The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 32

User Info Menu

Hello.
    At any time has Gibson used richlite or anything other than ebony for the fretboards of L5 Wesmo?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wengr
    Hello.
    At any time has Gibson used richlite or anything other than ebony for the fretboards of L5 Wesmo?
    Yes. In 2013-2014 there were a number of Gibson L5 Wesmo's on eBay utilizing richlite fretboards. There was some noise, controversy here about it. That's all I remember.

User Info Menu

Other than perhaps collector value,I found Richlite to be just like Ebony. But we guitarists are a rather conservative lot when it comes to change.

User Info Menu

Although I would prefer an ebony fretboard, I would not turn up my nose on an L5 with Richlite. It looks and feels like ebony, to me.

User Info Menu

A formica fretboard on a Gibson L-5? That would be a deal killer for me.

In a blind "taste test", I might not be able to discern a real L-5 from an L-5 copy, but I still prefer to own and play the real thing. But I am indeed a bit on the conservative side in most things. If it ain't broke , don't fix it works for me. If we cannot harvest the Ebony for conservation reasons (something that I have no issue with as I like "conservation") and no available stock exists, Gibson should use another organic hardwood for the fretboard, not a man made material.

Hopefully Gibson has learned a lesson regarding Richlite and I suspect that all Gibsons that have Richlite fretboards will take a hit in value forever. Ain't nothing like the real thing baby!

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the replies. I wondered if maybe Gibson abstained on these guitars but apparently not. My understanding is that richlite started in 2011.
    For a 2011 model is there anyway to tell beyond sending the serial to Gibson and asking?

Not to dispute what 2bornot2bop typed/found because they did use it on LPs, specifically Customs and some other LP iterations, but I don't think that anything that was made in the "Custom Shop" was produced with a richlite board (not that there's anything wrong with that)? Not on L-5s and particularly WesMos that I'm aware of anyway? My 2014, which was being produced in the latter part of '13 (shipped in '14) has an ebony fretboard and bridge.

Here are some links to Gibson's site from the web archive:

Jan. 31, 2013:

Gibson.com: Gibson Custom Wes Montgomery L-5 CES

Oct. 5, 2013:

Feb. 21, 2014:

Dec. 3, 2014

User Info Menu

I could have the dates wrong. These may have been 2012 guitars. But I distinctly recall observing a L5CES with a Rosewood board and a Wesmo in black with a richlite board, and thinking what is richlite? Jabberwocky would know. Where are you Jabberwocky?

User Info Menu

There was at least one 2012 L5CES Ebony with an Indian Rosewood fretboard that was in the inventory of Dave's Guitars. This followed the USFWS raid on Gibson in 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    I could have the dates wrong. These may have been 2012 guitars. But I distinctly recall observing a L5CES with a Rosewood board and a Wesmo in black with a richlite board, and thinking what is richlite? Jabberwocky would know. Where are you Jabberwocky?

Nope, not trying imply that you're (or Jabberwocky) wrong/or have the wrong dates 2bornot2bop. Certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility given the infamous raid?

Thanks for all the replies. I wondered if maybe Gibson abstained on these guitars but apparently not. My understanding is that richlite started in 2011.
    For a 2011 model is there anyway to tell beyond sending the serial to Gibson and asking?
    You can try the web archive, but I've always had good luck with Gibson customer service over the years. They've always been very responsive and quite helpful as well.

Good luck and

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    A formica fretboard on a Gibson L-5? That would be a deal killer for me.

In a blind "taste test", I might not be able to discern a real L-5 from an L-5 copy, but I still prefer to own and play the real thing. But I am indeed a bit on the conservative side in most things. If it ain't broke , don't fix it works for me. If we cannot harvest the Ebony for conservation reasons (something that I have no issue with as I like "conservation") and no available stock exists, Gibson should use another organic hardwood for the fretboard, not a man made material.

Hopefully Gibson has learned a lesson regarding Richlite and I suspect that all Gibsons that have Richlite fretboards will take a hit in value forever. Ain't nothing like the real thing baby!
    What I've read is that there actually isn't a shortage of ebony. The problem is only the blackest ebony is taken for fingerboards and the rest of the log is set aside. But the color actually is irrelevant to the quality of the wood's tone. I think Taylor has stated they are going to start using ebony with streaks and varying color for that reason. It feels right, sounds right, the only difference is the even dark coloration versus varying color.

If we could all be happy with streaked or lighter ebony, there would be tons more ebony available for tone woods.

OK, so since I'm not doing anything else at the moment, here are a few more links (there are more throughout this time-frame):

Jan. 8, 2011:

Sep. 3, 2011:

Dec. 9, 2012:

Again, not trying to imply that anyone is wrong, just trying to help you out. I would definitely try Gibson's customer service though.

User Info Menu

Like I said even if you can't see, feel or hear the difference, people won't accept Richlite. Funny part of all of this is not only performs better,but doesn't chip when a refret is necessary.

Funny how perception and marketing work together,LOL!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blues
    OK, so since I'm not doing anything else at the moment, here are a few more links (there are more throughout this time-frame):

Jan. 8, 2011:

Sep. 3, 2011:

Dec. 9, 2012:

Again, not trying to imply that anyone is wrong, just trying to help you out. I would definitely try Gibson's customer service though.

Thank You. I have used this site (if I'm using it correctly) and scanned through many months from 2011 - 2014, and all I see is the same page with the VSB L-5 where the ad copy claims ebony board. So I guess if their ad copy can be believed they were ebony.
    Also I will try to get the serial in order to contact Gibson.

User Info Menu

I hope Stringswinger is right about the value of Richlite-equipped L5 guitars taking a hit. I'd be very willing to scoop up a "distressed" value Richlite-board version...if it dings the value enough.

It won't ding the sound or feel...or the look, for that matter. It is undeniable, however, that just knowing that the fretboard is made from a paper composite that is ordinarily used for counter tops is enough to unnerve some owners.

Well...I've owned Hagstrom guitars for 50 years. Some of them feature vinyl, plastic, etc. Yet, they sound and feel like great guitars!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    I hope Stringswinger is right about the value of Richlite-equipped L5 guitars taking a hit. I'd be very willing to scoop up a "distressed" value Richlite-board version...if it dings the value enough.

It won't ding the sound or feel...or the look, for that matter. It is undeniable, however, that just knowing that the fretboard is made from a paper composite that is ordinarily used for counter tops is enough to unnerve some owners.

Well...I've owned Hagstrom guitars for 50 years. Some of them feature vinyl, plastic, etc. Yet, they sound and feel like great guitars!
    GT~I'm with you on the 'ding' devaluation theory. If an L5 shows up for sale somewhere, sufficiently discounted due to the dreaded Richlite fretboard, I'd pounce like a shark in bloody waters after it.

User Info Menu

This Richlite prejudice is emotional, but that doesn't mean it doesn't matter. Playing guitar is technical and emotional.

User Info Menu

On an L5, no.
    On a Tele, yes.

For me, L5s have the weight of tradition, but Teles are working guitars -- tools.

User Info Menu

Thank You. I have used this site (if I'm using it correctly) and scanned through many months from 2011 - 2014, and all I see is the same page with the VSB L-5 where the ad copy claims ebony board. So I guess if their ad copy can be believed they were ebony.
    It's ad copy. The richlite and rosewood L5's appeared only on certain guitars during 2012. I distinctly recall seeing the two on eBay. One was a black L5. The other a crimson red L5. But I assume those guitars sold because they're not there any longer!

You're welcome. I think contacting them would be your best bet.

It's ad copy. The richlite and rosewood L5's appeared only on certain guitars during 2012. I distinctly recall seeing the two on eBay. One was a black L5. The other a crimson red L5. But I assume those guitars sold because they're not there any longer!
    That's very true, however, I do remember them changing the ad copy for the Frampton signature model when they started using richlite on those.

User Info Menu

Bill Comins GCS-16 series utilizes Richlite on the pick-guard and tail pc overlay , and he retains ebony on the fingerboard. I think this was a good choice for the use of Richlite - which by the way looks and feels great on Bills GCS series . It’s contains over 80% wood product.

Many purists will never accept Richlite on a fingerboard - and I certainly respect that opinion. But quite frankly , I owned an ES-275 with a Richlite fingerboard and was never disappointed - it played and sounded just fine , but for me the neck was too small.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    What I've read is that there actually isn't a shortage of ebony. The problem is only the blackest ebony is taken for fingerboards and the rest of the log is set aside. But the color actually is irrelevant to the quality of the wood's tone. I think Taylor has stated they are going to start using ebony with streaks and varying color for that reason. It feels right, sounds right, the only difference is the even dark coloration versus varying color.

If we could all be happy with streaked or lighter ebony, there would be tons more ebony available for tone woods.
    Many violin/cello/bass makers don't have a problem with using streaked ebony and dyeing it black, using india ink is a traditional method.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Many violin/cello/bass makers don't have a problem with using streaked ebony and dyeing it black, using india ink is a traditional method.
    Exactly.