The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I rarely see the GHS precision flats mentioned here and sometimes wonder why.

(Is it the distribution or do a lot of players here just don't like them)

Just curious as to who has tried them. I have used the 12 - 50 900 set in the past, and may give them another try.

PRECISION FLATS™ - GHS Strings

Danielle

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The GHS factory is about 30 minutes' drive from Kalamazoo. That largely explains the relationship in the past with Gibson and more recently with Heritage. "Balanced sets" with similar weight tensions on each string in a set was developed by collaboration between Gibson and GHS.

I find the GHS flatwounds to be very good basic flatwounds. They are stainless steel and don't seem as silky smooth as some other flatwounds. They are affordable though and are decent.

User Info Menu

I've never had a problem with any GHS strings. I especially like the Brite Flats. I am confident the Precision Flats are excellent strings.

User Info Menu

I've used them for a number of years now. For inexpensive flats they are good sounding and reliable. I like them much better than Chromes.

User Info Menu

......I'd love to try them but for the plain thirds.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    ......I'd love to try them but for the plain thirds.

Only the lightest set with 9 on top has a plain 3rd string. The other sets have an "F" flatwound 3rd string.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    Only the lightest set with 9 on top has a plain 3rd string. The other sets have an "F" flatwound 3rd string.

Oops.....Sorry....I saw that question posed and incorrectly answered on MF...Then went to Just Strings and yes the thirds are wound.....
    ..Just curious - -what does ' " F" flatwound ' mean ?

Sorry and thx for the correction.

May very well have to give them a try !

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    Oops.....Sorry....I saw that question posed and incorrectly answered on MF...Then went to Just Strings and yes the thirds are wound.....
    ..Just curious - -what does ' " F" flatwound ' mean ?

Sorry and thx for the correction.

May very well have to give them a try !
    In the GHS string table they preceed the gauge with the letter "F" to indicate the string is a flatwound string.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    In the GHS string table they preceed the gauge with the letter "F" to indicate the string is a flatwound string.
    Well I'll be. Thanks again !