The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

I have a Fender Blues Deluxe RI that I love for my blues playing, but I have been having trouble getting a jazz tone that I like.

After doing a lot of research I decided that maybe a speaker change to a Cannabis Rex would help. Well, it arrived today and within minutes after installation, I hit the tone I was looking for. I had found some EQ settings that made the amp with the stock people sound reasonably good, but it was still lacking something. After installing the CR, I just made very minor tweaks to those settings and I was in tone heaven. Plus it also sounds great with my Epi Sheritan II Pro for BB King blues tones, and my strat and Les Pauls for slightly overdriven blues tones. A really great and versatile speaker!

I would highly recommend for anyone considering upgrading their Fender speaker.

In the meantime I ordered a DV Mark Little Jazz that was on sale for $250 with 24 months 0% financing, so basically $10 a month. My BDRI now sounds so good that I was thinking of canceling the order, but I sometimes like to practice at night in my living room, and I can keep the LJ there rather than lugging the Fender up from the basement studio. Plus I can always return it to my local GC if I don't like the tone.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I had one installed to Fender Blues JR with the Bill mods.

User Info Menu

It's my all-time favorite. I'm a hemp speaker fan for life.

Might even put one in my Roland Blues Cube Artist... it doesn't need it, but...

User Info Menu

I put a CRex in an old Fender Musicmaster Bass amp with truly incredible results. Great speaker.

I was leaning towards a hemp speaker because my high end stereo system (all tube, of course) has Audio Note ANe speakers with Hemp cones and they sound spectacular.

User Info Menu

It's an excellent speaker to convert a Fender amp from "tele twang" to "dark jazz". It has the sweetst highs I've heard in a speaker.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    It's an excellent speaker to convert a Fender amp from "tele twang" to "dark jazz". It has the sweetst highs I've heard in a speaker.
    I agree. But it's not JUST jazz- Fenders are pretty bright amps to begin with; using the C-Rex allows me to open up the treble/presence controls much more so than I would be able to with the stock speakers. I'm a blues/rock guy.

If I sell the amp my C-Rex is in (a Fender Supersonic 22), the speaker stays with me. I have a Bad Cat Cub 40R on thew way.... at some point, I'm sure the C-Rex will find it's way into that amp as well LOL.
    Last edited by ruger9; 09-20-2019 at 02:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    I agree. But it's not JUST jazz- Fenders are pretty amp amps to begin with; using the C-Rex allows me to open up the treble/presence controls much more so than I would be able to with the stock speakers. I'm a blues/rock guy.
    Agreed. I use it on a tweed deluxe and now a PRRI and use both also cranked for other genres and it delivers well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

A C.Rex in a Peavey Classic 30 is a sonic seduction.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer
    I had one installed to Fender Blues JR with the Bill mods.
    Could you tell us what Bill mods are? Thanks.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer

Sounds like a mod that helps to shape the tone stack.

User Info Menu

There are two speakers that make Fender amps sound better: the Celestion G12-65 and the Eminence Cannabis Rex.

If I was Fender, I'd offer'em as a choice to be installed at the factory.

IME, the Cannabis Rex sounds "better" with the Hot Rod series and the G12-65 with the traditional models like the Twinreverb, De Luxe Reverb, etc.

YMMV.

User Info Menu

I have one under my bed that I have been meaning to put in my AC15. Mañana...mañana...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by P.J.
    I have one under my bed that I have been meaning to put in my AC15. Mañana...mañana...
    I’m really interested in hearing how a Vox would sound with it. I can hear a lot of examples of people putting British speakers in American amps but the opposite is less common.

User Info Menu

Does anyone use one with a Quilter 101R?

User Info Menu

I have one in my DRRI and love it.

User Info Menu

I just took delivery of a Bad Cat Cub III 40R, and Bad Cats come with a proprietary speaker made for them by Celestion, basically a tweaked V30. Most opinions are that the BC speaker and V30 are similar, but do not sound the same. Anyway, I plugged the Cub into my 1x12 cab with a C-Rex, and I like it better. Bad Cats can be bright, and the hemp cone C-Rex is excellent for rounding that off.

User Info Menu

I just ordered a couple of 10" CR speakers for my Vibrolux Reverb. I've never liked the sound that much, so maybe new speakers will help.

User Info Menu

My Fender PRRI from Sweetwater came with the 12" CR installed and I've loved it. Just adding my +1.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    Does anyone use one with a Quilter 101R?
    yes, I do - and the combo is fantastic. Have had this setup for a year now and have not use my tube amp since then - and I even have a very good tube amp. Maybe I should mention my CR is a 12".

User Info Menu

Well, I got the speakers, and installed them in the Vibrolux Reverb. The difference was rather dramatic. Much more focused treble, no boomy bass, and it's the first time I've liked the sound of that amp, bought used in the early '90s. So after playing through it for awhile, I started thinking that my Raezer's Edge Stealth 10ER might sound good with one of those. So being the inveterate tinkerer that I am, I took one out of the VR and replaced the standard Eminence Alpha in the RE with it, and put the Alpha in the VR along with the other CR speaker. I'm really liking all that. The RE sounds better, and I've turned the tweeter completely off. The VR also sounds better, with a little better bass response and a slightly warmer tone than with two CR speakers. Chords aren't muddy, the notes are all defined and clear, on both amps. I know that not everyone would like this setup, as tastes vary widely, but for now I'm very happy with the CR speakers.

BTW, as a sort of plug, my daughter is the pro sales rep at the NOLA Guitar Center, and can get you a pretty good deal on stuff. I won't post the number here, but you can PM me, or just look it up. Tell her that her dad sent you. She probably won't give you as good a deal as she does me, but not bad.