The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 82

User Info Menu

Two D'As, a bunch of Gibsons- both amps and guitars, and tons of rock gear.
    Press Releases

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

After the first 500 pages of the catalog, I'm starting to think he was a "serious" collector. I'm surprised at how many "replica" guitars and amps, in addition to the pristine originals.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Wasn't it WB who coined the term "Gear Acquisition Syndrome" (GAS)? I believe that the first time I heard it was in a Steely Dan interview.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    Wasn't it WB who coined the term "Gear Acquisition Syndrome" (GAS)? I believe that the first time I heard it was in a Steely Dan interview.
    Yes he did.
    Here's an academic bit of research based on the idea.

‘Gear Acquisition Syndrome’ – A Survey of Electric Guitar Players | SpringerLink

User Info Menu

So that is where all the amps went.

Here is Becker's GAS article for Guitar Player.

User Info Menu

In general I hate to see these auctions and guitars. It really makes them nothing but material items bought and sold like antiques roadshow mentality.

Wes picked an L5 because he had something to say. Johnny Smith was looking for elegance and was loyal to John D. Joe Pass and his trusty 175 he needed little else to draw attention to great sounds.

Gosh it is Sunday the deacon is preaching.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    In general I hate to see these auctions and guitars. It really makes them nothing but material items bought and sold like antiques roadshow mentality.

Wes picked an L5 because he had something to say. Johnny Smith was looking for elegance and was loyal to John D. Joe Pass and his trusty 175 he needed little else to draw attention to great sounds.

Gosh it is Sunday the deacon is preaching.....
    While some of this stuff will undoubtedly wind up hoarded by collectors with no real musical motivation, I'm sure some of it will wind up in the hands of musicians who will be inspired by having something that their hero touched, played, loved.

I found it interesting that celebrity ownership did not raise the price on many of these items. OTOH, stage-played or featured on a recording (with provenance of same) is worth more to some, and should be.

User Info Menu

The catalogue is proof that you can't take it with you.

User Info Menu

As much as I appreciate Walter Becker' s writing contributions to Steely Dan. He was an average guitarist really taking space away from their other guitarist. I totally get that it was his band along with Donald Fagan, but please let Drew Zing, or Jon Herrington play the solo.

User Info Menu

Agreed. We saw Jon Herington with Steely Dan last Saturday night in Santa Rosa and wow, was he terrific! As was, of course, the entire band. Donald Fagen did, however, apologize that Walter Becker "couldn't be here tonight."

User Info Menu

He had all that kit, and yet they still had to bring in session men to do the solos.

User Info Menu

Simply unbelievable...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    As much as I appreciate Walter Becker' s writing contributions to Steely Dan. He was an average guitarist really taking space away from their other guitarist. I totally get that it was his band along with Donald Fagan, but please let Drew Zing, or Jon Herrington play the solo.
    Yeah, and what is that Fagen doing singing?? Why didn’t they get a real singer instead, yesh...

WB had the worst case of GAS in the history of mankind. I guess it was better than shooting junk.
    I'd like to buy that Sadowsky he played on the "Plush Jazz-Rock Party" video they made, and set fire to it, so I'd never have to hear it again. I couldn't stand the sound he got out of that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    What writing contributions? On the day WB died, DF said he'd give his finished songs to WB, and he said WB would at most change one little, tiny thing on them.
    I think his contributions were mainly at the board in the studio, and on bass on some tunes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    What writing contributions? On the day WB died, DF said he'd give his finished songs to WB, and he said WB would at most change one little, tiny thing on them.
    I think his contributions were mainly at the board in the studio, and on bass on some tunes.
    Curious, got a link to that interview?

This article quotes Fagen on the subject as follows

“I usually come up with germinal musical idea, and then we will arrange to meet,” says Fagen. “Usually one or both of us won’t show up, but I think we generally come to make something out of it. So it is really a collaboration. Its not one of us writing the music, the other lyrics. And its not like Lennon and McCartney, who as I understand it usually just wrote a song by themselves and then put both their names on it. It is a collaboration: we think very much the same musically. I can start songs and Walter can finish them. He’s a very good editor also. He’ll suggest improvements on my original idea, and then we’ll work on lyrics together.”

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    Curious, got a link to that interview?

This article quotes Fagen on the subject as follows

“I usually come up with germinal musical idea, and then we will arrange to meet,” says Fagen. “Usually one or both of us won’t show up, but I think we generally come to make something out of it. So it is really a collaboration. Its not one of us writing the music, the other lyrics. And its not like Lennon and McCartney, who as I understand it usually just wrote a song by themselves and then put both their names on it. It is a collaboration: we think very much the same musically. I can start songs and Walter can finish them. He’s a very good editor also. He’ll suggest improvements on my original idea, and then we’ll work on lyrics together.”
    That was from 1977, and I think df was just being nice to his closest friend. I heard the interview on the radio, but I'm sure it's available if you search for DF's comments on his friend's passing.
    Becker's solo albums are pretty sad, songwriting-wise.

User Info Menu

I have 14 guitars and 6 amps. At times I think that I am hoarding. Reading the catalogue for this auction shows me what a real hoarders collection looks like.

User Info Menu

Walter was one of my all time favorite rock guitarists. Sure they hired some great players to track some legendary solos, that was part of their genius, just like Miles.

Here is exhibit A and B to make my case for Walter as a great player. These solos are him playing some mighty tasty stuff......how can anyone say he was average?

The outro is one of my all time favorite rock solos....

User Info Menu

Between Black Friday, Josie, Bad Sneakers, Pretzel Logic, Cousin Dupree, Jack of Speed, etc Becker showed he could play and hold his own. It's true though, that in latter years he regressed to noodling all over the songs. His solo albums also showed that he could write well.

That collection is not the sign of a person in a happy place I think

User Info Menu

So much stuff.. where did he keep all this??

User Info Menu

Becker was a collector who liked nice toys and could afford to indulge himself.
    Nothing wrong with that IMO. He bought what he liked and supported various independent builders.
    I also think he was a fine guitar player with an original voice.
    I'll be bidding on a few items for my own collection.

User Info Menu

A lot of smack talk about Becker.
    Becker wasn't Larry Carlton but he could play well enough. The guitar and bass on "FM" is all Walter.
    And why would Fagan lie about Becker's contributions and keep him around for 45 years if he was dead weight? Fagan isn't exactly known as a person with a lot of forbearance.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Walter was one of my all time favorite rock guitarists. Sure they hired some great players to track some legendary solos, that was part of their genius, just like Miles.

Here is exhibit A and B to make my case for Walter as a great player. These solos are him playing some mighty tasty stuff......how can anyone say he was average?
    Two great choices! Always loved the guitar on "Black Friday." Becker's great on "Josie" too.