Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

If you saw my listing for my vintage 47 amp in the for sale section you may have noticed an interesting guitar. It's a Gibson L-50 Black Special. I've been getting questions about it, so I figured I should do a NGD post. Yes there's a pickup in it. No it's not original. I saw it listed on Carter Vintage at a good price and I knew I was planning to mod it. I was kinda thinking of putting a CC Pickup in it, like Fred Archtop's Black Slaman, but I already did that to a sunburst L-50. I decided to go with another classic pickup - the Paul Bigsby cast iron pickup. This one was made by TK Smith.

Here are some pics.

I desecrated an 82 year Gibson, you may throw things at me-img_2089-jpgI desecrated an 82 year Gibson, you may throw things at me-img_2137-jpg

And some notes about the pickup. It's a sweet pillowy, squishy, chewy pickup. I don't know exactly how else to describe it. Especially plugged into my Elektra 185, I feel like I'm picking a soft, bouncy cloud-thing rather than a guitar. I hope that's descriptive enough. The tone is naturally rolled off quite a bit, so I recalibrate my technique and amp settings a bit when I play this guitar. That said, the pickup (and the guitar) is really sensitive to these adjustments, I can get a lot of variety in tone from just a neck pickup by picking closer to the bridge, picking harder, palm muting, etc. I figured a Brazilian classical piece would be good material to demo this piece of gear with. It's a perfect match with my EH 185 clone by Elektra amps.

I posted a clip of it on youtube and instagram, enjoy. I stopped using fancy mics to record because I don't have the time/patience needed to achieve professional quality audio, so this is just with a Shure MV88; absolutely zero postprocessing (aside from lossy compression courtesy of youtube and instagram).

juan hernandez on Instagram: “Speaking of Dilermando Reis, here’s a tune for @jimcampilongo. Guitar outfitted with a @tksmithguitar CAR pickup by Geoff at @sfguitarworks…”
    Last edited by omphalopsychos; 10-01-2019 at 10:13 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here, catch..
    That was really nice Omph. I enjoyed it.
    What you did was bring an old girl into the modern era. I think it’s really cool.
    Thanks for sharing your experiment and your wonderful playing.
    Very cool.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

I like it.
    Check out my tracks at www.soundcloud.com/billmcmannis

User Info Menu

Have you thought about putting a cutaway on it?

User Info Menu

Needs a Floyd rose. And and EMA in the bridge

Seruiosly some purists might complain but it’s yours to do the job you need and if that requires modding, well, so be it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

You didn't desecrate that guitar at all, at least not in my opinion.

If a guy were to electrify a guitar like that back in the 40's, that's the kind of thing that would've been done.

I've always wanted to try one of those TK Smith pickups - I love CC pickups and Dynasonics, there's something special about big bobbin single coils... I'm not a humbucker guy at all.

Thanks.

entresz gets it.

For reference, look at what some nut did to his D’Angelico.

I desecrated an 82 year Gibson, you may throw things at me-493dd6f8-c24d-47fc-8ec7-0995c187dafd-jpeg

User Info Menu

just as long as Chet didn't stick that big ole cigar under a headstock string.....

User Info Menu

Sounds good to me! Pickup is cool too.

User Info Menu

Guitars should be played, not stuck in museums. You are now part of that guitar's history.

Pity your patience ran out when it came to recording its sound, as it deserves better, I think. Always love hearing you play, though!

User Info Menu

omphalopsychos, I wish I had for "piano fingers" like yours. Being stuck with stubby ones has been like a gal with a smaller sized bust. I can make do, but always wished for better :-)
    Regards,

Gary

User Info Menu

Oh, Gary, could you be more sexist?!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop View Post
    What's wrong with being sexy?
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

Guys, stop hitting on Gary.

Also, to set the record straight, I don't have particularly large hands or long fingers. I think my hands have just gotten stretchy over the years as a function of the repertoire at a given moment. I think the time spent on Bill Evans, Monk, and Derek Bailey left a lasting impression - those seconds are farther apart than they look.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop View Post
    It is not sexist if it's true :-)
    Regards,

Gary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI View Post
    It is not sexist if it's true :-)
    And sometimes the truth is sexist.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I have often wondered why so few women play jazz.

User Info Menu

LOVED that "When I take my Sugar to Tea" link/vid.

And noted the wide number of guitars pictured within.

I just never hear too much Nat and Oscar ...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I recorded the bridge today partly to compensate for Instagrams 1 minute clip length but mostly to appease Rob’s sound engineering standards. Still lazy with my mic setup but this time I reduced the gain on the amp to get more clarity.

juan hernandez on Instagram: “Instagram ran out of tape before I could record the bridge so here it is. If you want to hear the whole tune, play my last post twice then…”

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

cant go wrong with tk and michiel!!

2 of a small group of great current vintage niche inspired makers..i'll throw in tavo @ nocturne, grez and v47 too

enjoy

cheers

User Info Menu

Sweet sounding archtop. Well done!
    Best regards, k

User Info Menu

What a great looking and great sounding guitar ! Congrats Omphy!
    Archtop YT Channel: www.youtube.com/+FredArchtop

User Info Menu

Oomph, the only thing I want to throw at you is a compliment for tasty playing on a sweet sounding rig.

User Info Menu

I think it looks badass.

L50s are ripe for this sort of conversion no? I mean they are nice instruments but not the best acoustic guitars?

User Info Menu

Sounds great too. That guitar is telling you how happy it is.

User Info Menu

Totally applauding you! You have the skills to do that guitar justice in the upgrade. The guitar deserves a stylin’ pickup that gives it a second life.

My 1954 L50 is destined for a Brit made CC pickup. I’m just studying how to do it—yes, it’s crazy but I want to do it myself. I”m a slow-going, methodical, one-step, measure 5 times then cut once kind of guy. I want to do it, but I’m studying it obsessively until I get the process.

We’ll have to introduce our pimped out L50’s some time when mine is done!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

I grew up around an L-48, dad gave it to my sister who pawned it. That still burns me.

User Info Menu

Looks and sounds great!

User Info Menu

I don’t think you desecrated it at all. I think it’s absolutely lovely.
    Redeemed, Husband, Father, Veteran. Thankful for all four!

I play a customized Godin 5th Avenue, Córdoba GK Studio, and a Hamer Korina. I also play a Kala uBass on occasion

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by geogio View Post
    I grew up around an L-48, dad gave it to my sister who pawned it. That still burns me.
    I have an L-48, which I treasure. It helped through some tough times. I also have a sister, and a brother and I treasure them as well.
    Best regards, k

User Info Menu

Omphalopsycho, that is a sweet sounding combination. Loved the clip and the gear. Thanks for posting. Very cool!