The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

I'm about to get another PRRI. When I had one before I had a Celestion Gold in it which I love. That gold is now in my Superchamp X2. When I get the PRRI I think the gold is going back in it which leaves the question of what to put in the X2. Looking for warm jazzy sounds with a little chimeyness if possible but not essential. My list has narrowed down to:Eminence Legend 1058Celestion CreamThe GA-SC64Thoughts on which for the SC?
    Last edited by vashondan; 10-11-2019 at 05:30 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have a ceramic Weber hemp with a big cone that is rated for 50 watts in mine. I liked the ceramic version better than the alnico. The alnico broke up too easily and Weber allowed me to exchange it. I like the setup a lot for living room volume. Thinking about getting a different amp as an alternate. Thinking about a VHT because they are hand wired and relatively inexpensive. I sold my Pro Jr. last week. Sounded great with the output transformer mod and recap that I did to it, but I want something with a 12" speaker in it this time. PRRI's are nice, but I want a hand wired.

User Info Menu

(apologies for the formatting, forum is having issues.)FYI, Your thread says speaker for PRRI but your post asks for speaker recommendation for a Champ X2.I don't know anything about the champ x2.I have a PRRI with a 10" and a Headstrong Lil King with a 12". Both are Princeton Reverbs.PRRI (10")Tried:- Weber 10a125- Weber 10a150- Eminence Legend 1058- Eminence Ragin Cajun- Jensen P10rKept:- Weber 10a150. Huge mids, just perfect for this amp. Made it sound much bigger.Headstrong Lil KingTried:- Celestion Gold- Eminence Legend 1258- Eminence GA SC64- Eminence Cannabis Rex- Celestion A Type- Weber 12a125- Weber 12a125a- Weber 12a150aKept:- Weber 12a150a. Same reason as above. Something tells me the T cone might be even better for this, but I didn't feel like going through another test cycle. The A cone is great. It gives the trebles a nice woodwind-like quality. Present but not harsh.I have a celestion gold 12" that I pulled out of my Elektra amp. It sounds good but honestly, I thought it had too much bass for a blackface princeton. It's hanging out in a 1948 Gibson GA 48 right now and very happy about it.I really did not like the SC 64 12". Sounded indistinct and muffled. Some people might be into that but it's not a sound I care for. Probably sounds good with distortion. If I wanted a warm ceramic speaker, the Cannabis Rex was had a much more appealing sound.
    Last edited by omphalopsychos; 10-11-2019 at 01:22 PM.

User Info Menu

I have a Jensen C10Q in my SF PR and I'm happy with it. I haven't tried other speakers in it, though so I don't have much in the way of comparisons. My SF seems to have a bit more clean headroom and low end than a friend's BF PRRI, which has the stock C10R. I'm not sure how much of that difference is the speakers and how much is the amps themselves, though.

John

User Info Menu

Is Ragin' Cajun out of fashion? It used to be the one recommended for SCXD, and I was very happy with it. Today, I'd try Jensen's Tornado 10. Neo or not, it's one helluva speaker. Just installed one today.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    (apologies for the formatting, forum is having issues.)FYI, Your thread says speaker for PRRI but your post asks for speaker recommendation for a Champ X2.I don't know anything about the champ x2.I have a PRRI with a 10" and a Headstrong Lil King with a 12". Both are Princeton Reverbs.PRRI (10")Tried:- Weber 10a125- Weber 10a150- Eminence Legend 1058- Eminence Ragin Cajun- Jensen P10rKept:- Weber 10a150. Huge mids, just perfect for this amp. Made it sound much bigger.Headstrong Lil KingTried:- Celestion Gold- Eminence Legend 1258- Eminence GA SC64- Eminence Cannabis Rex- Celestion A Type- Weber 12a125- Weber 12a125a- Weber 12a150aKept:- Weber 12a150a. Same reason as above. Something tells me the T cone might be even better for this, but I didn't feel like going through another test cycle. The A cone is great. It gives the trebles a nice woodwind-like quality. Present but not harsh.I have a celestion gold 12" that I pulled out of my Elektra amp. It sounds good but honestly, I thought it had too much bass for a blackface princeton. It's hanging out in a 1948 Gibson GA 48 right now and very happy about it.I really did not like the SC 64 12". Sounded indistinct and muffled. Some people might be into that but it's not a sound I care for. Probably sounds good with distortion. If I wanted a warm ceramic speaker, the Cannabis Rex was had a much more appealing sound.
    Thanks for the info. I think I tried one of those Webers in another amp many moons ago but didn't keep it. Don't remember why but I'll see if i can find some sound clips

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    I haven't heard warmness from a CR in reviews but know people like them

User Info Menu

I am using an Eminence Lil Buddy, very smooth and can get pretty loud if I want it to.

User Info Menu

Well, I think I want to try an Eminence speaker. We"ll which one.

User Info Menu

Another vote for the Ragin Cajun!

User Info Menu

Another vote for the Eminence Littl' Buddy. I've installed one in my SuperChamp XD and am very happy since.
    It has a smooth, dark and bold tone, with a better power handling as a bonus.

User Info Menu

I ran the Rajun Cajun in my SCXD and it sounded great. Added some volume too (and some weight!)
    I'm sure the Gold would be great in that amp too. If I was speaker shopping today, I'd look at the 10" version of the Cannibis Rex, and also check out the neo offerings like the Tornado mentioned above.

User Info Menu

Not sure but maybe the Eminence Ram Rod has less top end than the Ragin Cajun. If so that might be more what the OP is looking for with less Chime.

User Info Menu

Thanks all. I think it's come down to one of three eminence speakers. The 1058, 1028 or the Lil Buddy. Tough call. Before the Lil Buddy showed up I was divided between the other 2 and thought that the 1058 was a little darker but fuller which I liked but certainly the 1028 is nice. Question, tone wise, what's the difference between ceramic and alnico speakers?

User Info Menu

Alnico seem a bit softer in response to their Ceramic counterparts. Earlier breakup as well is what I've found from my experience.
    But I'm not a technical expert by any means,so maybe someone else can explain it in those terms better.

User Info Menu

@jads57 I’ve read a bunch of descriptions that make no sense to me. I guess I need more experience with different speakers to really understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by vashondan
    @jads57 I’ve read a bunch of descriptions that make no sense to me. I guess I need more experience with different speakers to really understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hi,

I'm currently facing the exact same decision!
    What way did you go?

Best