Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

I haven’t seen a mention of this festival on JGF. Henriksen is sponsoring, lots of luthiers and workshops/performances by folks like Jimmy Bruno, Bruce Forman, Tim Lerch, etc. Anyone going? Tickets are relatively cheap.

Rocky Mountain Archtop Festival – A Guitar Festival Focused on the Builders, Players, Appreciators and Admirers of the Archtop Guitar

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I did weeks ago but the moderators moved it from this forum to another that people do not frequent. I am attending...

Rocky Mountain Archtop Festival: Sep 20-22 in Arvada, CO
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    Bob

User Info Menu

Great list of luthiers and players!!

User Info Menu

I'll be there soaking it all up. I have 2 or 3 performances a workshop and 3 Demos I'll also try to make time for any private lessons if anyone asks. It should be a wonderful weekend hope to see you there.
    Tim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TLerch View Post
    I'll be there soaking it all up. I have 2 or 3 performances a workshop and 3 Demos I'll also try to make time for any private lessons if anyone asks. It should be a wonderful weekend hope to see you there.
    Tim
    Tim,

What items will you be demo'ing?

Albert

User Info Menu

I'll be doing demos for Maegan Wells, Eastman and guesting with Ted Ludwig for Linda Manzer.

Tim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TLerch View Post
    I'll be doing demos for Maegan Wells, Eastman and guesting with Ted Ludwig for Linda Manzer.

Tim
    Thanks. You'll be playing some nice guitars.

Wish I could make this one. Have a great time!

Albert

User Info Menu

I attended the inaugural Rocky Mountain Archtop Festival in Arvada, CO last weekend. It really was a WONDERFUL event. Peter Henriksen (the show organizer) of Henriksen Amps did an amazing job.

The show was held at a Hilton Garden Inn in Arvada that served as the luthier showroom, amp showroom, audition center, seminar classroom, bar lounge concerts and central accommodations for attendees. What was DIFFERENT about this show was the jazz focus, performer talent that attended and how the performance venues were spread out in the nearby (5 min walk from the hotel) charming old town Arvada in a coffee house, a restaurant, a beer hall, a wine bar and a guitar shop. So performances were in the outside world and open to both normal patrons and show attendees. Some of my favorites among the many performances were Paul Asbell, Bobby Broom, Jimmy Bruno, Bruce Forman, Steve Herberman, Tim Lerch, Ted Ludwig, Sean McGowan and Adam Miller. I also attended a few educational seminars as well.

There were about 25 luthiers, guitar and amp companies exhibiting and I honestly spent only about 2-hours a day on both Saturday and Sunday auditioning guitars and the rest listening to stellar jazz performances. Most usually were 50 minutes long and you would move on to the next venue. The performances continued into the evening and there were also informal jams back in the hotel bar by some of the best players in the world afterwards.

Peter has already said he plans on holding another one next year. For those of you who missed it, I would encourage you to come. It really was a total blast.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    Bob

User Info Menu

Bob,
    Sounds like it was much more enjoyable then the Harrisburg show.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman View Post
    Bob,
    Have you gone to that? I was thinking of checking it out as it's much closer than colorado for me but if it's not worth the time...

I was there as well. I’ll just add that if you get a chance to see Bobby Broom Trio live, don’t miss it. They were a force of a nature. Really great.

User Info Menu

Actually, both were enjoyable in different ways...

Artisan is a larger luthier exhibition (about 50 builders) and is more diverse with flat tops, archtops (25% of the builders) and electric guitars with some seminars and perfromances all in the hotel complex. RMATF was a smaller, jazz focused archtop show with performances out in the real world. Both are quite enjoyable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by QAman View Post
    Bob,
    Bob

User Info Menu

Pics, anyone???

User Info Menu

Some photos of some of the guitars...

Victor Baker

Benedetto Guitars

Tad Brown

Bill Comins

Otto D’Ambrosio

Eastman Guitars

Greg German

Dan Koentopp

Denny Kopp

Linda Manzer

Bob

User Info Menu

Stephen Marchione

Cris Mirabella

Tom Ribbecke

Maegen Wells

Tyler Wells

Wyatt Wilkie

Gary Zimnicki

Bob

I’m sure these will display sideways. Here’s Bobby Broom Trio and Jimmy Bruno.

This weekend: Rocky Mountain Archtop Festival-bd5b6718-8579-4f24-9634-c61cc145f1f3-jpgThis weekend: Rocky Mountain Archtop Festival-90188e95-495f-42b3-87bf-9832a596d796-jpg

User Info Menu

Bobby Broom

Jimmy Bruno

Bruce Forman

Steve Herberman

Ted Ludwig, Linda Manzer & Tim Lerch

Sean McGowan

Bob

User Info Menu

Fantastic!!!! Thanks, 2-5-1!

Marc

User Info Menu

Thank you for capturing all of that wonderful wood and associated talent! It must’ve been exciting to just breathe the air in that room.
    ---
    "Everything you do is practice for something else."
    - Adam Rogers, quoting one of his teachers.

User Info Menu

Looks awesome...might have to make my way out to this in 2020!

User Info Menu

Wow love this. When anybody knows when a date is set for next year please let us know.
    Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny View Post
    Looks awesome...might have to make my way out to this in 2020!

User Info Menu

Decisions, decisions... Last weekend I had some gigs so I figured I wouldn't be able to go to Denver (80 miles away) to the Archtop Show. But then late last Friday I saw that Tim Lerch was playing on Saturday. I really wanted to see Tim... So even though I had a gig back home Saturday evening, I figured I could make to Tim's afternoon show and jump back in my car and get back to my gig in time. This meant driving in backed up highway traffic and using back roads but I figured it was worth it. I got to Arvada five minutes after the show was scheduled to begin, ran into the wine bar venue, only to find it empty. Someone told me, "Oh you just missed him. They were running early on the schedule so they had him play early. He just finished up."

Now with some time on my hand, I walked down the street to the hotel and found Tim sitting in the lobby. He generously gave me his time and I told him my story of woe. He apologized for the inconvenience but I told him it wasn't his or anyone's fault really -- I just needed someone to tell my story to! He walked me to the area with the archtop displays, and it was great to see all the boutique guitars. I spoke with a few of the luthiers but had to skat out'a-there since I still had more traffic to face before getting to my gig back home.

In the short time I was there, I made a mental note that I would block the weekend off next year for the show. The attendees were all ear-to-ear grins and everyone was discussing every guitar subject under the sun: amps, guitars, players, picks, strings, other shows -- you name it. I could see it was a grand time for everyone there!

Me... I grabbed a Jimmy John sandwich, hit the road and dined behind the wheel. So goes the life of a local working musician.

User Info Menu

I also had the opportunity to attend the festival and will definitely be back next year. I don’t have much to add to what’s already been said but I would strongly encourage anyone who can make the trip to Arvada to do so. I encountered attendees from the east coast of the United States and as far away as Dublin, Ireland, so it wasn’t just a regional event.

I mostly attended the concert performances and luthier demos rather than the workshops. It was difficult to decide what to attend because of the parallel tracks of those events. But, I mostly wanted to hear music so that’s what I went with. And, it was a treat to hear so many talented jazz guitarists in one place over the course of a weekend. Highly recommended!

User Info Menu

Looks like Henriksen is selling one of the main amps - their new Forte - that was used at the show.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the pics from those of us who could not attend. Some beautiful guitars for sure! Tyler Wells looked really wild,did anyone try one in person?
    If so how did they compare to a similar sized more traditional archtop?