The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 187

User Info Menu

I put this one together over the weekend. I plan to describe the project and share a demo in an upcoming NGD post, but here's the preview of my TK Smith CC Snakehead.
    Charlie Christian pickups and other CC style pups... pics please!-fullsizerender-2-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There are so many unique guitars in this thread, many appear like classics. I'm almost ashamed to add this custom 18", but the VVCC pickup is a winner - to my ears. I'm also ashamed to say that my very first guitar ever was a Gibson 175CC...that I eventually sold, not knowing it would be valued at $3k and more some day.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard49
    I've got a S. D. C. Christian pick in 2006 then a Peerless New York three years later, still trying to figur e out what would be the best pots & caps. I' m going to try a 500(vol) & 250(tone) with a grey Tiger .20 capacitor . I hope this will work out fine. Before the end of the week I should get a VA185G, I tried an original Gibson amp in Brooklyn 2 gyears ago , but I was not overwhelmed. & founding a proper technician for such an amp in France is almost impossible. What type of cap & pots do you use? It looks like Seymour don't make those pu anymore , but there is still a waiting list waiting to be completed.......
    Sounds to me like what you're proposing for pots and caps will work fine. I used Schatten thumbwheel controls but I don't recall their specs. They seem to work well though.

Doesn't surprise me that Seymour isn't making them anymore. Seems like a lot of work. I'm glad I got mine when I did.

Does anyone know if CharlieChristianpickups in the U.K. is still making pickups? I wrote to them a few days ago and haven't heard back. Plus, I don't see any for sale on eBay, Reverb or anywhere else. Does anyone know?

User Info Menu

Hey Jazzers,

Just to chime in, here is a picture and video of my '37 Gibson L50 Black Special that was transformed into an ES150 by the Dutch luthier Daniel Slaman. The CC PU is from CC PU UK.

For those of you interested in prewar Gibsons, you may know that Gibson produced a first series of ten L50 Black Special equipped with the very first CC PU in 1936 as a kind of demonstration project. Then, having judged these guitars positively, Gibson decided to launch their production and released for real the famous ES 150 CC. So this guitar is very much equivalent to the very first electric guitars ever produced by Gibson. For a CC addict guitarist like me, it's a dream-come-true guitar.

Charlie Christian pickups and other CC style pups... pics please!-img_0656-jpg

Cheers.

User Info Menu

That's some sweet playing! I'd be dishonest if I said your youtube videos weren't influential in my decision to get a CC pickup on one of my guitars. Love your clips and looking forward to hearing more!

User Info Menu

Fred Archtop, that's one great looking guitar with a cool nod to history. You have some great CC pickup based guitars -- and the chops to make 'em sound at their best! Thanks for sharing them with us.

User Info Menu

Fred Archtop, your playing is a joy to listen to! Congratulations on the Slaman L50/150 conversion. You've convinced many of us here to investigate CC pickups. For that we are grateful. Thank you!

User Info Menu

I posted this earlier but maybe it got lost in the shuffle. Didn't hear a response so here goes again...

Does anyone know if CharlieChristianpickups in the U.K. is still making pickups? I wrote to them a few days ago and haven't heard back. Plus, I don't see any for sale on eBay, Reverb or anywhere else. Does anyone know?

User Info Menu

I think they are still doing them. At least Daniel Slaman, the Dutch luthier, is still getting his CC PU from them.

User Info Menu

Thanks. I hope so. If Seymour Duncan is ceasing to make them, seems the options for a proper three-screw CC PU is getting to be slim pickings.

User Info Menu

I've got this set aside for when the right husk comes along

User Info Menu

Dear Jazzers,

I've committed a new video featuring my guitars equipped with Charlie Christian Pick Ups.

Hope you'll enjoy the sound.

All guitars but the Slaman DS-250 are equipped with Tomastick-Infled strings (all Swing 12-50, except the 175 CC which as Bebop 12-50). The Slaman DS-250 is mounted with Martin Monel strings. Amp is a
    Fender Deluxe Reissue '65. The sound was recorded with a Shure SM57 placed in front of the amp speaker.

Have a nice and sunny (hopefully) Sunday.
    Last edited by Fred Archtop; 09-15-2019 at 10:20 AM.

User Info Menu

Wonderful guitars, playing and sound. Thanks for the video!

User Info Menu

Awesome video. I particularly like the 80 175 and the black l50? Thanks for posting!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vintagelove
    Awesome video. I particularly like the 80 175 and the black l50? Thanks for posting!!!
    Those appealed to me the most soundwise as well!

They have some nice upper high clarity without sounding sharp.

User Info Menu

Are all of these ACTUAL/Vintage CC pickups? Or are they those nearly-identical UK versions, or other modern "copies" like Lollar, etc?

User Info Menu

Thanks all for your comments and appraisals. Some folks here know that I am mad about CC PU, and I always take the occasion to put them forward. I agree with you that the L50 and ES-175 CC are in a different category, sound-wise, than the others. To me, they are more adapted to a "modern post-bop style" and, indeed, I use them in this type of musical situation. But maybe this is just me...Now I must say that my ES-150 is my "trip to a desert island" guitar, if ever I could find an amp on this island.

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Are all of these ACTUAL/Vintage CC pickups? Or are they those nearly-identical UK versions, or other modern "copies" like Lollar, etc?
    That's a mix of them. The ES-150 has an original (i.e. 1938) CC PU. The ES-175 CC has the PU that Gibson reissued for a brief period (1978-1980). It's conception is very different from the original, also tone-wise. The DS 250 and Gibson L50 were born in Daniel Slaman's guitar workshop. They are equipped with an ES-250 version (i.e. individual but non adjustable pole pieces). The ES-300 and L5C are equipped with Pete Biltoft special PU that I ordered to him. I once had a Lollar on my ES-300. Very good mic' but closer to a P90 as compared to the one from P. Biltoft. Therefore I switched for Pete's version.

Cheers.

User Info Menu

They all sound Wonderful to my ears! I had Peter Biltoft of Vintage Vibe Pickups make me a CC Humbucking floater that replaced my Kent Armstrong 12 piece floater. I love the sound of these pickups !

User Info Menu

Do CC and P90 pickups have 60hz hum in France like in the USA ?
    I know the electric is different on your side of the pond.
    Always loved the CC and P90 tone better than a humbucker but not the hum that comes with it in the USA with our AC electricity.
    Sweet tone all axes Fred.

User Info Menu

That's why I had Peter Biltoft of Vintage Vibe Pickups make a double Charlie Christian Humbucking pickup for my archtop. And it was a direct custom replacement for around $175.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Do CC and P90 pickups have 60hz hum in France like in the USA ?
    I know the electric is different on your side of the pond.
    Always loved the CC and P90 tone better than a humbucker but not the hum that comes with it in the USA with our AC electricity.
    Sweet tone all axes Fred.
    No, we have 50hz hum! ;-)

But it hardly bothers me when I play my 1950 ES-125. But you need to stand a few feet away from your amp or change the guitar’s angle to the amp sometimes and then it goes away. I hardly ever come across a venue that doesn’t have properly grounded electrics anymore, that probably helps as well.

Dimmers in lights and lamps are much worse, if you are on the same outlet as those.
    Last edited by Little Jay; 09-16-2019 at 05:01 AM.

User Info Menu

I have to agree with Fred. The ES150 is sublime. Next comes the L50 and ES175.

Well done.

User Info Menu

Fred have you ever tried the CC Pickup with the screw poles (like on Metheny’s Slaman)? It’s a unique sound in the CC family of tones. I think the blade is a big part of the pickups sound, the pole CC is like a CC with a bit of P90 bite. A little more treble and a touch more dynamic.

You should buy another guitar, this time with the poles.

User Info Menu

Hmm? I am not sure that I have ever played a more dynamic pickup than the Charlie Christian bar pickup. In terms of dynamic range--the difference between the softest and loudest sounds picked up--the CC amplifies strings without compression that I can detect better than any other pickup I have ever experienced.

Nothing else has even come close, FWIW.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    I have to agree with Fred. The ES150 is sublime. Next comes the L50 and ES175.

Well done.
    I have a pretty serviceable L50 that I so would love to have a P90 or CC pickup in, but it's parallel braced and I fear I'd ruin the guitar if I tried it. A CC in the L50 is one of my little dreams!