The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Yeah.........I’m at that crossroads here.

I have the choice to go with a new 335 or a 2015 Exurbato custom.

Played the heck out of the 335’s but the price and reviews of the Exurbato seems to be a no brainer as to which one to buy.

However, I have never played one and finding one to demo is quite difficult. If anyone has experience with an Exurbato Custom, any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I wouldn't choose an unknown over a known regardless who liked the unknown. If you find and play a 335 that works for you that seems to be the no brainer :-)PS, by new I suspect that the one you zeroed in on is available for you to play? The 2019's come with MHS pups, they're not my fave (On a 335 I like 57's better) selection from Gibson on a 335.

User Info Menu

i love the exrubato. If you check my youtube page there are tons of clips of it. I've owned 7 or 8 335s including a '60s model and the exrubato blows them all away. Quality control is impeccable and on top of that, my exrubato weighs 6.6lbs!

here's a clip of mine, plenty more on my page.

User Info Menu

Always best to try a guitar in person before buying.If not make sure to get a return policy. No matter how good any guitar is or isn't, it has to speak to YOU!

Nice video. I have not been impressed the the new 335’s. My 79 is awesome. Looking at the Seventy Seven’s, they are definitely impressive. That being said, I’m going to take the plunge on this used guitar. Hopefully, it will be worth the small investment. Will report back when I get it in hand. Should have it by Wednesday of next week.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BJames
    Nice video. I have not been impressed the the new 335’s. My 79 is awesome. Looking at the Seventy Seven’s, they are definitely impressive. That being said, I’m going to take the plunge on this used guitar. Hopefully, it will be worth the small investment. Will report back when I get it in hand. Should have it by Wednesday of next week.
    as an FYI, the seventy sevens - as a rule - have '59 style necks. Mine was a custom order with a thinner neck. The neck on mine is similar to the gibson 30/60 neck.

User Info Menu

I've played an Exrubato with a thin neck too. The level of the finish / binding / tuning / sounding was superior(to my taste) to the actual 335 (CS included) I've seen and/or played. But I've played better sounding vintage 335s and don't know if the slim neck was an option or the typical one. The QC is really surprisingly good.

User Info Menu

I get tired of people saying older Gibson's are superior to the newer ones. I've owned plenty of both,and it's a myth I'd like to call out

Both my Memphis Historic ES-335 and ES-339 are as good as any vintage Gibson out there. I didn't just bet lucky either, I have played plenty of great newer ones.As well as plenty more old bad ones

I'm sure the Excrubato is of the highest quality available. My only concern is resale if you don't like it for any reason. May e there is a used Excrubato available ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    I get tired of people saying older Gibson's are superior to the newer ones. I've owned plenty of both,and it's a myth I'd like to call out
    It's just your opinion that it's a myth. I have owned 7-8 335s including a '60s one and the '60s one was noticeably lighter, more resonant and generally better build quality. I also own a '63 Kessel and find that it sounds better than any new gibson. We've had this argument many times but just because one of us gets the last word in doesn't mean that what we write is more true than what the other one wrote. It's all just opinion and personal preference.

User Info Menu

Sorry Jack but you're wrong on this one. I can appreciate your take on this. But being 62 years old and playing professionally just like yourself, I've also owned way to many guitars as well.
    The recent Gibson's especially Memphis have been really consistently good from one to the next.Even the lowly Studio ES-339 was a great instrument.

There seems to be some Romantic attachment to the older instruments which really is misplaced in my opinion. If we are talking Norlin era Gibson's, they were basically awful.
    In fact Gibson went back to to original construction methods of the original ES guitars. As time progressed they were simplified,for production costs.
    I've also compared original late 1950's and early 1960s models side by side.
    The new ones were better and more consistent in all ways.

User Info Menu

So if you can't try it, it must be safer to go for an Exrubato, as the guitar is cheaper and the quality is more consistent