Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

My solution for adding an input jack to an archtop. I hate drilling new holes in old guitars so I designed and 3d-printed a mount that clips right on to the trapezoidal tailpiece. Not winning any beauty contests, but gets the job done and I can remove the pickup/jack (DeArmond FHC w/ "monkey-on-a-stick") when I need to.

Adding an input jack to an acoustic archtop, without drilling-screen-shot-2019-09-21-9-09-26-pm-png

Details:
    Archtop tailpiece mount for 1/4? input jacks | Panique Jazz Archtop tailpiece mount for 1/4? input jacks | Guitarist Vic Wong – Music and Projects

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

clever...good job..but wouldn't that be an output jack??

hah

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic View Post
    clever...good job..but wouldn't that be an output jack??

hah

cheers
    Yes, you're right, sorry! Hopefully I didn't cause any blown-up guitars

User Info Menu

Why isn't an input "jack" called a Jill? Then again why isn't a plug called a Jack?
    Regards,

Gary

User Info Menu

Does the printer come with software to make the design?

Since you controls look to be shielded, you can also get a shielded output jack from Switchcraft that would also cover up your wire connections to the jack.

Adding an input jack to an acoustic archtop, without drilling-switchcraft-shielded-jack-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI View Post
    Why isn't an input "jack" called a Jill? Then again why isn't a plug called a Jack?
    The man who invented a way of switching telephone calls via a 'Jack Knife Switch' had his terminology copied to other forms of connection - I'd assumed it was a 'gender' thing as well...although - why is a jack knife so called? this could run and run...

Why Do We Call It a Telephone 'Jack'? - The Atlantic

User Info Menu

I've just got an 1941 Gibson L-4 and want to electrify it. The seller had an original monkey stick from the old days (50s?) and bought a DeArmond Rhythm Chief 1000 reissue. I am thinking of having thumbwheels for volume and tone control, but do not have a solution for output jack. Like you, I don't want to drill holes in an old guitar.

I think your idea looks acceptable and would be interested in buying one. Do you have one spare to sell?

Regards,
    Trond

User Info Menu

Nice one vdub!! I checked your site. If you haven't already you should make a post about your Quilter/projector-speaker hybrid. There's several folks here who'd be interested. There's been a few posts about Quilters made into combo amps in older speaker cabs. Love the grill on yours.

(I'm a recent Quilter convert, enjoying ToneBlock 202 in Dock12, and Aviator8 before that)

User Info Menu

Great job!

I would just point out another no-drill alternative. The Tapastring vintage endpin jack—fits in with friction, no drilling. I used one on my Harmony Brilliant Cutaway, along with Schatten thumbwheel controls and an RC 1000 RI.

Tapastring Guitar Care Products | The "Vintage Jack" | End Pin Jack No Drilling Required

It’s very robust, and I have no concerns with the 1/8 plug—I use a 1/8 to 1/4” adapter and use a regular cord.
    “Without music, life would be a mistake”--Friedrich Nietzsche

Current lineup: Gibson ES-135 ('02), Peerless Sunset, Harmony Brilliant Cutaway ('64), Godin 5th Avenue, Alvarez AC60 A/E classical, Kay K37 ('56), Fender Squier VM Jazz bass, several ukes. Amps: Fishman Artist, Fender SCXD, Pignose 7-100.

User Info Menu

Yet another no-drill alternative: Schatten jack mounted to tailpiece of my Stromberg — thanks Tony Duggan-Smith!

Adding an input jack to an acoustic archtop, without drilling-mvimg_20190922_171903-jpg

User Info Menu

If you have the hole for the endpin, you can add a regular endpin jack without drilling, just use a reamer to enlarge the existing hole.

User Info Menu

Ugh I'm going through the same problem right now with my fhc. I have the ten ft cord tied to the tailpiece. It looks stupid. Neat idea. Would you send the send the file. I could print it at my library or school.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI View Post
    I received my sex education from aeromodelling, not from ill-informed peers in locker room banter. Male parts and female parts and one day, it clicked. In the normative sexual mores of the times, one inserts the male part into the female part. A lightbulb moment in my pre-teen mind, ah ha, that is how babies are made.

Given the times, an input jack can be Jack. A plug on a strap can be a Jill or even Megan Rapinoe. There's room for everybody.

User Info Menu

I prefer this elegant solution by Shiro Tsuji. Wonderful guitar too.