The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 47 of 47

User Info Menu

Danny W you are my hero! What a Cool looking gig that must have been.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A tele is affordable, bulletproof, cormfortable to play, wide choice of sounds, it is a supreme jazz guitar. I think the jazz/archtop stage image had a bit to do with it not being used as much for a long time. And, as totally awesome as that tele neck pup sounds, a busy musician that plays a wide variety of different locations often is guaranteed to deal with hum often enough to annoy. Humbuckers are a factor for active gigging/working musicians, make no doubt about it.

User Info Menu

I think it's just a practical choice that may be slightly influenced by culture. Most guitars sound decent for jazz, as I think that the phrase "jazz guitar" means virtually nothing in terms of sound - Sco and Metheny are both jazz guitarists, as are Frisell and Wes. I don't think any of those sound similar at all, but they all go under the same umbrella.
    I guess a Tele is proven now to be a reliable guitar for many different occasions. It's the 501 all over again!

I had a great Tele that I sold when the neck pickup broke. I never liked playing jazz with it though, because I think a good Tele jazz sound needs a rolled-down tone pot (or a 'bucker!), and I like to run mine wide-open. Guess that's why I use an ES with humbuckers
    My favorite tele sound is at 2:18 here, but that's a modded tele with a humbucker afaik:

User Info Menu

I have found the perfect jazz guitar and it is the Godin A6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Time to delete your Telecaster love thread?
    Telecaster is best all round still. Although the A6 passes the ‘but will it Django?’ test better.

No bridge pickup on the Godin....

User Info Menu

Also the A6 like the tele has a respectable 25.5” scale length. I’m wondering if I stick Argentines on it....

I’d do that with a tele but I can’t adjust the pole pieces....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Also the A6 like the tele has a respectable 25.5” scale length. I’m wondering if I stick Argentines on it....

I’d do that with a tele but I can’t adjust the pole pieces....
    Time for a Seymour Duncan Li'l '59. Word.

User Info Menu

If there is such thing as a "standard guitar sound", the flamenco guitar is the closest, no-rosewood Tele comes second. Then come all the other delicious deviations. I mean, in our common imagination the guitar is supposed to sound bright in a very specific way. So maybe people tend to start missing that if binging on something fatter/softer/mellower for too long?

User Info Menu

The sound of jazz guitar is historically and aesthetically characteristic of the sound of archtops, but I taught myself how to play jazz on my Strat. Aesthetic choice meaning "that kind of sound" would assume a sound different than an archtop, but for many of us the beauty of a solid body guitar is that it may be played to sound like jazz, that sound just incidentally the sound of a jazz archtop.

User Info Menu

I prefer: A radius of at least 12 to 20, Jumbo fret wire, 1 pickup (humbucker), Single cut, Locking tuners, Flats. OTS telecasters have to be modified to meet all those preferences. I have an OTS tele but it is rarely used. Out of the box, my Holdsworth Fatboy is just about perfect. But my South Korean Aria FA-71 gets played the most.
    Last edited by geogio; 10-08-2019 at 06:11 AM.

User Info Menu

Oscar Moore and his Telecaster (1951)

https://amodernist.blogspot.com/2012...nder-1951.html

User Info Menu

I view current the popularity as a couple different factors:

- Every fulltime jazz musician these days flies, a lot, and solid bodies are often just easier to manage and less risky to travel with than archtops.
    - For me, Julian Lage was a factor in finally pulling the trigger on a tele. Obviously there's a long history here, Bickert, Frisell, etc.
    - In a lot of very current jazz music I hear, the role of the guitar is much bigger than the traditional archtop sound subbing for a piano. People like Nir Felder, Brandon Seabrook, etc. Oftentimes a tele is more versatile here, you can get a very good jazz sound and also many others. Also young jazz musicians listen to snarky puppy and vulfpeck and they are playing solid bodies most of the time. these bands also tour like hell and so it goes back to pragmatism too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by geogio
    I prefer: A radius of at least 12 to 20, Jumbo fret wire, 1 pickup (humbucker), Single cut, Locking tuners, Flats.
    The old Strat Plus guitars are all that if you interpret the Lace Sensors as having a more humbucker than single coil tone and response. They never sound shrill, thin, tinny, or piercing; always fat and smooth with depth, and a nice "Jazz thump" because the Laces slightly compress when played more firmly.The early ones that use the Wilkinson Roller Nut have an additional feature; the rollers each have a pair of needle bearings, but all of those share the same axis. This means that the strings as they exit the roller nut to the fingerboard are all the same height, in the same plane, and this is maintained up through about the fifth to seventh fret, depending on how much curvature you set the saddle heights... get it? This makes any playing of chords down in the lowest positions feel more like a classical guitar (which also has the strings entering the fingerboard in a flat plane), but the higher up the neck you choose to position yourself, the more string radius is influenced by the saddle heights' curve... really very nice for overall feel and play-ability... gives more room for fat fingers in the lower positions when you want to include undamped open strings in your chords. However, the old style roller nut is enclosed, so 46-11 string gauge is about a big a set as will work, but there are some flat sets that meet that spec.

User Info Menu

The moment you face an airplane flight an archtop becomes problematic, especially in recent years. I'd think that plays a role in recording/touring musicians choices.

User Info Menu

Hum, quotation is not working. Regarding the hum of the Tele single coil pick up: I have replaced all of mine with single coil sized humbucker's and I'm quite happy. The Dimarzio Area T is an excellent pick up; currently I have Bill Lawrence Wilde L280TN pickups in my Teles and they're really fantastic. Both fit into the Telecaster body and pick guard without modifications and work fine with either 250K or 500K pots.

User Info Menu

I think Nir Felder plays a Mexican Strat. Obviously hasn't felt much need to change it.

User Info Menu

‘Reply with quote’ still not working on my iPad/Safari. To the various answers to the OP’s question I would add this one: over-loud drummers.

User Info Menu

What's the best cheap off the shelf tele for jazz ?

id like a rosewood board and a humbucker ideally
    It's got to be really cheap ideally

ideally speaking ....

User Info Menu

Get a squier classic vibe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr quick
    I think it's just a practical choice that may be slightly influenced by culture. Most guitars sound decent for jazz, as I think that the phrase "jazz guitar" means virtually nothing in terms of sound - Sco and Metheny are both jazz guitarists, as are Frisell and Wes. I don't think any of those sound similar at all, but they all go under the same umbrella. I guess a Tele is proven now to be a reliable guitar for many different occasions. It's the 501 all over again! I had a great Tele that I sold when the neck pickup broke. I never liked playing jazz with it though, because I think a good Tele jazz sound needs a rolled-down tone pot (or a 'bucker!), and I like to run mine wide-open. Guess that's why I use an ES with humbuckers My favorite tele sound is at 2:18 here, but that's a modded tele with a humbucker afaik:
    What do you think the second solo is?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    What's the best cheap off the shelf tele for jazz ?

id like a rosewood board and a humbucker ideally
    It's got to be really cheap ideally

ideally speaking ....
    I like single coils, but if I was in your shoes, I'd find a Tele (Mexican?) that was routed for a neck HB and swap in one I liked. That said, I don't know what Tele that would be

User Info Menu

When I read the title I was thinking jazz on a strat or tele has been around for a long time... Ed Bickert of course. But I was thinking of a Don Mock instructional video from sometime in maybe the 80's or earlier.

Les Paul too