The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 42 of 42

User Info Menu

Hi!
    Time for little update. I have finally used my semi hollow on a budget on a video, so you can check how it works in practice. I have to admit, that I spent hours on looking for the proper tone. At the begining I started from using the treble booster, which turned out to be a dead end. I thought it will clarify the tone, but as a side effect low frequencies were totally cut out. Finally the signal goest only through my DIY amp emulation (Fender Brownface'ish) and then cab sim and interface. Sound is taken from a neck pickup with full volume and tone rolled to about 4. Reverb added in Pro Tools First. There is a separate thread for this recording in a Showcase area, but if you prefer, video also below.
    From the other updates, I have Graphtech NuBone nut waiting to be installed (I will show photo comparison with the original nut) and I think soon I will also purchase tuning machines and maybe the bridge, so stay tuned for next updates.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Many thanks for posting the video.

EXCELLENT PLAYING! Very enjoyable...Congratulations!

Tadeusz Nalepa would be impressed...and proud of you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greco

Tadeusz Nalepa would be impressed...and proud of you.
    Wow, thank you so much! That is really a lot

BTW: Are you familiar with Marek Napiorkowski? That is another great polish player - modern jazz area. His new album "Hipokamp" highly recommended. I was recently on his concert in Radio Wroclaw - mind blowing

User Info Menu

That is cool! What kind of pickups was it originally on your HB?

You say the model is a Harley Benton HB-1335, must be an older model than the current semi hollow body Harley Bentons?

I too own a Harley Benton super budget semi hollow body, but it's a HB 35, all original!

I did a demo where I play the HB 35 and a Gibson es335, it is interesting to see how some people actually prefer the sound of the cheap HB guitar.

User Info Menu

Thanks for letting me know about Marek Napiórkowski. Much appreciated.

Ted Quinlan, a well known Canadian jazz guitarist, is playing at our local Jazz Club in December.
    A bit more traditional. Hope you like it.

Cheers

Dave
    Last edited by Greco; 11-25-2019 at 09:06 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greveost
    That is cool! What kind of pickups was it originally on your HB?

You say the model is a Harley Benton HB-1335, must be an older model than the current semi hollow body Harley Bentons?

I too own a Harley Benton super budget semi hollow body, but it's a HB 35, all original!

I did a demo where I play the HB 35 and a Gibson es335, it is interesting to see how some people actually prefer the sound of the cheap HB guitar.
    Thanks a lot! Originally there was 2 classic humbuckers, but I have replaced them with set of INF pickups taken from my Ibanez S520. They sound very dark, which works great in this guitar (and was a problem in Ibanez). Yes this is older model with a little smaller body. I was quite lucky to get it, love that body size.
    Great video! Both guitars sound very nice, but the tone of this Gibson makes me come back to the idea of having P90 in my HB

Thanks for letting me know about Marek Napiórkowski. Much appreciated.

Ted Quinlan, a well known Canadian jazz guitarist, is playing at our local Jazz Club in December.
    A bit more traditional. Hope you like it.

Cheers

Dave
    You're welcome! This Ted Quinlan is also great, thanks for sharing, already landed in my Spotify. Moreover his ES-335 sound is so beautifull!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slusar
    Thanks a lot! Originally there was 2 classic humbuckers, but I have replaced them with set of INF pickups taken from my Ibanez S520. They sound very dark, which works great in this guitar (and was a problem in Ibanez). Yes this is older model with a little smaller body. I was quite lucky to get it, love that body size.
    Great video! Both guitars sound very nice, but the tone of this Gibson makes me come back to the idea of having P90 in my HB
    Ah, smaller body? Didn't know about that model. I also notice the switch/selector is placed close to the knobs, but on the new model it is placed on the upper wing. And the f-holes are nicer on yours, god damn it! Cool!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greveost
    Ah, smaller body? Didn't know about that model. I also notice the switch/selector is placed close to the knobs, but on the new model it is placed on the upper wing. And the f-holes are nicer on yours, god damn it! Cool!
    I think this model was available for quite short time period, I am not sure why they have changed that design, it was quite original and just a bit different from the competition. Regarding that switch placement honestly I'd prefer position like in new models, but on the other hand my version will be easier to work with electronics F-holes are quite nice indeed, if we speak about the shape. However their quality was really poor (rouhg edges, bad painting etc.). I have to correct them and now they look quite fine (also desribed in this thread). I think in new it is improved.

User Info Menu

I think this model was available for quite short time period, I am not sure why they have changed that design, it was quite original and just a bit different from the competition. Regarding that switch placement honestly I'd prefer position like in new models, but on the other hand my version will be easier to work with electronics F-holes are quite nice indeed, if we speak about the shape. However their quality was really poor (rouhg edges, bad painting etc.). I have to correct them and now they look quite fine (also desribed in this thread). I think in new it is improved.
    Yeah, I was referring to the shape of the F-holes.

Quality of F-holes, improved?

Yes, on My HB35 they are nice, and on my other F-hole guitar, The CST24, they are a little rougher, but still ok.

User Info Menu

I really love seeing modded guitars (when done tastefully). There’s just something special about making an instrument “yours”. Seems to be coming along really nice. I wonder if nylon saddles would help get your tone closer to where you want it.

I also loved my trip to Poland in 1997. My unit went to Poznan and we lived on the air base and helped test how well Poland would integrate into NATO. I have tremendous respect for the Polish military. And growing up in the Cleveland, Ohio area, there is a huge Polish community, so I already loved the food. You couldn’t go to a fair that didn’t have at least one or two pierogi stands.

BTW, the Poznan Cathedral is amazingly beautiful, with a really cool dual ram mechanism that buts their heads in sync with the bell chimes. Like a giant cuckoo clock, only way cooler!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zcostilla
    I really love seeing modded guitars (when done tastefully). There’s just something special about making an instrument “yours”. Seems to be coming along really nice. I wonder if nylon saddles would help get your tone closer to where you want it.

I also loved my trip to Poland in 1997. My unit went to Poznan and we lived on the air base and helped test how well Poland would integrate into NATO. I have tremendous respect for the Polish military. And growing up in the Cleveland, Ohio area, there is a huge Polish community, so I already loved the food. You couldn’t go to a fair that didn’t have at least one or two pierogi stands.

BTW, the Poznan Cathedral is amazingly beautiful, with a really cool dual ram mechanism that buts their heads in sync with the bell chimes. Like a giant cuckoo clock, only way cooler!
    So interresting story about your visit in Poland. I suppose at that time there were still Mig-21's flying. Pierogi are still on top in Poland. On canteen at my work place they are served once or twice every week. I live in Wroclaw and Poznan is on my list for a little one day trip.

Regarding the bridge - it's actually good time to start elaborating this part.Tuners already arrived and are ready to install, so time for the bridge is comming.
    I was also thinking about wooden bridge or saddles from different material like you just said. What is normally effect on the tone with this kind of stuff?
    Another idea is to install Gibraltar III from Ibanez, because of the comfort of playing (it seems to not have any sharp edges) and nice look.
    Do any of You have the experience with this bridge?

User Info Menu

Hello!
    Update time! Recently I've installed some new stuff on the guitar, this time in headstock area.

Machine heads
    Finally I have decided to use Gotoh SG381 tuners ordered from cool Polish store with plenty of equipment for building and modding guitars. Differences in quality between original Harley Benton tuners and Gotohs are clearly visible. Original ones have a lot of wiggle on the pivots, with are very sturdy in Gotohs. Quality of the finnish is also much better. I also selected the model with little round button, I just liked this style. Regarding fit - it was perect, everything matching without the need of any drilling etc.

Semi-Hollow on a budget - Harley Benton HB-1335-img_20191207_203943-jpgSemi-Hollow on a budget - Harley Benton HB-1335-img_20191205_214826-jpgSemi-Hollow on a budget - Harley Benton HB-1335-img_20191205_214744-jpg

Nut
    Nut that I have bought (in the same store) is Graph Tech NuBone. Here the difference from original nut is collosal. Original nut is made of cheap plastic, empty inside and very loose in the slot. Graph Tech is solid and feels very heavy and dense. I've got NuBone nut in a version ready to install with cuts for the strings and matching size (Graph Tech has plenty of them available for different guitars). String placement is perfect and fit in the slot very tight. Only at the bottom side nut required some sanding to avoid rough edge. Not a problem at all as material is easy to grind. Overally nut totally worth recommending!

Semi-Hollow on a budget - Harley Benton HB-1335-img_20191207_220145-jpgSemi-Hollow on a budget - Harley Benton HB-1335-img_20191205_215058-jpg

Overally I am super happy with this next mods and guitar feels much better quality-wise. Next step will be the bridge replacement and then I will touch the electronics. In the meantime I will do some mods to my Ibanez S07LTD. It's great from stock and already have some cosmetic mods and changed pickups, but there I will try to play with switching system.
    All the best!

User Info Menu

just in the spirit of helping you get things right...as you work your way though this fun learning project...looks like the mounting screws of the tuning pegs don't really match up 100%...you may need to fill those screw holes, and drill new ones...the tuning peg buttons should be at 90 degree angle to headstock...and even with each other

essential, maybe not really...but it tightens things up!! hah

cheers

User Info Menu

Good work! Personally I prefer light tuners with plastic buttons, they make the head less prone to diving but perhaps have less sustain.... probably so marginal that it’s mostly in my mind :-)

Great project! I enjoy following it!
    Don’t forget to enjoy the guitar and use it for lots of playing!

User Info Menu

Looks wonderful! Congratulations!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    just in the spirit of helping you get things right...as you work your way though this fun learning project...looks like the mounting screws of the tuning pegs don't really match up 100%...you may need to fill those screw holes, and drill new ones...the tuning peg buttons should be at 90 degree angle to headstock...and even with each other

essential, maybe not really...but it tightens things up!! hah

cheers
    Oh, I haven't noticed, I have just used holes from the factory. Thanks for notifying! I will take care of this with the next string replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Good work! Personally I prefer light tuners with plastic buttons, they make the head less prone to diving but perhaps have less sustain.... probably so marginal that it’s mostly in my mind :-)

Great project! I enjoy following it!
    Don’t forget to enjoy the guitar and use it for lots of playing!
    I think that looking into such little details is one of the pleasures of doing guitar mods. You can be absolutely sure, that I will keep on playing this guitar a lot!

Looks wonderful! Congratulations!
    Thanks a lot!

User Info Menu

So interresting story about your visit in Poland. I suppose at that time there were still Mig-21's flying. Pierogi are still on top in Poland. On canteen at my work place they are served once or twice every week. I live in Wroclaw and Poznan is on my list for a little one day trip.
    The base was mostly MiG-21’s and a handful of MiG-27’s (but they might have been in from another base). My commander was taken for a plane ride in a MiG and then he let the Polish commander drive a HMMWV (hum-vee). Not sure who got the bigger thrill out of it. The Polish Colonel really pushed the HMMWV to the limits.

I wonder if the Sphinx restaurant is still in Poznan. They had amazing shawarma!