The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by campusfive
    There are numerous threads on this same topic, but it's a pity that it'd be a bit tough to search through and find them.

Under $1000, a Loar 600 or 700 is easily the best bet. It may require a proper set up to play it's best, but it's easily accomplished.
    Here's an article I wrote about it: Modern Gear for the Vintage Player - 2019 Update — Jonathan Stout and his Campus Five featuring Hilary Alexander

If you've got up to $2500, a vintage 17" Epi Triumph (assuming it's in good condition and sounds and plays well) will be your best bet. If you can find a pre-1950 Gibson L-7, that would also be good but they tend to be more expensive than the comparable Epiphone Triumph.

If you can find a non-cutaway Eastman, I'd happily recommend one.

I would avoid the new Epiphone Masterbult series like the plague. They are dismissal acoustic guitars that are meant to sound good plugged in - and I don't think they do that either.

If it's any indication... I currently play and travel extensively with a 1939 L-5, and I've also got a 1932 L-5. But, I've been considering picking up a Loar 700 or a Triumph to use a travel guitar (and specifically to throw a DeArmond FHC on so I can have a workhorse acoustic/electric).
    This has largely been my experience, though I am not impressed enough with any Loar that I have played to not want to pony up the extra dough for a vintage Triumph or L-7.

Regarding the Eastmans, I have never been impressed with any cutaway Eastmans enough to want to play one unplugged, but one day I stopped by Schoenberg guitars in Marin County, CA and played a used non-cut oval hole Eastman. They were asking $1,000 (about 10 years ago) and the guitar was stellar. I went home (deciding to sleep on whether or not to purchase it) and called the next morning with an intention to purchase it. The guitar sold about an hour after I had left the shop the previous day. You snooze, you lose. As the quality of Eastman guitars is all over the place, I would not recommend buying one sight unseen unless one has an approval period or it is had at a price that permits an exit strategy with no monetary risk.

A player's grade L-7 (Headstock repair or refin) can be had for under 2K. Some of these are amazing acoustic guitars and fit the "workhorse acoustic archtop" definition to a "T".

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Do any actual brick and mortar stores carry The Loar archtops? I have never seen a single one in a store, and the many reviews citing some pretty major manufacturing defects give me serious pause about buying one online.

John

User Info Menu

I'm going to 2nd, (or 3rd, 4th or 5th) the recommendation of an old Epi Triumph. They're typically priced lower than a Gibson L7 as mentioned.
    Here's a really nice one priced very low imo, especially for a blonde ( no affiliation) I'd grab this in a NY minute if I was looking.

1948 Epiphone Triumph Natural > Guitars Archtop Electric & Acoustic | Dans Fine Guitars

Don't discount the prewar 16" models, I had a really nice '35 that was as loud and full as the day is long.

User Info Menu

Do not list guitars like that one day after I bought a guitar.
    it’s a good buy.

User Info Menu

Guitar Center advertises the LH700 for $1500. It may not be in stock at your local store, but you can order one for pickup in 3 days, and if you don't want it after trying it, return it for a full refund, or just not take it home.

User Info Menu

Oh, did they (Loar) "fix" the neck angle on newer models? That's one thing that I didn't like when I tested one several years ago.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mforker
    Hello all,
    I've decided to go the fully acoustic archtop route to accommodate my more chamber music interests and would love some advice. What's your favorite archtop with no pickups? and how has your experience with mics at gigs been? I'm willing to spend some money, but the important thing is that this is going to be my main guitar to tour with, so I don't want it to be worth so much that I'm afraid to travel with it.

thanks!
    You've received some great advice and recommendations from some of the finest,talented and knowledgeable forum members! Isn't it grand to have this resource at the click of a mouse.
    For the umpteenth time, I would seek out a Epiphone Triumph, however I am biased as I gig occasionally with a '53 Triumph Regent with no pickup.The venue is a small, live sounding bar area at a upscale French restaurant with a trumpet player. The Epi totally cuts the gig without a pickup. However, if we are in a larger venue I just mic her with a 414 Sennheiser.
    It's got the OHSC which is pretty beat up, if I am traveling I purchased a newer, sturdy case for it, local gigs the OHSC is fine.
    Be aware that many classic Epi's suffer from binding separation from hide glue failing after 60+ years. Some have necks with a pronounced V shape that some players don't get along with, such is the case with my '53. I don't have a problem with it at all, although I prefer the neck profile on my Bob built Benedetto Cremona.
    Also, someone posted looking into a D-hole Gypsy guitar. After all is said and done, IMHO a good GJC will beat just about any acoustic archtop for volume, but the tone is totally different. I love my Dupont, it is a great guitar, however for the classic archtop tone, as many have said-Epi Triumph, L-7 (or L-5 if you have the budget) is the ticket to paradise.
    Attached Images Attached Images Workhorse acoustic archtop?-53-tr-1-jpg Workhorse acoustic archtop?-epiatsprings-jpg Workhorse acoustic archtop?-unplugged-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Do any actual brick and mortar stores carry The Loar archtops? I have never seen a single one in a store, and the many reviews citing some pretty major manufacturing defects give me serious pause about buying one online.

John
    There are many locations one can purchase a Loar online, and many of these come with a guarantee. The "major manufacturing defects" are a myth. Yes, there were some Loar's that required neck resets. But one doesn't throw the baby out with the bath water. As Bruce Lee once said, "absorb what is useful, discard that which is not."

User Info Menu

I think the most important things have been said already.

I only want to add, that I gig a lot with a non-cut Eastman and I'm really happy with it.

Amplification wise I think clip on mics are the way to go, although I always carry a piezo with me (just in case).

I've been using one of the cheap Thomann Ovid microphons, which seem to be a DPA copy. I've never had any problems with these, and even had some audio-engineers telling me that they ere surprised that cheap mic was doing such a good job.

Just my two cents

User Info Menu

I second what many others said. I have a Loar LH-700 and it’s great. Mine needed a 50€ set-up to give its best. No neck angle problem, and I use it happily with a FHC on so I have both acoustic and electric. If you say “workhorse acoustic archtop”, that’s the one I think of. The LH-600 is the same guitar just with a little less bling. I also have a carved-top old Höfner. Very different neck and sound but also very nice, and fantastic for rhythm guitar playing. It’s the one I use with my big band, also with a DeArmond. I bought it for fairly cheap, (way below $1000) and if you’re in Europe Höfners are also to be considered. But you must do your homework re: models and specs!

Higher-end, I can only reiterate the suggestions made above. I am permanently on the lookout for reasonably priced and locally available L-4s, L-7s and old Epiphones. I turned down a Zenith (side to side, my used Loar was better and costed half the money), but the day a well-preserved Triumph passes by at a reasonable price I think I’ll snatch it. Especially if it’s blonde