Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 43 of 43

User Info Menu

So today I got my Brute EQ, the "Polytone in a Pedal." I thought it would be fun to put it side by side with my Minibrute II (90's, Pre-Sonic Circuit) and see how they compare. Since the pedal is explicitly a pre-amp, I decided to play into an AB/Splitter box, sending one signal to the pedal, one to my MiniBrute. I took the pre-amp out from the MB2 and the output from the pedal directly into my A/D box. I set up the MB and Pedal as flat and basic as I could, adjusted until the input gain lights and levels seemed comparable on the box, and recorded it. It's the same old Jimmy Raney solo I've been using recently, except for the backing track I muted the rhythm guitar to help the guitar signals stand out.

Pedal is on the Left, MB2 preamp output on the Right. Remember it's the same playing with the signal split to each. You can switch between them all you want to compare the sound.

I'll tell you now, I'm impressed. I think the pedal and the MB2 are hard to distinguish at this point in the signal chain. This thing is a winner.

- Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wow, Lawson. You are right. The two signals sound _remarkably_ similar. The Brute EQ circuit has the Polytone preamp thing really going on.

There are a bunch of gigs where it's impractical for me to bring my amp. Having this preamp would be a big improvement for me over just going into the PA.

User Info Menu

Lawson, really glad to know you too enjoy this pedal!

User Info Menu

And if I put the Brute EQ through the DVMark micro 59 driving a 4 ohm speaker it’s down right tasty!

You guys who worked this project out have really accomplished something!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

Jorgemg1984,

Are you building the pedal?

User Info Menu

Lawson, you finally got one and you like it, perfect.
    I notice in the video intro the gain is set at noon, the “gain” control fully clockwise matches the pre to power amp output ( fixed resistor) on the 70-80’s Mb’s, i just made it variable for versatility in situations where players
    use it as “color boost?/ pre/ sweetener” into other gear/Amps etc.
    You can set it higher for more poly punch loveliness/warmth, if the unit you are plugged into starts clipping/distorting just back a little counterclockwise til you find the right balance.
    Have a great day.

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    And if I put the Brute EQ through the DVMark micro 59 driving a 4 ohm speaker it’s down right tasty!

You guys who worked this project out have really accomplished something!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone View Post
    Jorgemg1984,

Are you building the pedal?
    Hi, Greentone.

No, I just shared the idea. You can see it all here.

Polytone in a Pedal

Jazzmus is our official Polytone pedal maker!

User Info Menu

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzmus View Post
    Lawson, you finally got one and you like it, perfect.
    I notice in the video intro the gain is set at noon, the “gain” control fully clockwise matches the pre to power amp output ( fixed resistor) on the 70-80’s Mb’s, i just made it variable for versatility in situations where players
    use it as “color boost?/ pre/ sweetener” into other gear/Amps etc.
    You can set it higher for more poly punch loveliness/warmth, if the unit you are plugged into starts clipping/distorting just back a little counterclockwise til you find the right balance.
    Have a great day.
    Hey thank you so much for that tip. I bought it from another forum member and so didn't know much about its operation. I'll play around with it with the gain set all the way. I was thinking more of how tube amps work, you know? Set "gain" for the tone and Master Volume for the loudness.

I LOVE this pedal. Everybody who loves the Polytone sound should get one of these. I wish I had some "flat" amp around to use with it. The DVMark micro 50 is about the flattest I have. I might take it and a DI box to the auditorium of my school and just plug into the PA to see how it sounds.

You and the others who worked on this project deserve praise for this. You really did it.
    - Lawson

User Info Menu

You are welcome Lawson, thank you for your kind words and sharing.

Your perception is why im now labelling it “output”, on the original amp schematic its “ main summening”, its the final “gain” stage - it amplifies the signal output/output gain, in reality the volume control is passive and only determines how much signal is passing from the previous circuit block ( the eq) into the final stage.
    Another detail, the highpass filter is buffered and amplified ( to unity ) and works as a standalone even with the stompswitch disengaged, with the filter engaged but turned all the Way clockwise ( Sub guitars lowest frequency) you might experience a increase in fidelity nomatter cable quality/length.

Yes, try it thru a DI in the auditorium, or infront of you tube amps, try it as shaper into your princeton etc.

Hey thank you so much for that tip. I bought it from another forum member and so didn't know much about its operation. I'll play around with it with the gain set all the way. I was thinking more of how tube amps work, you know? Set "gain" for the tone and Master Volume for the loudness.

I LOVE this pedal. Everybody who loves the Polytone sound should get one of these. I wish I had some "flat" amp around to use with it. The DVMark micro 50 is about the flattest I have. I might take it and a DI box to the auditorium of my school and just plug into the PA to see how it sounds.

You and the others who worked on this project deserve praise for this. You really did it.

User Info Menu

Where is the red distortion knob

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175 View Post
    its right here with me, next to a bottle of Wine, your wife and your favourite guitar, we put it in the “ redundant posts” bin.

User Info Menu

its right here with me, next to a bottle of Wine, your wife and your favourite guitar, we put it in the “ redundant posts” bin.
    Really?

User Info Menu

haha this is like the old man version jr. high
    White belt
    My Youtube

User Info Menu

Really?
    no im sorry, its not your wife, its Chet Baker, he is telling me... it takes a pretty good contribution to be better than no contribution at all, he says you understand.

User Info Menu

no im sorry, its not your wife, its Chet Baker, he is telling me... it takes a pretty good contribution to be better than no contribution at all, he says you understand.
    Aww so sensitive about our little pedal aren't we. Cute.

User Info Menu

IMO, there is nothing cute about a guy who responds with meanness to a bit of sarcastic humor.

User Info Menu

You are welcome Lawson, thank you for your kind words and sharing.

Your perception is why im now labelling it “output”, on the original amp schematic its “ main summening”, its the final “gain” stage - it amplifies the signal output/output gain, in reality the volume control is passive and only determines how much signal is passing from the previous circuit block ( the eq) into the final stage.
    Another detail, the highpass filter is buffered and amplified ( to unity ) and works as a standalone even with the stompswitch disengaged, with the filter engaged but turned all the Way clockwise ( Sub guitars lowest frequency) you might experience a increase in fidelity nomatter cable quality/length.

Yes, try it thru a DI in the auditorium, or infront of you tube amps, try it as shaper into your princeton etc.
    This is really helpful information. I need to go back and re-read the earlier threads, maybe cull out some of the user details and drop them into a single document. Others might find that helpful too. I noticed the HPF did have an effect even when the pedal was disengaged. I figured there was a reason for that. It's a useful feature.

I was wondering about whether putting the pedal before the input, or using it through the effects return, would be best. Through the input, it's like a pre-amp pushing another pre-amp. Routing it into the effects return could with some amps bypass the amp's pre-amp and send the signal direct to the main power amp.... or have I got that confused?
    - Lawson

User Info Menu

Lawson, im just on a trip riding stringswingers bike with tals wife, ill find the link when i make it home - theres a seperate thread with all the info in the initial post, otherwise just ask, here, pm or whatever suits you.

Before input or fx loop, again try both, the gain control again is there to aid any clipping/signal overload adjustments, just plug in and start with the gain at a lower setting, maxed its got quite a output so turn it up gradually. There is no best way rule, trust your ears.

This is really helpful information. I need to go back and re-read the earlier threads, maybe cull out some of the user details and drop them into a single document. Others might find that helpful too. I noticed the HPF did have an effect even when the pedal was disengaged. I figured there was a reason for that. It's a useful feature.

I was wondering about whether putting the pedal before the input, or using it through the effects return, would be best. Through the input, it's like a pre-amp pushing another pre-amp. Routing it into the effects return could with some amps bypass the amp's pre-amp and send the signal direct to the main power amp.... or have I got that confused?

User Info Menu

Lawson, im just on a trip riding stringswingers bike with tals wife
    jorgemg1984, does your friend have a drinking problem?

User Info Menu

Hope not, he's riding a bike.

User Info Menu

Jazzmus, you are not funny, you are just a jackass. I would not buy a pedal from you and suggest anyone thinking of doing so read this thread before doing so.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984 View Post
    Hope not, he's riding a bike.
    He was drinking wine earlier.
    I'm worried about the little pedal maker because whenever I have a fight with my wife, she is in the habit of cheating on me with the most beta male she can find and slap him until she took out all her rage.
    Then I have to clean up the mess after.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 09-20-2019 at 06:14 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    Jazzmus, you are not funny, you are just a jackass. I would not buy a pedal from you and suggest anyone thinking of doing so read this thread before doing so.
    Thats perfectly fine. Im sure that anyone reading this thread or anything i ever posted, any reply i made about any subject on jgo will make up their own mind in regards to if/or not im a sensitive cute mean little pedalmaking jackass or im just being dead serious, take no bs despite it being lighthearted, i responded to sarcasm with sarcasm.
    The fact is, someone bought something i build, i collected already but i still care about it enough to want anyone whereever, whoever, whenever to make the most of it, so im trying to be helpfull, please believe me - no hidden agenda, i dont care or depend on selling this thing, i do it becuase people ask me, and i care about it becuase... its on me, even 2 years later 1st, 2nd or 3rd hand and it Will be so in another 5 years also.
    I read the sarcasm for sure i just dont think its funny, its just interruptive and pointless. I dont come here for a laugh.

User Info Menu

Thats perfectly fine. Im sure that anyone reading this thread or anything i ever posted, any reply i made about any subject on jgo will make up their own mind in regards to if/or not im a sensitive cute mean little pedalmaking jackass or im just being dead serious, take no bs despite it being lighthearted, i responded to sarcasm with sarcasm.
    The fact is, someone bought something i build, i collected already but i still care about it enough to want anyone whereever, whoever, whenever to make the most of it, so im trying to be helpfull, please believe me - no hidden agenda, i dont care or depend on selling this thing, i do it becuase people ask me, and i care about it becuase... its on me, even 2 years later 1st, 2nd or 3rd hand owner.
    I read the sarcasm for sure i just dont think its funny, its just interruptive and pointless. I dont come here for a laugh.
    Ok let's put this in perspective. All this reaction is because I said "Where is the red distortion knob (with a smiley face)" .
    My impression is that the red distortion knob is the the most disliked and avoided feature of polytones along with the sonic circuit. It wasn't even meant to be sarcastic. Just a silly joke. Of course there wouldn't be the red distortion knob on that pedal because who wants that.
    The joke could've been just as easily "where is the sonic circuit?". I guess that wouldn't have changed the outcome, because you're dead serious and take no bs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    The pedal is a good piece of gear. That's the point of the thread, gentlemen. The man provides a splendid product at a price that I think is reasonable. Whether we like someone's personal style or sense of humor is a different matter. The amount of work that went into developing this pedal, the expense and effort prototyping, listening endlessly to "Can't you add a..." or "Why not run it on batteries" or whatever, taking the risk to lay in a little stock of parts, build the things, and ship them out to buyers, who admittedly will likely be a small group... those things are for me a much better indicator of character, and of who I want to do business with, than any abrasiveness of personality or quirkiness of humor.

Why don't we all just breathe a moment and remember we are mature gentlemen who really don't want to form a circular firing squad?
    - Lawson

User Info Menu

Gotcha covered. It doesn't matter that it doesn't do anything because I never use it.

Gotta admit... the pedal looks classy but that red knob does mess up the aesthetic considerably.

Polytone Pedal With MiniBrute II-img_4589-jpg
    - Lawson

User Info Menu

The fact is, someone bought something i build, i collected already but i still care about it enough to want anyone whereever, whoever, whenever to make the most of it, so im trying to be helpfull, please believe me - no hidden agenda, i dont care or depend on selling this thing, i do it becuase people ask me, and i care about it becuase... its on me, even 2 years later 1st, 2nd or 3rd hand and it Will be so in another 5 years also.
    I would actually point out that you're extending support now not to only the original buyer, but to someone who bought the pedal from him! Lots of folks would not be interested in helping or advising or offering support to a non-original purchaser. That says something to me about the ethic of the builder. He cares about his work. I know lots of really "nice" people who are very kind and never harsh, never sarcastic, and can't do anything well and don't back up their work. Give me tough, talented, and committed.... any day of the week.
    - Lawson

User Info Menu

Gotcha covered. It doesn't matter that it doesn't do anything because I never use it.

Gotta admit... the pedal looks classy but that red knob does mess up the aesthetic considerably.
    You're playing with fire.

User Info Menu

Easy gentleman. I bought the pedal several years ago. Nothing but a wonderful experience and thankful for the chance.

The pedal is a good piece of gear. That's the point of the thread, gentlemen. The man provides a splendid product at a price that I think is reasonable. Whether we like someone's personal style or sense of humor is a different matter. The amount of work that went into developing this pedal, the expense and effort prototyping, listening endlessly to "Can't you add a..." or "Why not run it on batteries" or whatever, taking the risk to lay in a little stock of parts, build the things, and ship them out to buyers, who admittedly will likely be a small group... those things are for me a much better indicator of character, and of who I want to do business with, than any abrasiveness of personality or quirkiness of humor.

Why don't we all just breathe a moment and remember we are mature gentlemen who really don't want to form a circular firing squad?

User Info Menu

Look, i got and get it 100%, i come here less and less becuase to many threads are drenched and derailled by off topic commentary, today i just reacted by instinct and it was equally meant, as pointed out, the seniors highschool.
    I like wes Montgomery just as much as i like Kurt Rosenwinkel, wes threads could be “ i like Ben monder more”, Kurt threads “ i like a clean archtop Sound more”, L5 “ i like Victor bakers 15” semi more” etc etc. So no pun besides pushing sarcasm a little further was meant and at the same time honestly i think its exhausting that everyone always has something to say and its ok as long as you finish with a smiley.
    I hate archtops... i mean wtf?
    I had a great day no oppressed agression, no steam to let out, sincerely i just put it where i see it.
    I admit i dont do silly, not online amongst strangers.

Ok let's put this in perspective. All this reaction is because I said "Where is the red distortion knob (with a smiley face)" .
    My impression is that the red distortion knob is the the most disliked and avoided feature of polytones along with the sonic circuit. It wasn't even meant to be sarcastic. Just a silly joke. Of course there wouldn't be the red distortion knob on that pedal because who wants that.
    The joke could've been just as easily "where is the sonic circuit?". I guess that wouldn't have changed the outcome, because you're dead serious and take no bs.

User Info Menu

Anyone who's come to this far reading this thread will disagree with you on that point.

User Info Menu

Recently Jack Zucker remarked on why are people so contrary at times on these posting/threads? I agree. The OP is trying share the joy of finding something that others would really enjoy. Then the offhand comments that polarizes readers? A misundering at the comment. Then it escalates.
    I come to this site because of the level of interesting conversations of people that I would never meet in person if this site didn't exist. But not "talking" in person can lead to misunderstandings. No nonverbal communications without face to face conversation.

Look, i got and get it 100%, i come here less and less becuase to many threads are drenched and derailled by off topic commentary, today i just reacted by instinct and it was equally meant, as pointed out, the seniors highschool.
    I like wes Montgomery just as much as i like Kurt Rosenwinkel, wes threads could be “ i like Ben monder more”, Kurt threads “ i like a clean archtop Sound more”, L5 “ i like Victor bakers 15” semi more” etc etc. So no pun besides pushing sarcasm a little further was meant and at the same time honestly i think its exhausting that everyone always has something to say and its ok as long as you finish with a smiley.
    I had a great day no oppressed agression, no steam to let out, sincerely i just put it where i see it.

User Info Menu

Let it go.

Anyone who's come to this far reading this thread will disagree with you on this point.

User Info Menu

+1

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    Let it go.
    Wildcat don't take it upon yourself to assume a piecemaker role. We are all adults here. It's not needed.

User Info Menu

Understood.
    Wildcat don't take it upon yourself to assume a piecemaker role. We are all adults here. It's not needed.

User Info Menu

Tal
    You and I have had some great interactions on the forum. You're a solid guy.

I have to say I think jazzmus deserves a little consideration here. The whole Polytone-in-a-Pedal things started at least as far back as June of 2015. Some guys were looking at the innards of a Polytone and realized it wasn't a really complicated amp, but it had some particular aspects that were tricky. The idea of creating a pedal pre-amp kind of came up. I think someone had already done a lot of work on it, but set it aside, and Jorgemg1984 and jazzmus started talking seriously about the concept, getting the schematics together, figuring out components since most of the chips from the Polytone no longer were made. A lot of effort and tweaking happened. I think a lot of money got spent trying to make this work. And let's face it. On a best-case scenario, how many pedals does a guy think he'll sell? The market is pretty much this forum. And yet, the effort was undertaken. The money was spent, the time invested. Feedback happened. Revisions. Parts got ordered.

The result is that even though it is getting harder and harder to find a Polytone, thanks to jorgemg1984 and jazzmus, and whoever passed the torch to them, we can get the lion's share of that sound with this pedal. To me that makes these guys heroes in our circles.

So your little joke about the red knob was, I thought, actually funny. I chuckled, did my mock-up of it. But clearly jazzmus has a lot invested personally in this pedal and maybe didn't find it so funny. I can understand that too. They did this for their own curiosity but also, in a big way, for us. I want to respect that, and I want to see it respected.

We can sincerely regret that an interaction went sour, occasioned by something we said, without taking any blame. We can just say we never meant it to go that way, let's not let things get worse, let's turn a corner and show some character and grace, maybe more than we think we need to.

We're good people on this forum. We're better than this interaction makes us look. We have a designer, a builder, a customer, and a second-level customer (me), all around a product that we alone really know the value of. That's what I want to focus on.
    - Lawson

User Info Menu

Tal
    You and I have had some great interactions on the forum. You're a solid guy.

I have to say I think jazzmus deserves a little consideration here. The whole Polytone-in-a-Pedal things started at least as far back as June of 2015. Some guys were looking at the innards of a Polytone and realized it wasn't a really complicated amp, but it had some particular aspects that were tricky. The idea of creating a pedal pre-amp kind of came up. I think someone had already done a lot of work on it, but set it aside, and Jorgemg1984 and jazzmus started talking seriously about the concept, getting the schematics together, figuring out components since most of the chips from the Polytone no longer were made. A lot of effort and tweaking happened. I think a lot of money got spent trying to make this work. And let's face it. On a best-case scenario, how many pedals does a guy think he'll sell? The market is pretty much this forum. And yet, the effort was undertaken. The money was spent, the time invested. Feedback happened. Revisions. Parts got ordered.

The result is that even though it is getting harder and harder to find a Polytone, thanks to jorgemg1984 and jazzmus, and whoever passed the torch to them, we can get the lion's share of that sound with this pedal. To me that makes these guys heroes in our circles.

So your little joke about the red knob was, I thought, actually funny. I chuckled, did my mock-up of it. But clearly jazzmus has a lot invested personally in this pedal and maybe didn't find it so funny. I can understand that too. They did this for their own curiosity but also, in a big way, for us. I want to respect that, and I want to see it respected.

We can sincerely regret that an interaction went sour, occasioned by something we said, without taking any blame. We can just say we never meant it to go that way, let's not let things get worse, let's turn a corner and show some character and grace, maybe more than we think we need to.

We're good people on this forum. We're better than this interaction makes us look. We have a designer, a builder, a customer, and a second-level customer (me), all around a product that we alone really know the value of. That's what I want to focus on.
    Fair enough. Thanks Lawson.

User Info Menu

To get back on topic, and also to set the record straight, I haven't done any work or spent any money (or earned any, btw) with this "project". As it's explained on the original thread, a former forum member shared with me his project and I, after having a local guy build it and loving the sound, decided to share it to see if others were interested (with the mentioned author of the project permission). Later, jazzmus decided to do his version, and I believe he has invested not only money but especially precious time of his life for what I assume is not a spectaular ROI (correct me if I'm wrong). For me, personally, I'm just happy when I see peope using this pedal, and being not only happy with the sound, but also surprised at how close to and old Polytone it sounds. All gratitude should be directed to the original project doer and to jazzmus!

User Info Menu

Lawson (and anyone participating here) with autistic stubborness i will say again, my reaction was never based on taking it personally in regards to the pedal, imo it equals a reply like “ wheres the richlite” in a vintage Gibson NGD post, why would i do that?

A reply notification then coming here to read yet another “interruptive/off topic” reply in a otherwise serious forum thread like so many, well, it just sparked “ ive had it”.
    So thats its it.

Anyway, hopefully we can now
    continue on topic.

Again, thanks a lot for the support and kind words, it is much appreciated.

Edit: Lawson here is the post i mentioned regarding info -
    Polytone pre amp pedal+/Brute eq

Further, Lawson, if you are up for it and feeling adventurous, id be happy to safely guide you to disconnect your actual MB pre ( just plugs) and feed the poweramp/speaker with the brute eq signal, you just need two alligator clip leads/cables.
    Last edited by jazzmus; 09-20-2019 at 06:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Another satisfied user here. I never had a Polytone before, I'm a tube amp freak, but thrusting on Jorge (the "gear boss" I decide to give it a try.

The first good thing was the relationship with jazz muss, a lovely guy. The pedal is very solid, elegant and well designed and carefully constructed inside, no humming at all with the AC supply. The controls are very effective and subtle (except the gain, a wild horse if we don't trim enough).

I mainly use it to record with my DAW, broadening my tone choices on a more natural way, avoiding the constant plugin tweaking. I must confess that never tried to use it before the PRRI neither on the Henriksen but I'll try it on different signal path configurations where it seems to be very useful.

Thanks jazz's, Jorge and the people who persuade me on the threads about this project of turning real a great idea.

User Info Menu

I know Jazzmus via email and PM, and as far as I'm concerned he's a good guy, who has offered members something tangibly useful for not much profit. Maybe those forum regulars who have come down so heavily and quickly could bear in mind that Jazzmus, and many other members, are posting in a second language. It's no surprise if nuances and humour sometimes get lost in the mix.

I found the 'red knob' comment funny, too..