The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 121 of 121

User Info Menu

I still haul around an old Polytone MiniBrute II to all my gigs. Because the amp is so old I keep another one just like it in the trunk of the car as a back up.

Occasionally, I look over at the amp on stage and tell it, "be on your best behavior; your replacement is just outside in the lot."

To date, no problems.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    I still haul around an old Polytone MiniBrute II to all my gigs. Because the amp is so old I keep another one just like it in the trunk of the car as a back up. Occasionally, I look over at the amp on stage and tell it, "be on your best behavior; your replacement is just outside in the lot."To date, no problems.
    Thanks Greentone--I'll try that later. BTW, enjoyed the piece about you in the Sun last year. Great story.Thanks,Tony D.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    My Mini-Brute II is the only amp I have left. The reverb still works (believe it or not) but its very noisy and the springs are very loose. You can hear them clanging around when someone walks into the room while I am playing. I wanted to switch out the reverb unit, but when I opened the back I noticed it has a large capaciter bolted to it. So I just unplugged the wire going into the reverb and use the amp (sparingly) without it.Eventually, I will get another reverb unit for it and replace the foam grill to restore it. To me, a Polytone is a symbolistic component of the music that I love. So, for historical reasons, it is really cool to have one in my guitar room.I dont know know of very many electronic devices that were made in the 70's, that are still operational in 2019. Polytone Amps are amazing.Joe D
    I totally agree Joe. When the amp first started to make noise, I couldn't believe it and couldn't conceive of using another amp except my not so portable Twin. I bought the Polytone at a local music store (now long gone) after playing my ES345 with PAFs through it. I never heard of the name and new nothing about the amp except that it was compact and sounded very smooth. 40 years is indeed a good run for any electronic device. I'm about 30 miles east of Manhattan so I should have no problem finding someone to fix it.Tony D.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    My Mini-Brute II is the only amp I have left. The reverb still works (believe it or not) but its very noisy and the springs are very loose. You can hear them clanging around when someone walks into the room while I am playing. I wanted to switch out the reverb unit, but when I opened the back I noticed it has a large capaciter bolted to it. So I just unplugged the wire going into the reverb and use the amp (sparingly) without it.Eventually, I will get another reverb unit for it and replace the foam grill to restore it. To me, a Polytone is a symbolistic component of the music that I love. So, for historical reasons, it is really cool to have one in my guitar room.I dont know know of very many electronic devices that were made in the 70's, that are still operational in 2019. Polytone Amps are amazing.Joe D
    Replacing the reverb unit is easy. Just do it. But rather than replacing the foam, installing a metal grill like the later Polytones have is a better idea.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pilotony
    40 years is indeed a good run for any electronic device.
    That's an interesting point. I would guess that tube amps (instrument and stereo) are easier to maintain and rehab because their components are large, identifiable and easier to get to. And in many cases made to be replaced on a rather frequent basis.

Circuit boards and the micro components of transistor amps seem to me very difficult to work on. (From what I've heard--I have very little experience working with electronics.)

I've had a couple of SS amps that are 20+ years old. My current audio setup components are 30 years old--my Nakamichi amp still works, except that the electronic tuner doesn't tune. But 40 years seems to me pushing it.

Just as an aside I read an article that Apple touts their earbuds ($150) as being serviceable when the battery goes (apparently lasts 12-18 months), but that isn't true. They just throw away the old ones and give you a discount on a new pair.

User Info Menu

My Polytone Mini Brute I squealed too.

The power supply was the culprit.

User Info Menu

I suspected as much. Flaky capacitor(s)?

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I intend to have the Polytone repaired. Meanwhile, its "replacement" Deluxe Reverb Re-issue has been knocking me out with its 50s crunchy tone.

Thanks again.

Tony D.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I intend to have the Polytone repaired. Meanwhile, its "replacement" Deluxe Reverb Re-issue has been knocking me out with its 50s crunchy tone.

Thanks again.

Tony D.
    I loves my DRRI!

User Info Menu

hey tony, your princeton morphed into a deluxe??? it'll be back to a twin soon!

haha

cheers

User Info Menu

Thanks again.

Tony D.
    After over 30 years of playing Polytones, I came new to Fenders with a Princeton Reverb Re-Issue special edition from Sweetwater. Wow. I think I'm a convert to the Fender sound!

User Info Menu

My 1978 102D died a few years ago. The repair guy actually emailed me pictures of the circuit board with a hole where something blew up. It was definitely unrepairable. I've been looking for a replacement archtop amp for a few years and the only one (from demos online) I considered was a Mambo.

However, wanting something more versatile, I am waiting for the delivery (any day now) of the Brute EQ pedal from jassmus to use in conjunction with a Boss Katana MKII. [Edit: Decided on a DV Mark Micro 50 CMT instead because it sounds warmer than the Katana.]

I wouldn't search for another Polytone. The caps and other components are old...waiting to fail.
    I'd find something newer.
    Last edited by HCarlH; 11-05-2019 at 05:45 PM.

User Info Menu

I still haul around an old Polytone MiniBrute II to all my gigs. Because the amp is so old I keep another one just like it in the trunk of the car as a back up.

Occasionally, I look over at the amp on stage and tell it, "be on your best behavior; your replacement is just outside in the lot."

To date, no problems.

nice!
    I would ask you, why the preamp out (or main out in the earlier version), is so noisy? (mbII1980)
    I can’t plug the cable on the mixer, too hum, ground noises.. zzzz zzzzz zzzzzzz my god!
    Do you think latest model has a better sound output?
    how to improve the output quality?

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    hey tony, your princeton morphed into a deluxe??? it'll be back to a twin soon!

haha

cheers
    Oops! Sorry about that. The Princeton Reverb Re-Issue is working as advertised--it's light and really gets out ahead of the brass instruments. Thanks for all the comments.

User Info Menu

Sorry for the late response. I tried the preamp out on my 1980 (felt covered) Mini Brute II recently, at the request of my keyboard player (who runs the PA).

We didn't notice unusual noise. Your mileage obviously varies. The output, as is shown below, is called "Main Out." My manual, however, indicates that this is the preamp output.
    Polytone Mini Brute II - A Good Choice for Jazz?-outputs-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by archtopdream63
    nice!
    I would ask you, why the preamp out (or main out in the earlier version), is so noisy? (mbII1980)
    I can’t plug the cable on the mixer, too hum, ground noises.. zzzz zzzzz zzzzzzz my god!
    Do you think latest model has a better sound output?
    how to improve the output quality?

cheers

Likely a grounding issue. I have used the direct out with good results.

User Info Menu

Sorry for the late response. I tried the preamp out on my 1980 (felt covered) Mini Brute II recently, at the request of my keyboard player (who runs the PA).We didn't notice unusual noise. Your mileage obviously varies. The output, as is shown below, is called "Main Out." My manual, however, indicates that this is the preamp output.Polytone Mini Brute II - A Good Choice for Jazz?-outputs-jpg
    Yes, it is the preamp out - coax/output cable fra main pre to power amp also connects to the “main out” Jack on its path to the power amp.If the amp plays fine otherwise, its likely just a poor/bad/broken connection at the main out Jack.But... besides that, theres a handfull of issues that be troublesome when you a audio signal into/between several units each connected to mains (120-230v). But make sure first that you (archtopdream) have a solid connection, signal and a Ground, on the “main out” input jack.Pilotony, sry for the off topic detour.
    Last edited by jazzmus; 11-05-2019 at 12:45 PM.

User Info Menu

kind of grounding noises...
    i will check if the out is connected to ground.
    Anyway, it’s a vintage output and I know I can’t ask for more.

User Info Menu

Found almost exact matches on eBay for the overdrive knobs. Both replaced in this picture. T18 6mm splined

19mm Control Knob T18 Splined, 6.0mm or 6.35mm D-Shaft, Movable Pointer K21 | eBay

User Info Menu

There's a polytone for sale locally. It's a 15 inch speaker with extension. Seems a little expensive because of the extra cab. Kinda curious what model and year this is? Its $550
    Polytone Mini Brute II - A Good Choice for Jazz?-polytone-1-jpgPolytone Mini Brute II - A Good Choice for Jazz?-polytone-2-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by callouscallus
    There's a polytone for sale locally. It's a 15 inch speaker with extension. Seems a little expensive because of the extra cab. Kinda curious what model and year this is? Its $550
    Polytone Mini Brute II - A Good Choice for Jazz?-polytone-1-jpgPolytone Mini Brute II - A Good Choice for Jazz?-polytone-2-jpg
    Thought the ones with foam speaker grills were diamond tolex.