The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

Just got one of these, Blows away any modeler I owned. Makes any SS amp sound like a tube amp.

Kingsley Amplifiers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Which model Maiden do you have... blackface or Dumble inspired? That Pedal Show has some great videos showing the Maiden. Too bad the wait list is so long and those few that are selling used are typically asking almost twice the new price.Pretty interesting internals with the 12ax7. Internals look like a small hand built amp Source of image (an old Reverb post): Kingsley Maiden Dumble pre amp 2017 | Reverb

User Info Menu

Dig the construction choices. I imagine it sounds great.

mine is the dumble. The dumble is not that far off from the blackface. It's a little more midrangey and less twangy than the BF and less overwhelming bottom end. Running it through a Raezer's Edge Luna or Quilter blows away running a modeling preamp (axefx/kemper) through the same amps. Instead of sounding similar to the real amp tube amp, it *IS* a real tube amp.

I really wish I hadn't delved back into tube amps now because this is literally all I need.

User Info Menu

Were you on a waiting list for very long? I've heard that some of the Kingsley products have more than a year wait.

Doug

waited a year. Frankly, if I had known how good it sounds, it would have been worth the $150 to get a used one sooner...

User Info Menu

I waited two years for a Maiden D and Page DS. Loved the Maiden and did not care for the Page. The Maiden into a Torpedo CAB is my go to gigging setup (not jazz though). At home I also play it into a Fryette powerstation and a cab with lovely results. Fantastic pedal!.

User Info Menu

Kingsley users - could you tell me if the preamps offer the feel of playing through a tube amp as well?

I am seriously considering building up a leightweight setup consisting of a juggler and a class d power amp like the power station and a nice but leightweight cab...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blue_lu
    Kingsley users - could you tell me if the preamps offer the feel of playing through a tube amp as well?

I am seriously considering building up a leightweight setup consisting of a juggler and a class d power amp like the power station and a nice but leightweight cab...
    Yes, this will work nicely. One of my setups is Kingsley Maiden D into Fryette Power Station 2 (run as a power amp) into a 12'' cab (or a pair of those). It works very nicely and sounds great. It feels like an all tube amp, because it is an all tube amp - just "deconstructed".

User Info Menu

Thanks for answering - the problem here is the following:

I have no doubt that the Fryette performs like tube amp ... since it is a tube based power amp. In Simon's videos you can already tell that it sounds better, bolder more 3d than the solid state class D equivalent (Seymour Duncan Power Stage 700). But it is too heavy for me to lug to sessions / jams in the city.

ThereforeI am mainly looking at Class D / Solid state power amps to use with the pedal. The question is: Can a tube based preamp in combination with a class D power amp (seymour Duncan PS 170, for example) a similar feel to a real tube amp or is the power amp responsible for the typical tube amp behaviour. I am talking that slight compression, saginess, sponginess when digging in, etc.

User Info Menu

I have no doubt that the Fryette performs like tube amp ... since it is a tube based power amp. In Simon's videos you can already tell that it sounds better, bolder more 3d than the solid state class D equivalent (Seymour Duncan Power Stage 700). But it is too heavy for me to lug to sessions / jams in the city.

ThereforeI am mainly looking at Class D / Solid state power amps to use with the pedal. The question is: Can a tube based preamp in combination with a class D power amp (seymour Duncan PS 170, for example) a similar feel to a real tube amp or is the power amp responsible for the typical tube amp behaviour. I am talking that slight compression, saginess, sponginess when digging in, etc.
    I see. Yes, the Fryette ist not the smallest and lightest (and also not the most quiet because of the fan). I also thought that in Simon's demos, the Fryette sounded a fair bitt better than the SD. I am not sure how to answer your question to be honest. But I can say that Tube Preamp into a cabsim (Like Torpedo C.A.B.) into the PA does sound good and authentic and also feels good too play. Here there is no power amp involved, just digital emulations. If you give me the choice, I'd always power up my tube amps, but there are many situations where that is not practical of course.

Have you considered a Strymon Iridium into a powered FRFR speaker? That should be about as light as it gets and it looks to me that this thing sounds really good. Yes, all digital etc., but no menus or option paralysis of any kind, just straightforward, amp like controls.

User Info Menu

If I may, since we are talking about pleasing tube colorations of the Fryette PS, if you choose to use a more neutral-sounding Class D like a Seymour Duncan Power Station, insert a tube buffer in between the Kingsley Maiden and the Class D amplifier. Further, I don't know if Simon Jarrett could tweak his Maiden pedal for more coloration to be used with a Class D amp.

If you ask me, it is only in a side by side comparison that you hear the more pleasing coloration of the Fryette. Heard on its own, the Kingsley Maiden into the SD Power Station would be swell.

The Raezer's Edge Luna amp sounds promising. Worth checking out.

I like the Vox MV50 Clean Nutube. It is 50W into 4ohms. The Milkman The Amp is another interesting option for the Kingsley Maiden. 100W into 4ohms, this one has a real 12AX7 input stage.

No, it won't feel identical to a tube amp. It helps if you have a power amp that has a reactive output section like the quilter. I use my maiden into a quilter 202 and it sounds great but when i plug into my vintage sound (vibrolux reverb) there's no comparison.

in terms of what I've tried, this is my preference.

• Great fender amp
    • maiden going into quilter (reactive output)
    • modeler going into class D and into guitar speakers
    • maiden going into typical class D
    • class D or traditional analog

User Info Menu

Thanks everybody. Hopefully my order with Simon came through. The waiting game beginns...

User Info Menu

So - I just recieved my pedal - I went for the ministrel. It such an amazing pedal. It just feels liquid and squishy when playing it, like a good amp - and *not* stiff and brittle like my TS Clone I used before that. Amazing pedal! Oh - and it does a very decent clean as well. Here are two Videos I found online, that sold me again on kingsley pedals. The tone is can be gainy but the natural compression really facilitates legato style playing.
    Need to get a soundcard and a cab sim again to record some stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Just got one of these, Blows away any modeler I owned. Makes any SS amp sound like a tube amp.

Kingsley Amplifiers
    Love my Kingsley preamps!

I ended up selling all of my amps except one combo and primarily play into the preamp + IR rig at my desk into studio monitors or headphones. I tried the modeler route too (which was actually much better than I expected) but haven't been happier than with the Kingsley setup for sound that won't wake up sleeping kids.

Currently got:
    Squire BF - Black Face Fender
    Constable - Marshall Plexi
    Troubadour - 5e3 Tweed Deluxe

I swap the preamps out & tweak the IR cab depending on what I'm in the mood to play. I love the flexibility.

I also recommend the Page V2...it's special, boost with some gain on it but it's soooo smooth. I also like the Peasant with the Tweed...boost to add more grit but also sculpt the low end so it doesn't get muddy. Haven't been disappointed with any of his pedals that I've tried.
    Last edited by LimehouseBlues; 11-16-2021 at 10:40 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    No, it won't feel identical to a tube amp. It helps if you have a power amp that has a reactive output section like the quilter. I use my maiden into a quilter 202 and it sounds great but when i plug into my vintage sound (vibrolux reverb) there's no comparison.

in terms of what I've tried, this is my preference.

• Great fender amp
    • maiden going into quilter (reactive output)
    • modeler going into class D and into guitar speakers
    • maiden going into typical class D
    • class D or traditional analog
    have you tried a quilter superblock US jack ?
    interested what you think ,
    because i believe it’s also got a bit of sag in the power amp design ....

User Info Menu

Love my Kingsley pedals!

i sold all my overdrive pedals and replaced it with Kingsley stuff. Just too good.

also, I dont use overdrive anymore, and Ive put clean preamps on my board now, and have created a Faux effects loop, basically preamp -> delay/reverb -> power amp sim -> speaker cab sim to go direct to PA.

I basically have three “amps” on my board.

maiden D
    page D -TS
    constable JTM/Plexi

it sounds super good. Now I dont have to lug my amps anymore. Just my guitar and board.. it might change soon as I’m about to purchase a Fryette PS-2a to have a proper tube power amp.. so i can be super flexible either direct to Pa or amplified through a physical speaker cab..

Untitled by D Y, on Flickr

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LimehouseBlues
    Love my Kingsley preamps!

I ended up selling all of my amps except one combo and primarily play into the preamp + IR rig at my desk into studio monitors or headphones. I tried the modeler route too (which was actually much better than I expected) but haven't been happier than with the Kingsley setup for sound that won't wake up sleeping kids.

Currently got:
    Squire BF - Black Face Fender
    Constable - Marshall Plexi
    Troubadour - 5e3 Tweed Deluxe

I swap the preamps out & tweak the IR cab depending on what I'm in the mood to play. I love the flexibility.

I also recommend the Page V2...it's special, boost with some gain on it but it's soooo smooth. I also like the Peasant with the Tweed...boost to add more grit but also sculpt the low end so it doesn't get muddy. Haven't been disappointed with any of his pedals that I've tried.
    i’m on the list for a Troubadour! I’m debating if I should go for a Constable 5F6A + Peasant or Troubadour + Peasant!

User Info Menu

Hi folks,

does anyone use the Maiden-preamp with the mambo? And if so, do you put it in front or in the return-loop?

best,
    lapideus

User Info Menu

Tubes just plain sound better. It’s the only reason tube amps are still around.
    I’ve used tube preamp pedals for decades, some commercial and some I’ve made on my own. Yeah, makes modeling sound just terrible.

User Info Menu

I did not read all the post, but you asked “could a tube preamp into a ss power amp play or feel the same as a tube power”? One of the things that you have to take into consideration is if you need the sag that happens in power amps based on the rectifier. Many tube amps have ss rectifer, so it is not necessarily missed but it does have an impact. However I have limited experiences. Now I will go back and read the rest of the posts. Peace

User Info Menu

This pedal is intriguing..

Curious from the users, what would adding the Kingsley do to the sound going into a Quilter 101R through a Cannabis Rex speaker?

User Info Menu

While I don’t doubt any of the comments above. I guess maybe I’m the odd man out here. So I’ve switched to Quilter Aviator and TB202 some years back and use various pedals including Luxury Drive or an Xotic Sweet Spot boost pedals before the input.

This definitely adds a bit more sag and sweetness for lack of a better description. I also run it very low for tone not to boost the gain.
    So While I have no doubt the Kingsley pedals are probably superior in many ways. I have never had a better Clean Tone at loud Stage Band volume.

So is this mainly for recording purposes or an Overdrive Tone people here are raving about?