The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

Looks amazing, and a full size floating humbucker with some cool wiring options.

Boris Dommenget Guitarmaker handmade Guitars and Pickups

I’d love to know people’s experience with this and also where to get one.

Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have recently played a Sweet 16 equipped with a Dommenget Jazzbucker and i was so impressed that i have ordered one which is supposed to come in very soon. I contacted Boris, and orderd by eMail/paypal. I will report back after installing .....

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    I have recently played a Sweet 16 equipped with a Dommenget Jazzbucker and i was so impressed that i have ordered one which is supposed to come in very soon. I contacted Boris, and orderd by eMail/paypal. I will report back after installing .....
    Thanks, I’ll likely order one too.

What kind of guitar are you putting it on?

User Info Menu

This looks very interesting, to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzer04
    Thanks, I’ll likely order one too.

What kind of guitar are you putting it on?

Heritage Golden Eagle.

User Info Menu

I've played several guitars that had this pup installed and I liked the tone - quite articulate, but also warm and fat sounding. It's also quite thin so it fits on guitars with a more shallow neck angle. Boris has been around and knows guitars....

User Info Menu

You might also look into the Krivo offerings if you're crunched for space.

User Info Menu

Heritage "Sweet 16" with Dommenget Jazzbucker pickup :

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    Heritage "Sweet 16" with Dommenget Jazzbucker pickup
    Yep, that's the one i mentioned which i had the pleasure to play on. Lorenzo's Sweet 16 with the Dommenget Jazzbucker.

User Info Menu

Anyone know the price for this PU?

User Info Menu

it's Euro 320 (incl. 19% german tax which can be deducted if you give him your tax. no.) The price also includes shipping to Switzerland, not sure if it's different if you are located elswhere,

Is the pickup warmer than the standard Johnny smith type mini hum bucker ?

Is Boris a little slow to respond to emails. Been trying to order one

Well I ordered one, and super excited to get it !

Hey Jazznote

Wondering if you got this pickup yet and have installed it?

User Info Menu

Hey Jazznote

Wondering if you got this pickup yet and have installed it?

I got it, and i'm slowly getting closer to installing. My aim is to keep the old pickguard unchanged so that i can put it back anytime. So far i received the new pickguard, fit the PU on the PG and designed and assembled the electronic kit according to Boris Dommenget's diagram. Next step is to lacquer the pickguard and then i will finish the whole thing.

The adjustment of the polepieces seems to be a little awkward, opposed to screws which show on Dommenget's website foto they are just bolts which can be adjusted only by hammering with a tool he provided. He writes that they are preadjusted for a wound g string, but obviously for further adjustment the PU needs to be detached from the guitar everytime.

Domenget Jazzbucker Full-size Floater anyone?-img_0417-jpgDomenget Jazzbucker Full-size Floater anyone?-img_0416-jpgDomenget Jazzbucker Full-size Floater anyone?-img_0415-jpg

I got it, and i'm slowly getting closer to installing. My aim is to keep the old pickguard unchanged so that i can put it back anytime. So far i received the new pickguard, fit the PU on the PG and designed and assembled the electronic kit according to Boris Dommenget's diagram. Next step is to lacquer the pickguard and then i will finish the whole thing.

The adjustment of the polepieces seems to be a little awkward, opposed to screws which show on Dommenget's website foto they are just bolts which can be adjusted only by hammering with a tool he provided. He writes that they are preadjusted for a wound g string, but obviously for further adjustment the PU needs to be detached from the guitar everytime.

Domenget Jazzbucker Full-size Floater anyone?-img_0417-jpgDomenget Jazzbucker Full-size Floater anyone?-img_0416-jpgDomenget Jazzbucker Full-size Floater anyone?-img_0415-jpg
    It looks great but I was hoping to be able to turn the pole screws.

Was it your idea to use a thumb wheel because I’m hoping to use tone and volume pot?

Thanks

User Info Menu

It looks great but I was hoping to be able to turn the pole screws.

Was it your idea to use a thumb wheel because I’m hoping to use tone and volume pot?

Thanks

It definitely would be better to be able to turn the pole screws. Recently i played in a venue which was very difficult acoustically and it actually helped the sound a lot to be able to quickly adjust the polepieces of the 12 pole KA for the low E and A strings during the soundcheck.
    And yes, the thumbwheel was my idea. A second pot knob on the PG might be a bit in the way of my right hand.

It definitely would be better to be able to turn the pole screws. Recently i played in a venue which was very difficult acoustically and it actually helped the sound a lot to be able to quickly adjust the polepieces of the 12 pole KA for the low E and A strings during the soundcheck.
    And yes, the thumbwheel was my idea. A second pot knob on the PG might be a bit in the way of my right hand.
    It’s hard to tell from the pic, but do the pole pieces even have flathead screw slots . They kinda look like slugs. A big part of the appeal for me was the pole piece look of a paf.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

After all i found time to continue my DommengetJazzbucker/GoldenEagle PG project. The loaded PG is installed now, the Jazzbucker feels very good. Played at home it fulfills the promises of the electronics (3 position switch: single coil - humbucker - single coil with dummy to retain the lows of a humbucker). So far i do like the variations of sound/thickness, will yet have to find out how it holds up in a real playing situation. I will take it to one of the next rehearsals as i don't want to take risks on gigs (i am too lazy to carry 2 guitars ;-). Since i don't do many rehearsals recently it might take a while until i get to it. For now there's just a foto of the beauty :-).
    Domenget Jazzbucker Full-size Floater anyone?-dsc_2303-jpg

User Info Menu

After all i found time to continue my DommengetJazzbucker/GoldenEagle PG project. The loaded PG is installed now, the Jazzbucker feels very good. Played at home it fulfills the promises of the electronics (3 position switch: single coil - humbucker - single coil with dummy to retain the lows of a humbucker). So far i do like the variations of sound/thickness, will yet have to find out how it holds up in a real playing situation. I will take it to one of the next rehearsals as i don't want to take risks on gigs (i am too lazy to carry 2 guitars ;-). Since i don't do many rehearsals recently it might take a while until i get to it. For now there's just a foto of the beauty :-).
    Sharp looking guitar and pickup. Hope it’s serving you well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Sharp looking guitar and pickup. Hope it’s serving you well.
    Thanks Steve, it's a inspiring guitar and i'm very happy with it :-).

Nice job.
    Does it sound close to a full size bucker?

Is there enough output compared to a mini bucker?
    Boris said there should be plenty.

Mine was shipped over two weeks ago, and I’m eager to get it.

Thanks !

User Info Menu

Nice job.
    Does it sound close to a full size bucker?

Is there enough output compared to a mini bucker?
    Boris said there should be plenty.

Mine was shipped over two weeks ago, and I’m eager to get it.

Thanks !
    As far as i can say it does sound close to a full size HB, but since the Golden Eagle is a total different instrument from the L5CES which i compared the resemblance is not so obvious.

Mini humbuckers vary in output. I compared the original 76 Johnny Smith, with a JS on a 2014 LeeRit L5 with a replacement i got from Gibson recently (supposed to be the same as on a LeeRit. L5) and realized that the original Johnny Smith is louder than all of them, including the full size HB.
    So the loudest is the 76JS, then comes the original LeeRit. 2014 JS, then the full size HB on the L5 as well as the Dommenget, and finally the new (replacement) Gibson JS.

However, as the polepieces are not adjusted to the same distances from strings these comparisons are somewhat inaccurate. It may well be that the replacement LeeRit would produce the same volume if adjusted the same as the original.

Not sure if this helps, but i sure would appreciate your opinion regarding the subject after your Dommenget is installed.

As far as i can say it does sound close to a full size HB, but since the Golden Eagle is a total different instrument from the L5CES which i compared the resemblance is not so obvious.

Mini humbuckers vary in output. I compared the original 76 Johnny Smith, with a JS on a 2014 LeeRit L5 with a replacement i got from Gibson recently (supposed to be the same as on a LeeRit. L5) and realized that the original Johnny Smith is louder than all of them, including the full size HB.
    So the loudest is the 76JS, then comes the original LeeRit. 2014 JS, then the full size HB on the L5 as well as the Dommenget, and finally the new (replacement) Gibson JS.

However, as the polepieces are not adjusted to the same distances from strings these comparisons are somewhat inaccurate. It may well be that the replacement LeeRit would produce the same volume if adjusted the same as the original.

Not sure if this helps, but i sure would appreciate your opinion regarding the subject after your Dommenget is installed.
    Interesting findings between the pickups.

I will for sure let you know what I think when I get things installed. It’s gonna be a little while because I’m leaving it with my luthier for a bit to do other work as well.