The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Electro-Harmonix has brought out the 22 Caliber, a Class D 22-Watt solid state amp in a pedal enclosure:

This looks like a stompbox, but it's an amp. They warn you several times in the booklet to not operate it without having it connected to a speaker load. As you can see, it's about as simple as it gets: A volume knob and a Normal/Bright switch.

I've been looking at a way to stop carrying an amp around. Going direct is the simplest option, but for various reasons, I can't get the proper monitor setup for that. I was intrigued by the 22 Caliber, because I figured I could run it into a monitor, which could also have a mic in front of it to put it through the p.a.

I ordered one last week, and it arrived today. I was very surprised at the headroom and and the volume. I posted a sound clip of it. I'd be interested in knowing what you think.

SoundClick artist: Funkwire - page with MP3 music downloads
    Last edited by Funkwire; 12-29-2009 at 11:29 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Listening test isn't too revealing for me (tiny laptop computer speakers) but the product is fascinating. As mentioned in many posts: if loudspeaker technology could just catch up with amplifier technology, we'd truly be playing in the twenty-first century ! But I'm not holding my breath

cheers,
    randyc

User Info Menu

That looks a winner , would certainly cut down the amount of gear to humph around with a suitable speaker cab .

User Info Menu

What's the power supply? Wall wart transformer?

User Info Menu

I couldn't tell a lot of difference in tone, certainly not enough difference to hump 80 lbs of amp around. One question, how do you know there will be a monitor where you are going you can hook up to. I guess if you are always playing where a sound system is, you would be OK; but, I was thinking about a cafe gig or something like that. In a former lifetime I did a one man band thing, and I had to hump everything around. I was always looking for a sit down gig where I would be in the same place for several nights in a row and didn't have to move furniture all over the place.

Ron

User Info Menu

It definitely is small, but I just spent a little time on Youtube listening to samples and there appears to be little to no head room and seems to sound rather sterile. Granted compressed audio on youtube, but I am using Mackie HR824 speakers so that does help some. I'd be interested in hearing some jazz through the little gizmo.

Quote Originally Posted by tejastani
    What's the power supply? Wall wart transformer?
    18 volt. The power supply has a power cord attached to the transformer, so it's not a wall-wart style, the plug will fit in a power strip easily. It's a 2-prong plug, no Edison plug. That seems strange. I'd like a grounding plug.

It only works with the power supply. It does not run off batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Vermillion
    I couldn't tell a lot of difference in tone, certainly not enough difference to hump 80 lbs of amp around. One question, how do you know there will be a monitor where you are going you can hook up to. I guess if you are always playing where a sound system is, you would be OK; but, I was thinking about a cafe gig or something like that. In a former lifetime I did a one man band thing, and I had to hump everything around. I was always looking for a sit down gig where I would be in the same place for several nights in a row and didn't have to move furniture all over the place.

Ron
    I have a 12" monitor that I will carry with me. It's smaller and lighter than my Fender HRD...which is what I was trying to accomplish.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Z
    It definitely is small, but I just spent a little time on Youtube listening to samples and there appears to be little to no head room and seems to sound rather sterile. Granted compressed audio on youtube, but I am using Mackie HR824 speakers so that does help some. I'd be interested in hearing some jazz through the little gizmo.
    I'll work on that. I have also had people ask me to record clips with an OD pedal going into it.

User Info Menu

If you were to get a 22 watt solid state combo amp, it would only have an 8" speaker in it, 10" at most. Is this relevant?

Could be, I don't know. As I don't have an 8" or 10" speaker, it's kind of a moot point for me.

User Info Menu

Anyone have any more feedback about the EHX Caliber 22?

I'm thinking of getting one as a backup, as it'd be simple to tote to gigs or just keep in my car. So does it have enough clean headroom to get you through a gig? Ideally, a backup doesn't get played too much anyhow (we hope).

User Info Menu

hmmmmm.......so intriguing.

must....resist....buying...another....gadget....

User Info Menu

Well, I just picked one of these Caliber 22 amps up. I found a good price on a lightly used one.

I bought it to serve as a backup. It's super small size makes it simple to bring to any gig, rehearsal or just leave in the car so you always have it when you go to play anywhere.

I've only played it a couple hours so far, but my initial impression is very good, that it will make a perfect backup for me.

My biggest concern was volume and amount of clean headroom. I plugged it into my combo amp's speaker (as I would if I needed it at a gig) and there was plenty of volume for my needs. I generally play small gigs and most of the time play standards at a restaurant during dinner, so I don't need a ton of volume anyway. But there appears to me more than I'd need. My gigging volume on it would probably be around 9:00ish. At 9:00 it is very clean. The manual states it is 22 watts and apparently that means how many watts before it begins to distort any. The manual says:
    At a certain point in the VOLUME knob’s travel the output will start to overdrive, at this point you are beginning to exceed 22 Watts on your loudest notes. Turning the VOLUME knob further clockwise will produce a more overdriven sound from pure power amp saturation.
    So there seems to be more than enough clean headroom and volume for to use as a backup. Running a preamp before it would provide more flexibility. But as is, it makes a highly recommended backup for those who play out.
    Last edited by monkmiles; 02-10-2010 at 12:54 PM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by martinopass
    Well, I just picked one of these Caliber 22 amps up. I found a good price on a lightly used one.

I bought it to serve as a backup. It's super small size makes it simple to bring to any gig, rehearsal or just leave in the car so you always have it when you go to play anywhere.

I've only played it a couple hours so far, but my initial impression is very good, that it will make a perfect backup for me.

My biggest concern was volume and amount of clean headroom. I plugged it into my combo amp's speaker (as I would if I needed it at a gig) and there was plenty of volume for my needs. I generally play small gigs and most of the time play standards at a restaurant during dinner, so I don't need a ton of volume anyway. But there appears to me more than I'd need. My gigging volume on it would probably be around 9:00ish. At 9:00 it is very clean. The manual states it is 22 watts and apparently that means how many watts before it begins to distort any. The manual says: So there seems to be more than enough clean headroom and volume for to use as a backup. Running a preamp before it would provide more flexibility. But as is, it makes a highly recommended backup for those who play out.
    Thanks for getting back to us for a review. I always thought the Crate Powerblock was the ultimate back up amp. Looks like it has competition.

Quote Originally Posted by martinopass

My biggest concern was volume and amount of clean headroom. I plugged it into my combo amp's speaker (as I would if I needed it at a gig) and there was plenty of volume for my needs. I generally play small gigs and most of the time play standards at a restaurant during dinner, so I don't need a ton of volume anyway. But there appears to me more than I'd need. My gigging volume on it would probably be around 9:00ish. At 9:00 it is very clean. The manual states it is 22 watts and apparently that means how many watts before it begins to distort any. The manual says: So there seems to be more than enough clean headroom and volume for to use as a backup. Running a preamp before it would provide more flexibility. But as is, it makes a highly recommended backup for those who play out.
    I finally got a chance to use mine in a gigging situation.

My experience was much the same: plenty of clean headroom. I plugged it into a monitor, which I placed in front of me. I put a mic in front of it to run it into the p.a.

The bass player, who runs our sound, was not completely happy with it. He found it much higher in the mids then my amp and had to re-configure the board settings for my amp channel. So I would recommend using an eq pedal or something similar.

I turned the 22 Caliber on about an hour before we started playing to test it out. I left it on and found that it shut off a couple of times in the first set (it seems to have an automatic clip protection built in). It would stay off for about 3 seconds, then come back on. After the first set, I unplugged the 22 Caliber, then plugged it back in just prior to starting the next set. It didn't shut off the rest of the night.

I found the sound very clean, but not sterile. It had a nice response to touch, as well. It works well with pedals. I may experiment using it with a multi-effects and see how that sounds. I am joining another group with a different repertoire and line-up than my current one, so it's a good time to try out different set-ups.

The 22 Caliber gets a thumbs-up from me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Funkwire
    I plugged it into a monitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkwire
    I left it on and found that it shut off a couple of times in the first set (it seems to have an automatic clip protection built in). It would stay off for about 3 seconds, then come back on.
    When you say you plugged it into a monitor, is that just a cabinet with a typical 4-16ohm load speaker? The 22 Caliber has an auto shut-off (to prevent damaging itself) if/when it's having an issue driving a load. Just wondering if this is what you were experiencing with the shut-off. It's designed to be connected to a 4-16ohm speaker, and 8ohm ideally. The manual doesn't recommend driving loads under 8ohms, but says it will work from from 4 to 16 ohms.

Were you also using a speaker cable into the cabinet as opposed to a guitar/instrument cable? Speaker cable would be ideal.

Just trying to help out in the case you weren't aware and if it might be the issue...and also share for others info.

It's an 8-ohm load and yes, I was using a speaker cable.

User Info Menu

Anyone else try one of these? The possibility has been floating through my mind lately.

User Info Menu

I've been keeping mine in my car as a backup to my combo amp(s). If I have an amp failure (tube or something), then I'll grab it and hook it up to the combos speaker.

I have been using mine at rehearsals (haven't played any gigs for a couple of months). I isolated the problem that was causing my 22 Caliber to clip out--it was my clean boost pedal (Duncan Pickup Booster). It must have just enough gain to overload the 22 Caliber.

I've been using it in conjunction with a Digitech GNX2 and am very happy with the sounds I'm getting. I use the GNX2 to supply all my effects patches, including distortion. The 22 Caliber just supplies clean power to the speaker.

There is a strong possibility that both of the bands I work with will be going to in-ear monitors. If that happens, I'll put the Digitech direct into the p.a. But until then, I'll go with the 22 Caliber.