Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

I'm getting ready to try selling a guitar on Reverb, and I don't really get how they deal with shipping. Maybe some of you have sold there can help? The form creating the ad has a box labeled "standard shipping," which you are required to fill out. Does that mean that you can't set the shipping price with the buyer after you make a deal and have to quote and stick to a shipping price as part of the sale? How do you guys deal with the uncertainty of the actual shipping cost vs having to commit in advance to a price for it?

John

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You set a price that does or does not include shipping, plus a price for shipping. You can offer free shipping, or set a separate price for it. It's all negotiable. I prefer to offer free shipping, with the price high enough to cover it, but I've sold for a lower price with a shipping price that was reasonable. Depends on which way you want to do it, and what you're willing to negotiate.

User Info Menu

There's a lot to this ... and a lot of options.
    You can set shipping to whatever you want, including $0. If you pack the guitar up and weigh it, you can do some online estimates, and then set a price from there. Some sellers take a hit with shipping, and just set a medium price, i.e. $50 (when the actual price will be much more). Again, it's up to you.
    FWIW, when you are ready to ship, I'd recommend checking out Ship Guitars - they have discounted prices on UPS.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy View Post
    FWIW, when you are ready to ship, I'd recommend checking out Ship Guitars - they have discounted prices on UPS.
    This is awesome. I shy away from selling guitars non-locally because of shipping. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy View Post
    There's a lot to this ... and a lot of options.
    You can set shipping to whatever you want, including $0. If you pack the guitar up and weigh it, you can do some online estimates, and then set a price from there. Some sellers take a hit with shipping, and just set a medium price, i.e. $50 (when the actual price will be much more). Again, it's up to you.
    Thanks. re: Ship Guitars, you still have to pack the guitar and deal with getting it to UPS, right? Do you know whether you can go to a UPS Store through them? (The site says UPS "outlet", but it's not clear to me what that means)

[the context to all of this is that I live in NYC in an apt building with no doorman or package room. This whole concept of "just drive down to UPS" or "they'll leave it on your porch" or "when you buy a guitar just save the box in your garage" does not happen in these parts. Shipping is a PITA.]

John

User Info Menu

Hi,
    The UPS store is fine; you can have them pack it, or you can.

User Info Menu

The best way I have found after getting burned on shipping is to pack the item. Then post in the ad the following information: dimensions, length height and width, the weight, most guitars shipped weight 20-30#, and the zip code it's being shipped from. Typically the shipping weight is not the driving factor. It's the diamensions that drive the cost. (To get a empty amp box shipped from the west coast to the east coast, box costs $45 and $130 to ship it.)This way a potential buyer can do the estimate for shipping themselves. Then pay the price of the item

I got burn for a arbitrary shipping cost just to fill in the blank. Say $50 thinking the buyer would negotiate the final shipping cost before shipping. Some buyers have taken advantage of this paying that price when the shipping cost twice that. I just eat it to do the deal.

User Info Menu

Now that I've retired, I tend to do the "best guess" method of specifying a shipping rate on reverb (e.g., $75) and limiting shipping to US CONUS addresses only. I typically lose money on the shipping but it's all part of my "buy high, sell low" strategy for gear transactions.

If applicable, it's worth checking to see if your employer has any form of employee shipping policy. My company shipped tons of equipment around the country every day (television production), and offered employees the ability to enjoy its corporate rate with UPS and FedEx. Typically it ended up costing about 1/3 of the price it would have cost me going to a UPS Store, etc. Added bonus of getting to know the very nice folks in the shipping department, many of whom were musicians and were happy to chat about guitars!

User Info Menu

Some general info that may not answer the OP's question but may be of use.

I have sold on Reverb and they offer (or used to at least) a discounted shipping price. If memory serves it was UPS last few times I sold stuff. I have a UPS account and their price was half what it would have cost me if I used my UPS account.

They are under new ownership now so things may have changed. I'm going back around a year ago.

User Info Menu

L"XH"XD"/139= Dimensional Weight in pounds.
    LcmxHcmxDcm/5000= Dim. Weight in Kgs.

A 50"x20"x8" box has a dim. weight of 57.55 pounds. That is what you get billed for, never mind that the box contains air.

User Info Menu

FWIW- I've used this method to pack guitars, which has worked well on more than one occasion:

archtop.com: shipping your guitar