired. 80 ohms. Excellent clarity very flat.