The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

You are probably right and I am probably odd. I have a guitar with a six-position selector and an amp with master volume and controls for mid, bright, boost, gain and presence. I change settings often. Others probably find one sound and stick with it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    You are probably right and I am probably odd. I have a guitar with a six-position selector and an amp with master volume and controls for mid, bright, boost, gain and presence. I change settings often. Others probably find one sound and stick with it.
    Variety is the spice of life! When gigging, I found the six-position VariTone on my ES-345 and the five pickup plus sweet-switch on/off combinations (10 in all) on my PRS Custom 24s in concert with reverb/tremolo settings provided a broad palette of tonal options for an equally wide selection of songs/genres. Wouldn't have it any other way.

User Info Menu

My combo is an L6-S with a Princeton Reverb II. I have never had to buy a pedal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    My combo is an L6-S with a Princeton Reverb II. I have never had to buy a pedal.
    Slightly ot - When the L6S ads first hit the pages of Guitar Player back in the day, Mrs. k was of the opinion I should have one. I, chivalrous lad that I am, concurred. Unfortunately, I only ever encountered two of them in the wild. The first one was painted in a very off-putting shade of brown; and the second was being purchased by a co-worker (I set it up for him). I think the L6-S is a great design!

User Info Menu

I found that I could get confused by the electronics.

For example, at one point, I used a Boogie Mark III through a Yamaha FX box with an L5S and a volume pedal. The L5S was rewired -- Master volume, master tone and individual volumes.

Let's count up the volume controls. Three on the guitar, the volume pedal, the output level of the Yamaha (and I won't count volume settings within the patches) and three volume controls on the Boogie. That's eight. And, the Boogie's volume was also sensitive to EQ settings.

I could forget how things were set, or move a control by accident, and then then twirl everything to try to get back to the beginning.

So, eventually, I settled on my current rig. Guitar volumes are always full up. Neck pickup only. I do use the tone knob. I always have my foot on the ME80 pedalboard volume and I set the amp at the beginning of the gig for the loudest I'll need and rarely touch it. The pedal board has 4 preset sounds and I mostly use two, clean and lead.

User Info Menu

Roger is on the money, here. Set the amp volume at the level corresponding to the loudest sound you will need at the gig. Adjust your guitar volume/volume pedal back accordingly and work from there.

In an earlier post, Roger mentioned paying careful attention to your pick and pick angle. Amen. If you want a clinic on this, watch/listen to virtually any of Roger's (rpguitar) YouTube videos. He gets fantastic tones from his archtops--particularly the fully acoustic ones--by use of his deliberate pick technique.

He should give picking lessons!