The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 82
    It can be customized but... i would advocate for a cabsim also. Combined preamp, DI (with phantom power protection and programmable cabsim would end up quite pricey. A analog cabsim might barely be accetaple but id have to test a bunch in this specific combination before being comfortable with others depending on it.

With that being said, i am already looking into pricing on small quantity programmable cab sim modules, but it wont happen, if it happens, until towards the end of this year.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Where can you buy these and how much are they approx (In Uk)

i have two MegaBrutes and the DV Mark Little Jazz, which is absolutely no where near the Polytone or my
    Orig 78 Roland Cube,

Little Jazz needs its, but they are good amps overall, someone on forum mentioned Little Jazz sounds like Polytone, not in your wildest dreams, it does not.

as i said Little Jazz is a good amp it is a very different sound, cleaner too. Not that is always good.

User Info Menu

jazzmus, do you have any plans to make a complete amp out of it? maybe collaborate with someone to integrate your preamps into a modern light and powerful combo?
    I bet it could raise quite an interest, especially if you keep the Polytone aesthetic combined with modern features mindset.

User Info Menu

So today I got my Brute EQ, the "Polytone in a Pedal." I thought it would be fun to put it side by side with my Minibrute II (90's, Pre-Sonic Circuit) and see how they compare. Since the pedal is explicitly a pre-amp, I decided to play into an AB/Splitter box, sending one signal to the pedal, one to my MiniBrute. I took the pre-amp out from the MB2 and the output from the pedal directly into my A/D box. I set up the MB and Pedal as flat and basic as I could, adjusted until the input gain lights and levels seemed comparable on the box, and recorded it. It's the same old Jimmy Raney solo I've been using recently, except for the backing track I muted the rhythm guitar to help the guitar signals stand out.

Pedal is on the Left, MB2 preamp output on the Right. Remember it's the same playing with the signal split to each. You can switch between them all you want to compare the sound.

I'll tell you now, I'm impressed. I think the pedal and the MB2 are hard to distinguish at this point in the signal chain. This thing is a winner.

User Info Menu

Wow, Lawson. You are right. The two signals sound _remarkably_ similar. The Brute EQ circuit has the Polytone preamp thing really going on.

There are a bunch of gigs where it's impractical for me to bring my amp. Having this preamp would be a big improvement for me over just going into the PA.

User Info Menu

And if I put the Brute EQ through the DVMark micro 59 driving a 4 ohm speaker it’s down right tasty!

You guys who worked this project out have really accomplished something!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawson, you finally got one and you like it, perfect.

I notice in the video intro the gain is set at noon, the “gain” control fully clockwise matches the pre to power amp output ( fixed resistor) on the 70-80’s Mb’s, i just made it variable for versatility in situations where players
    use it as “color boost?/ pre/ sweetener” into other gear/Amps etc.

You can set it higher for more poly punch loveliness/warmth, if the unit you are plugged into starts clipping/distorting just back a little counterclockwise til you find the right balance.

User Info Menu

Hey thank you so much for that tip. I bought it from another forum member and so didn't know much about its operation. I'll play around with it with the gain set all the way. I was thinking more of how tube amps work, you know? Set "gain" for the tone and Master Volume for the loudness.

I LOVE this pedal. Everybody who loves the Polytone sound should get one of these. I wish I had some "flat" amp around to use with it. The DVMark micro 50 is about the flattest I have. I might take it and a DI box to the auditorium of my school and just plug into the PA to see how it sounds.

You and the others who worked on this project deserve praise for this. You really did it.

You are welcome Lawson, thank you for your kind words and sharing.

Your perception is why im now labelling it “output”, on the original amp schematic its “ main summening”, its the final “gain” stage - it amplifies the signal output/output gain, in reality the volume control is passive and only determines how much signal is passing from the previous circuit block ( the eq) into the final stage.

Another detail, the highpass filter is buffered and amplified ( to unity ) and works as a standalone even with the stompswitch disengaged, with the filter engaged but turned all the Way clockwise ( Sub guitars lowest frequency) you might experience a increase in fidelity nomatter cable quality/length.

Yes, try it thru a DI in the auditorium, or infront of you tube amps, try it as shaper into your princeton etc.

User Info Menu

Where is the red distortion knob

User Info Menu

This is really helpful information. I need to go back and re-read the earlier threads, maybe cull out some of the user details and drop them into a single document. Others might find that helpful too. I noticed the HPF did have an effect even when the pedal was disengaged. I figured there was a reason for that. It's a useful feature.

I was wondering about whether putting the pedal before the input, or using it through the effects return, would be best. Through the input, it's like a pre-amp pushing another pre-amp. Routing it into the effects return could with some amps bypass the amp's pre-amp and send the signal direct to the main power amp.... or have I got that confused?

Before input or fx loop, again try both, the gain control again is there to aid any clipping/signal overload adjustments, just plug in and start with the gain at a lower setting, maxed its got quite a output so turn it up gradually. There is no best way rule, trust your ears.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Where is the red distortion knob
    Gotcha covered. It doesn't matter that it doesn't do anything because I never use it.

Gotta admit... the pedal looks classy but that red knob does mess up the aesthetic considerably.

Polytone Pre Amp Pedal - Brute EQ-img_4589-jpg

User Info Menu

The whole Polytone-in-a-Pedal things started at least as far back as June of 2015. Some guys were looking at the innards of a Polytone and realized it wasn't a really complicated amp, but it had some particular aspects that were tricky. The idea of creating a pedal pre-amp kind of came up. I think someone had already done a lot of work on it, but set it aside, and Jorgemg1984 and jazzmus started talking seriously about the concept, getting the schematics together, figuring out components since most of the chips from the Polytone no longer were made. A lot of effort and tweaking happened. I think a lot of money got spent trying to make this work. And let's face it. On a best-case scenario, how many pedals does a guy think he'll sell? The market is pretty much this forum. And yet, the effort was undertaken. The money was spent, the time invested. Feedback happened. Revisions. Parts got ordered.

The result is that even though it is getting harder and harder to find a Polytone, thanks to jorgemg1984 and jazzmus, and whoever passed the torch to them, we can get the lion's share of that sound with this pedal. To me that makes these guys heroes in our circles.

User Info Menu

To set the record straight, I haven't done any work or spent any money (or earned any, btw) with this "project". As it's explained on the original thread, a former forum member shared with me his project and I, after having a local guy build it and loving the sound, decided to share it to see if others were interested (with the mentioned author of the project permission). Later, jazzmus decided to do his version, and I believe he has invested not only money but especially precious time of his life for what I assume is not a spectaular ROI (correct me if I'm wrong). For me, personally, I'm just happy when I see peope using this pedal, and being not only happy with the sound, but also surprised at how close to and old Polytone it sounds. All gratitude should be directed to the original project doer and to jazzmus!

User Info Menu

Another satisfied user here. I never had a Polytone before, I'm a tube amp freak, but thrusting on Jorge (the "gear boss" I decide to give it a try.

The first good thing was the relationship with jazz muss, a lovely guy. The pedal is very solid, elegant and well designed and carefully constructed inside, no humming at all with the AC supply. The controls are very effective and subtle (except the gain, a wild horse if we don't trim enough).

I mainly use it to record with my DAW, broadening my tone choices on a more natural way, avoiding the constant plugin tweaking. I must confess that never tried to use it before the PRRI neither on the Henriksen but I'll try it on different signal path configurations where it seems to be very useful.

Thanks jazz's, Jorge and the people who persuade me on the threads about this project of turning real a great idea.

User Info Menu

I want to thank Rasmus (@jazzmus) for the excellent Brute EQ pedal. The sound, look, and build quality is outstanding.
    Ever since my Polytone 102D died a few years ago, I've been searching for that SOUND because nothing else came close. This is it.
    I have not yet found the ideal power amp package. Tonight, I ran it into the power amp in of my Rivera Fandango, open back tube amp.
    That doesn't have the tonal qualities of the Polytone's closed back environment so I'm still searching. I was looking at the Boss Katana but it's also open back. I am now seriously looking at a DV Mark Micro head for power (and to use for solid body rock/pop things; double duty) with one of my closed 1x12 cabinets.

In particular, the added MId control is very useful along with the High Pass Filter. Bravo, Rasmus!

Rasmus promptly sent the pedal after receiving payment, but the USPS decided to drop the ball when it got here. Apparently, it just sat....somewhere. I went to the post office to see what happened today, and the guy went away then came back to tell me the pedal was in Customs.....it will come soon. Imagine my surprise when 3 hours later a family member called me at work to tell me I received a package. The postman actually asked if I lived at the house. Sounds like they misplaced it and suddenly "found" it when I made the inquiry but didn't want to tell me to my face. Rasmus had excellent communication with me and gave me a tracking # which is how I found out it was actually here somewhere. He even offered to send another if this was lost. Excellent service....can't speak highly enough about Mr. Brohammer!
    Thank you!

Polytone Pre Amp Pedal - Brute EQ-brute_eq-jpg

User Info Menu

Hello,

A few years ago I bought from Rasmus Brohammer a Polytone pedal, in the hope to get "the classical jazz sound" I was not overly impressed using it with my sound card and my Mac, it was ok but no magic.. so it ended in my "music stuff drawer"
    For a year I use a Classic 30, cool amp that I got for very cheap, and quite pleasant sound with my Ibanez AS103, not "the classical jazz sound" I had in my head, the AS103 is a bright guitar, but quite pleasant nevertheless.

Then a week ago (I'm sometime slow to realise things) I tried to connect the Polytone Pedal to the Classic 30's Retun... bingo.. it's magic.
    My rather bright AS103 sounds creamy, délicious throught this settings, the pedal sound + the warmth of Classic 30 as a tube poweramp is .. great is not enough...

Luc

User Info Menu

It’s a nice and effective pedal, very well constructed inside an indestructible case, plenty of sound control and very silent. Beside that, there’s a nice phrase inside and I got a new good friend.
    I use it direct in my DAW and my PRRI and not looking for a traditional sound, the tweaking is very eclectic.
    Thanks Ras.

Polytone Pre Amp Pedal - Brute EQ-0ccdb8a1-d6a0-4b50-b345-d1f8087bdf1f-jpg

User Info Menu

Or perhaps one of these, since the Polytone concept was simply to make a light-weight, more portable, SS version of an old Ampeg with a Baxandall tone stack. No idea of how similar this might be from the Polytone pedal. Hmmmm, wouldn't mind a nice A/B test:
    Attached Images Attached Images Polytone Pre Amp Pedal - Brute EQ-linden_eq_smaller-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 05-24-2020 at 07:09 AM.

User Info Menu

I never heard about the Linden and making a search on Barber website it doesn’t seam to me very similar pedals but... maybe. I‘m curious anyway.

Bass Players rejoice! The Linden E.Q. brings those golden tones of yesteryear to your modern bass rig, the Linden E.Q. captures the sweetest and most recorded bass E.Q. circuit in a simple foot operated box.” In Barber Linden EQ

User Info Menu

Is that the Brute EQ? Can you show a picture of this and any webpage description if available? I've never heard of this (not that I'm much of a pedal guy).

I don't know if it would add much to an amp like the Fishman Artist, but I'm always looking for ways to tweak the sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Is that the Brute EQ? Can you show a picture of this and any webpage description if available? I've never heard of this (not that I'm much of a pedal guy).

I don't know if it would add much to an amp like the Fishman Artist, but I'm always looking for ways to tweak the sound.
    Polytone Pre Amp Pedal - Brute EQ-p1000548-jpgPolytone Pre Amp Pedal - Brute EQ-p1000550-jpgPolytone Pre Amp Pedal - Brute EQ-p1000552-jpgPolytone Pre Amp Pedal - Brute EQ-p1000553-jpg

As far as I know there is no specific website or page, but the discussion about the creation of this pedal is there

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Is that the Brute EQ?
    I think there were two and maybe three different Polytone preamp pedals that have been discussed on the forum over the years.

User Info Menu

They are hand made by member jazzmus from Denmark, a very kind person.

As far as I know, he tries to build according each one preferences. He gave me two size options but it’s possible to occur supply constraints, however the quality of construction is supreme.

Polytone Pre Amp Pedal - Brute EQ-ac1daeed-b95b-49dc-be26-6f5c45f6cbc7-jpegPolytone Pre Amp Pedal - Brute EQ-11f1e02d-de06-45b0-9294-184f69bded11-jpeg

To obtain more details you should contact him sending a personal message. Before, if you allow me, I advice you to read the nice main thread on the born and development of the idea, as referred above by Istelie.