The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 68 of 68

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    This amp checked alot boxes for me a number of years ago. However, it blew up and fried the speaker. I paid to have it fixed and sold it. Chip and new speaker. I didnt know at the time the speaker is a Jensen Neodymium, 2 ohms.
    So I am I crazy to look to it again? Is this a potential abusive relationship? Is this a desperate cry for help?
    if you love the amp but want more reliability
    maybe run it with a good 4 ohm speaker ...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Greentone,
    One of the suggestions to avoid some of the issues with the amp is to change the amp's speaker to 4ohms. I have seen the Jenson speaker 4ohm version still available recently. Is this a heat related remedy or reduced stress on the circuitry kind of thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    The Fender Jazz UL was a pretty cool amp and idea. You were really locked into that cabinet, however. 2-ohms! Seriously!

Great amp, though. Sounded really nice for what it was intended for.

User Info Menu

Good point. When mine failed there was zap type noise. When the tech repaired it there is a particular chip that was replaced. Also as mentioned the speaker fried. With Richie it was the power supply. Perhaps the two are related?

User Info Menu

Spook410,
    I had no knowledge of this Fender amp until now. But I am going to take a hard look at it. I find it very interesting. Cosmectially looks like the Fender Deluxe Reverb or a Fender Twin. But is a solid state modeling amp with 1 an 2 Neodymium speakers. And it weights 23 pounds and the Twin 33 pounds!

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Wouldn't the new Tone Master Deluxe check the same boxes?
    Last edited by Wildcat; 09-26-2019 at 09:51 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    Spook410,
    I had no knowledge of this Fender amp until now. But I am going to take a hard look at it. I find it very interesting. Cosmectially looks like the Fender Deluxe Reverb or a Fender Twin. But is a solid state modeling amp with 1 an 2 Neodymium speakers. And it weights 23 pounds and the Twin 33 pounds!
    Wildcat, if you have a Guitar Center nearby, they may have the Tone Master Deluxe Reverb in stock and on display -- often right next to a tube version of the DR. for comparison purposes. I bought mine last week and I'm very happy with it. For a smoother jazz tone, I set the volume to 5 and tone and bass each to 4. I then adjust the overall volume by using the attenuator switch in the back, setting it to 0.5 or 1watt for home use and 12 watts for gigs. Plenty of headroom at the 12 watt setting but if I need more, I can still set the amp at "full" 22 watts.

The amp doesn't sound exactly like a tube amp, but it's close enough for me. And I bought it for the practical purposes of light weight, reliability, power attenuation and effective line out. This is a moderate to large volume gigging amp for me, and for that purpose it meets all the marks marvelously.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by archtopeddy
    Wildcat, if you have a Guitar Center nearby, they may have the Tone Master Deluxe Reverb in stock and on display -- often right next to a tube version of the DR. for comparison purposes. I bought mine last week and I'm very happy with it. For a smoother jazz tone, I set the volume to 5 and tone and bass each to 4. I then adjust the overall volume by using the attenuator switch in the back, setting it to 0.5 or 1watt for home use and 12 watts for gigs. Plenty of headroom at the 12 watt setting but if I need more, I can still set the amp at "full" 22 watts.

The amp doesn't sound exactly like a tube amp, but it's close enough for me. And I bought it for the practical purposes of light weight, reliability, power attenuation and effective line out. This is a moderate to large volume gigging amp for me, and for that purpose it meets all the marks marvelously.
    I've got two JMUL's and a Tone Master Twin, the JMUL easily competes with the Tone Master on tone and volume, my jam mates all run Tube stacks and take the Mickey out of my tiny stack but they all agree that the tone is killer, I only have to run it at half volume to cut the mix with a drummer that is akin to the Gorilla in the Cadbury's advert. It takes pedals and multi effect units well, I use a Helix FX on occasions for simplicity and ease of lugging it all. I love the Tone Master but at 3 times the cost of a complete good used condition JMUL, if I could find enough of them I'd buy the JMULs all day long.What Happened to All the Lust for the Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight?-20191116_163705-jpg

User Info Menu

Chrisg333,
    I agree with your assement. The JMUL has that "tone". I think it was way ahead of its time.
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisg333
    I've got two JMUL's and a Tone Master Twin, the JMUL easily competes with the Tone Master on tone and volume, my jam mates all run Tube stacks and take the Mickey out of my tiny stack but they all agree that the tone is killer, I only have to run it at half volume to cut the mix with a drummer that is akin to the Gorilla in the Cadbury's advert. It takes pedals and multi effect units well, I use a Helix FX on occasions for simplicity and ease of lugging it all. I love the Tone Master but at 3 times the cost of a complete good used condition JMUL, if I could find enough of them I'd buy the JMULs all day long.What Happened to All the Lust for the Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight?-20191116_163705-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Uffe Steen
    I´ve been using my 2 JMUL amps since 2007. 3,4 kg. Never failed me. Guess I was lucky so far.
    It has 2 switchable channels, clean and gain with independent Eq + Reverb and delay which I need as a no-pedal player.

Im considering a Quilter 202 as a backup as it weighs only 2 kg.
    I still need to try it out.
    The DV or the Blu amp 1 top didn´t do it for me soundwise
    Great playing at your Youtube site! Cool how to see how your style evolved around "upside down" guitar technique...this video was a cool example
    (so is the Confirmation one I checked out)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    Great playing at your Youtube site! Cool how to see how your style evolved around "upside down" guitar technique...this video was a cool example
    (so is the Confirmation one I checked out)
    Thanks a lot CoolVinny
    Im sorry I didnt see your post before now.
    I can say that new things in my playing styles still happens .
    I still use my JMUL on many many gigs since then and still works like a charm.
    I wish you a happy holiday and the best New Year
    Uffe

User Info Menu

what happened is that it was discontinued and evolution marched on.

User Info Menu

I will start off by saying that all of my interactions on this site have been positive until now.
    I put up a post looking for a Speaker Cabinet for my FJUL. Someone contacted me saying that they had one for sale.
    I sent him the money through PayPal. He insisted that I not send through the purchases portal but send it through the Friends and Family portal.

Against my better judgement, I did as requested.

The speaker was never shipped. After spending countless hours on the phone with PayPal and the bank it looks like I am out $280 USD.

I am writing this because I wanted others to be aware of the fact that although 99% of the folks on this site are guitarists supporting other guitarists and that the Administrators have done an excellent job of keeping things positive. There is that 1% that is lurking and scheming to take advantage of you.

If you are approached by Mason Tomei (if that is his real name) a.k.a softjazz. Please do not interact in any monetary exchanges with him. He is that 1%.

I am foolishly naive and positive but I am hoping that Mason (soft jazz) Tomei either send me my money back or sends me the speaker and I will have to delete this post and apologize.

Worse case scenario, I'm out $280 and I have learned my lesson.

User Info Menu

Sympathies, that was not small potatoes. You must have done a Google search and found a person by that name, photos and all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Sympathies, that was not small potatoes. You must have done a Google search and found a person by that name, photos and all.
    Unfortunately, I did not do that.
    My naive and trusting nature prevented me from thinking this would happen to me here.

User Info Menu

Well, he's there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Well, he's there.
    Thanks. Now I know

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    what happened is that it was discontinued and evolution marched on.
    Ha, ha! It is great to see you posting here and there, Jack. And these days, it kind of comes as a pleasant surprise. You and yours have a great, great 2023!

User Info Menu

As with all lust " Slam Bam Thank You ma'am"

User Info Menu

Hi
    I bought a FJUL Head without the speaker.
    After some research I bought a simple 12" Case and a Celestions Copperback Neo (250 W, 4 Ohm).
    That works & sounds just fine and ist still lightweight.
    Greez, Rainer