The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 56

User Info Menu

Check out Tim on this Manzer. Nice pics of the guitar at the end. Tim's playing is haunting, as usual, but listen to the Manzer through a Princeton Reverb...but beautiful.
    Last edited by Greentone; 09-26-2019 at 10:26 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

For the asking price, not really impressed... Sorry!

User Info Menu

How much do they want?

User Info Menu

Her guitars are usually in the +$16K USD range, I believe.

User Info Menu

Personally, I like his Teles better - especially for the $$$ involved. He plays great on anything but that guitar just doesn't do anything for me......sorry.

User Info Menu

I'll bet that is a really nice guitar in hand! Sounds very fine and even in response. A very classy tone, and a very classy player!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Her guitars are usually in the +$16K USD range, I believe.
    No...about double that...

User Info Menu

Why can’t simply celebrate a wonderful player getting an a new instrument that inspires him?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7
    No...about double that...
    Well, double that is in the still in the +$16K range

User Info Menu

Too expensive and not a good buy unless money is not an object. Makes great guitars just not worth that to me and many others.

User Info Menu

At least I understand how Linda Manzer can command premium prices for her guitars. With the clientel notoriety she has,as well as the limited supply available.

But a luthier who charges that kind of money either for a bolt on guitar or even an archtop, I have an issue with. Especially if they don't have a backlog of orders nor clientele credentials.

User Info Menu

Well whatever the price, it seems to be a sweet match with Tim Lerch's priceless hands.

User Info Menu

Many factors at play with the price. It's made in Canada for one. Ever done business there? I have. Many things are more expensive. Somebody has to pay for all those social programs.

That said,
    Comparing a master built, hand-carved, acoustic archtop, with a machine made, bolt on neck, cheap labor, pinewood derby Fender, is an apples to oranges comparison, to put it kindly.

One might as well compare a Guitar Center electronic keyboard "special", with a Steinway Grand, or perhaps a Ford Fiesta with a Bugatti La Voiture Noire.
    Last edited by Jazzstdnt; 09-28-2019 at 10:54 AM.

User Info Menu

Side question, is the amp a reissue?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vashondan
    Side question, is the amp a reissue?
    I believe that it is...

User Info Menu

If I had bought that guitar and amp as a kid and played only them for my life, I would have saved a bucket of money. That's the economics of it from my perspective.

But the chances are about 100% that I'd be unfaithful and on the prowl for another instrument and amp for no defensible reason.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Too expensive and not a good buy unless money is not an object. Makes great guitars just not worth that to me and many others.
    Is ANY guitar over, say $3000, a "good buy"?

User Info Menu

I got my Jim Hall Sadowsky for $3,400.00 Seemed like a good deal to me...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Tim is a fine player and I wish him the best with his Manzer Guitar - thanks for posting Greentone.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Tim is a fine player and I wish him the best with his Manzer Guitar - thanks for posting Greentone.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
    +100! And a cool guy, too -- I met him at NAMM a few years back!

User Info Menu

I was responding to "Too expensive and not a good buy unless money is not an object" in which a "good buy" seemed to be equated with not spending too much on an instrument, not a "good deal" (which would mean that buying a $30K guitar for $20K would be a good buy. )

At some point (I used $3K), there is rapidly diminishing return vis a vis sound and feel and you are buying a name, you are buying special woods, you are buying craftsmanship, you are (possibly) buying an investment piece.

But this is beating a dead horse and I was probably just being pedantic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zdub

At some point (I used $3K), there is rapidly diminishing return vis a vis sound and feel and you are buying a name, you are buying special woods, you are buying craftsmanship, you are (possibly) buying an investment piece.

Yes that's true with a lot of crafted and manufactured things. For fine archtops that "have it all" (world class playability and sound - but also build quality, materials, prospects for long life) I would put it at about $21K.

User Info Menu

Well aside from vintage Fenders commanding o er $10K prices.There are a couple of bespoke luthier like Stefan D'Pergo which asking prices for new are as $17k
    And again this a bolt on guitar, with alder,swamp ash,maple, etc. OUCH!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    At least I understand how Linda Manzer can command premium prices for her guitars. With the clientel notoriety she has,as well as the limited supply available.

But a luthier who charges that kind of money either for a bolt on guitar or even an archtop, I have an issue with. Especially if they don't have a backlog of orders nor clientele credentials.
    I once asked her about building me a guitar. She had a waiting list to get on her waiting list. Seriously.