The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 56

User Info Menu

And I think the guitar sounds fantastic. I've known Tim for years and I think that's one of the best sounds I've ever heard form him.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

well, we all have a different notion what a "good" , "great" "beautiful" sound is so let's leave that discussion behind please. Maybe Tim won the lottery, inherited a bunch from a distant aunt, who knows and why care !? When he decides to invest X amount in a guitar then who are we to criticize his actions ? He is a pro musician who works in a field where one does NOT usually earn buckets full of money , either by selling CD's (that's over anyway) or playing gigs and one can only teach so many students per week so I have a rough idea what a guy like him has to his disposal after paying for the usual stuff like all of us. He certainly thought long and hard about this purchase.
    Now, do we like the tone he gets in that clip ? I personally like his Tele stuff better - the Ted Greene-like sustaining chord solos - and the tones of his other hollowbodies - single line Swing/Bop - is excellent also. This sounds different and IMHO does not compliment his best playing - when Julian Lage plays his Manzer (same model it seems) which he's had for at least 15 years then I find that it fits better with the type of music he plays.

User Info Menu

I thought it sounded very nice, very acoustic.

It doesn't sound like a 17 or 18 inch though. Really only one way to get that...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    And I think the guitar sounds fantastic. I've known Tim for years and I think that's one of the best sounds I've ever heard form him.
    Totally agree with Jim. I thought the guitar sounds indeed fantastic... as does Tim- as usual.

User Info Menu

Tim Lerch plays the Manzer Honey like he has got some deep soulful connection with it. If the guitar were a woman he would be caressing a lover, a soulmate. I don't know Tim but I have followed his videos. That expression when he plays the Honey is on another plane.

Great sounding, too.

User Info Menu

I am curious what strings are on the guitar - there is a particular aspect of the tone that seems string related - any ideas?

Will

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WillMbCdn5
    I am curious what strings are on the guitar - there is a particular aspect of the tone that seems string related - any ideas?

Will
    I believe Linda put on D’Addario .012”-.052” nickel wound electrics at the show.

User Info Menu

Hey guys, I just stumbled upon this thread, thanks to all who commented. (even the snarky ones) the above video is "Honey" recorded with just a mic on the amp (no acoustic sound in the mix)
    This video has a 50/50 blend of the acoustic sound along with the amp. The strings are D'Addario 12-52 roundwound EJ21

I hope you enjoy hearing this beautiful guitar.

all the best
    Tim

User Info Menu

Just gorgeous Tim. I love that I could hear you breath in this one. The whole recording just has a wonderful authenticity to it. Very human in the best possible way. Congratulations.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TLerch

all the best
    Tim
    I sure do. So musical!

User Info Menu

So, wonderful, Tim. It sounds so good in your hands.

User Info Menu

Timmy that is really nice and great sound with only sound. Not any thing but beautiful playing nice touch! A great player and a great guitar go a long way.

User Info Menu

Is that a laminated or carved guitar?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Is that a laminated or carved guitar?
    carved...

User Info Menu

Tim, how much did the Manzer set you back, if you don't mind me asking?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

User Info Menu

Congratulations, it’s a thing of beauty to my eyes and ears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I once asked her about building me a guitar. She had a waiting list to get on her waiting list. Seriously.
    Hi All,
    Just to clarify my wait list is about one year and right now I’m building between 4 or 6 archtop guitars a year. Each one is hand made from scratch and takes between 300-400 hours. It’s a tremendous amount of work. Plus some of the woods I’m using I’ve owned and been aging for over 40 years. So yes these instruments are expensive. But I pour my heart and soul into each one. And I love what I get to do each day. Tim’s guitar is a one piece back and the body has my “wedge” design so the body is slimmer under your arm and wider on the knee. This helps with ergonomics of the right arm. The Charlie Christian PU was custom made by Lollar. I loved how it sounded. And yes Tim is a wonderful guy and his soulful playing reflects that. It was a wonderful experience to work with him.

User Info Menu

Tim and Linda,

Thanks for weighing in on this thread. Again, I think this guitar sounds simply superb.

FWIW, the price of a custom-made archtop of this caliber seems appropriate. As was pointed out, aged wood and 300-400 hours of labor. Wowsers!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TLerch
    Hey guys, I just stumbled upon this thread, thanks to all who commented. (even the snarky ones) the above video is "Honey" recorded with just a mic on the amp (no acoustic sound in the mix)
    This video has a 50/50 blend of the acoustic sound along with the amp. The strings are D'Addario 12-52 roundwound EJ21

all the best
    Tim
    Fantastic stuff Tim.

Honestly hadn’t heard of you before this thread but it’s been a great pleasure catching up on some of your playing via YouTube etc.

I am familiar with Linda as I had the lovely opportunity to try one of her guitars owned by a friend, and am also familiar with some of the instruments being used by particular guitarists I enjoy.

I’m looking forward to your TrueFire course which I preordered the other day.

User Info Menu

I would love to state some well deserved praise for Jason Lollar and his CC pups. It seems like he never gets many accolades, but those pick ups are GREAT!

I got rid of, sold, many of of my guitars, and most of my jazz guitars.

my two remaining main six string electric guitars are small semi hollows (ES 339 and 14” Victor Baker), Both of which have the stock Jason Lollar CC in the humbucking route.

OMG, those CC Lollar pick ups in a semi hollow guitar sound absolutely perfect for Jazz.

as always, Tim is one of the most sublime players on the scene and a classy guy at that . Congratulations on the guitar!!! It sounds great!

User Info Menu

You can fit a Lollar CC in a standard HB mount?

Congrats Tim on the new guitar!

And how nice is it to have Ms. M in the conversation?

And then there’s the guy with Wes’ L5.

Pretty good day in the neighbourhood.

User Info Menu

Lollar (and others) offers a CC style pickup sized to fit in a standard humbucker mount. I have one from Pete Biltoft (Vintage Vibe) that I like a lot.

User Info Menu

Just wanted to say that 400 hours labor in the wood-shop I manage will cost you $34,000, and it won't get you anything as nice as this. I mean.... we make some top-end cabinetry and all, but this is just way beyond.

Great thread, and a very nice day in the neighborhood indeed!

User Info Menu

Tim, lovely playing on a beautiful instrument, resulting in a great sound and wonderful music. I hope you enjoy your lovely guitar for many years to come.

User Info Menu

Amen, his tele tone is so much better, but until I hear it in the same room, it's only conjecture based on the recording I heard