The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 58

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    TC HOF mini. My patch preference varies, but mostly either the default room, HOF default, or the GC "Lost in the tone". It's easy to change the patch from my phone, and there are many, many spring reverb patches available. I don't care for them, but there are tons of them for use.
    You don't care for the spring patches because they don't sound good to you or because you just don't like spring reverb?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I use the reverb on the LJ set at about 10 o'clock. It sounds fine to me. It's in what I might call jazz territory.

I also add reverb with a Boss ME80.

I don't care for the LJ reverb above 12 o'clock. This is, I suppose, surf music territory, but I don't think it sounds good for that either.
    Well since I would only use a little reverb I'm hopeful that I feel the same as you with the setting at 10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vashondan
    Well since I would only use a little reverb I'm hopeful that I feel the same as you with the setting at 10
    Here's a recording with that setup. ME80 into the LJ. Some reverb from each. Don't recall which guitar it was. Either a Yamaha Pacifica 012 with a lil 59, or a Comins GCS-1.
    Attached Files Attached Files

User Info Menu

I actually like the verb from the LJ and the Micro Jazz. I generally have it set around 11:30. I own a HOF Mini (which I like) but it doesn't get used much any more, mostly because I like the simplicity of just running straight into the amp.

User Info Menu

Here's a recording with that setup. ME80 into the LJ. Some reverb from each. Don't recall which guitar it was. Either a Yamaha Pacifica 012 with a lil 59, or a Comins GCS-1.
    I enjoyed the heck out of that performance and I'll be very happy with a tone like that from the DV. Thanks1

User Info Menu

You don't care for the spring patches because they don't sound good to you or because you just don't like spring reverb?
    I don't like spring reverb. They all sound rather cheesy to me. I have a Vibrolux Reverb, but I don't care much for the reverb. It's okay from about 1.5 to 1.9, but from 2 up it's not a sound I like. My tastes may be very different from anyone else's, but I seldom have the HOF mini set above 9 o'clock, and the Little Jazz is usually around the second dot, just barely detectable. At that level, it's perfectly acceptable. I just don't like reverb that much.

User Info Menu

I enjoyed the heck out of that performance and I'll be very happy with a tone like that from the DV. Thanks1
    '

The comping tone is, if I recall, just a little reverb from the ME80 and more reverb from the LJ.

The lead tone is a bunch of stuff from the ME80 plus the same amount of reverb from the LJ.

I really like the LJ, but a lot of that lead tone is the ME80.

Good luck with your new amp!

User Info Menu

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Check out the Boing.

User Info Menu

Great name for a spring reverb. Thanks I'll check it out. It's little higher cost than I wanted but.... I really like the Catalinbread Topanga but it's about 200.

User Info Menu

Great name for a spring reverb. Thanks I'll check it out. It's little higher cost than I wanted but.... I really like the Catalinbread Topanga but it's about 200.

Hmm ... maybe tell us your budget, but also, don't be afraid to buy used. You can get some great deals on Reverb or The Gear Page.

User Info Menu

Little Jazz reverb is perfectly fine IMO. I only use a little bit.
    I have a decent reverb pedal (Digitech Polara) but I only use that with amps with no reverb.
    Otherwise, I'm a happy camper.

Maybe give the amp a try for yourself before making changes based on internet forums?

User Info Menu

If somebody is going to invest $200 in a reverb device, I'd suggest considering the Boss GT-1.

It has a bunch of different kinds of reverb with more ways to adjust parameters than I'd ever want to use.

And, it has a whole bunch of other capabilities in a very small package. Apparently can be had for $179 at GC (lists for $199).

Is it the absolute best sounding reverb available for that price? I have no idea. But it's pretty good.

User Info Menu

My DV Mark Little Jazz arrived yesterday afternoon (Musician's Friend, $249 new shipped). I tried it out this morning with only its on-board reverb, which is fine. Sounded much better with my Digitech Hardwire RV-7, but the best result I obtained (at apartment bedroom levels at least) was with the on-board reverb plus a bit of delay vis-a-vis an MXR Carbon Copy. (I'm trying to get my gear footprint down so the idea of a single added pedal plus the on-board reverb is appealing to me.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bmw2002
    My DV Mark Little Jazz arrived yesterday afternoon (Musician's Friend, $249 new shipped). I tried it out this morning with only its on-board reverb, which is fine. Sounded much better with my Digitech Hardwire RV-7, but the best result I obtained (at apartment bedroom levels at least) was with the on-board reverb plus a bit of delay vis-a-vis an MXR Carbon Copy. (I'm trying to get my gear footprint down so the idea of a single added pedal plus the on-board reverb is appealing to me.)
    That's a great price for this amp. Congrats!

User Info Menu

That's a great price for this amp. Congrats!
    Thanks. Figured this was a low risk buy at this price point. Newer version (without the fan in the rear).

Just FYI, Musician's Friend still selling them at this price.

User Info Menu

The fan is still there, just relocated and reoriented. It's hard to see, because there are only a couple of slits to let the air out when it's on. I've only had it come on during loud, heavy use, and it's not possible to hear it under those conditions. In the practice room, sitting close to it, I've never heard it come on at all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    The fan is still there, just relocated and reoriented. It's hard to see, because there are only a couple of slits to let the air out when it's on. I've only had it come on during loud, heavy use, and it's not possible to hear it under those conditions. In the practice room, sitting close to it, I've never heard it come on at all.
    I've had mine for 9 months or so and I've never heard any indication that the amp even has a fan. I've read that it does, but I've never heard it.

User Info Menu

For straight-ahead jazz, the DV Mark reverb is ok. You only need a tad of it. The chorus-type of flavor begins to kick in after 10 o'clock. I happen to dig it, too.

User Info Menu

I use it a bit above 8 o'clock (7 o'clock == zero). Above that it is way too much for me, The quality is pretty much OK on that level.

For reference on my Bugera Vintage V5 Infinium (which is almost half price) I use 9 o'clock which is pretty same level effect, and I like the reverb itself much more than on DV Mark.

(I am planning a comparison video on the two amps, both are great for their price but V5 is only for bedroom, no gig)

Reverb for DV Mark Little Jazz-1-jpg

Reverb for DV Mark Little Jazz-2-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    I use it a bit above 8 o'clock (7 o'clock == zero). Above that it is way too much for me, The quality is pretty much OK on that level.

Reverb for DV Mark Little Jazz-1-jpg
    What would be the typical tone knob setting (or range of settings) on your guitar when you have the LJ at the setting in the pic?
    I understand that this is going to depend on the uF value of the cap, the resistance value of the pots, the relative humidity, price of Corn Flakes in Warsaw, etc, etc. However...just curious.

Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greco
    What would be the typical tone knob setting (or range of settings) on your guitar when you have the LJ at the setting in the pic?
    I understand that this is going to depend on the uF value of the cap, the resistance value of the pots, the relative humidity, price of Corn Flakes in Warsaw, etc, etc. However...just curious.
    Thanks
    It is pretty much independent of my guitar setting. I mean I have more than one different guitars, and almost the same setting on the amp. On my Epi Joe Pass the tone pot and all tone electronics are wired out (and the bridge pickup also), the only way to make it a bit darker I put the volume pot 50% and give a more volume on the amp. On my Eastman 371 the tone pot usually in 75% dark. On the amp, I only touch the treble a bit more or a bit less depending on my mood and the tune.

I am experiencing with the sound a lot but I think the amp treble can vary, the real characteristics came from the guitar, the strings, the picking way and the amp. What is always fixed: The bass to zero, however please note my amp is actually DV Mark Jazz 12, which is literally the same amp in greater box and with a 12 inch speaker.

User Info Menu

Mine is like this, my guitar (Gibson 175) is on the neck pickup with volume and treble set to about 8.

Reverb for DV Mark Little Jazz-90dcc2a6-9e0b-4b0a-a3df-9364cdc725bb-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    It is pretty much independent of my guitar setting. I mean I have more than one different guitars, and almost the same setting on the amp. On my Epi Joe Pass the tone pot and all tone electronics are wired out (and the bridge pickup also), the only way to make it a bit darker I put the volume pot 50% and give a more volume on the amp. On my Eastman 371 the tone pot usually in 75% dark. On the amp, I only touch the treble a bit more or a bit less depending on my mood and the tune.

I am experiencing with the sound a lot but I think the amp treble can vary, the real characteristics came from the guitar, the strings, the picking way and the amp. What is always fixed: The bass to zero, however please note my amp is actually DV Mark Jazz 12, which is literally the same amp in greater box and with a 12 inch speaker.
    Thank you for your detailed response. Given that you have the Jazz 12, many aspects/settings could possibly be quite different from the Little Jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greco

Thanks
    My settings are very close. I'm a tiny bit higher in the mids and lower in the treble. I've been using two guitars lately, a Comins GCS-1 and a Yamaha Pacifica strat type with a Lil 59 humbucker. I don't touch the amp settings when I change guitars.

I sometimes adjust the reverb a little bit. Don't know if it's variations in perception or something physical about the room I'm playing in.

I always have some reverb on in my pedal board, so I'm actually using two reverbs in series, the pedal board and the amp.