The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 58

User Info Menu

Hi everybody,
    I'm a happy owner of a Dv Mark Little Jazz amp but I'm not very satisfied with the reverb. I do like having some reverb: I usually keep the knob at 12 o' clock but if I go ahead it starts sounding strange (if you own this amp, you know what I mean). So I'm thinking about an external reverb pedal. Just for information, I play with a Guild A150 and I use no other effects (I just have a looper pedal).

I saw very good reviews of the Hall of Fame 2 pedal (even the "mini" version) and I think also the price is ok. What do you think?

Option B: I'm also considering a combined pedal, like reverb + delay (e.g. Dispatch master pedal or Caverns pedal) or reverb + tremolo (e.g. Flint pedal). I know this is going to be more expensive but maybe is a better investment in the long term (and it will shape the sound in a new way): any opinions / experiences about that? Any "combined" pedal of your suggestion?

Thanks a lot,
    dario

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Zoom MS-70CDR multistomp is an option and has loads of varieties of delay and reverb (and chorus and flange and octave and on and on). The quality of the delays and reverbs is surprisingly good. It's cheap and runs for hours from a couple of AA batteries. It may give you option anxiety though. And it is somewhat difficult to control in a gig situation although there are workarounds. But if you are running reverb always on and occasional delay it won't be a problem. Also the MS-50G which has amp sims and overdrive. I bought one as an experiment and it's replaced my need for 3 or 4 separate pedals.

User Info Menu

I have the HOF Mini, and I like it a lot. I'm also don't like the Little Jazz reverb much, but it's no worse than any other amp reverb I've heard. I never turn it above 9 o'clock, which is where I put the HOF mini. More is too much for me. I just don't like amp reverbs in general. I have no combined pedals, so I can't offer any advice on those.

User Info Menu

I wouldn't go for a combined pedal unless you thought "both sides" were awesome. Now I think that's the case with the Flint!

I have a HOF (the original) and it works great for what I use it for, a touch of reverb (the spring).

User Info Menu

The feature I like best about the HOF pedal is the ability to change the reverb quickly from my phone. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of reverb patches available through the app, and I have a number marked as favorites so I can find them quickly. The sounds can be very different, and you can go from very dark to very bright in seconds, or anything in between, with spring, plate, room, hall, church, more than you can imagine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Subfeeder
    The Zoom MS-70CDR multistomp is an option and has loads of varieties of delay and reverb (and chorus and flange and octave and on and on). The quality of the delays and reverbs is surprisingly good. It's cheap and runs for hours from a couple of AA batteries. It may give you option anxiety though. And it is somewhat difficult to control in a gig situation although there are workarounds. But if you are running reverb always on and occasional delay it won't be a problem. Also the MS-50G which has amp sims and overdrive. I bought one as an experiment and it's replaced my need for 3 or 4 separate pedals.
    this is an intelligent, attractive man.

lot of great options out there. depends on how much you want to spend, how you plan to power it and how many sounds and features you need from it.

User Info Menu

Catalinbread Talisman for reverb only or Dispatch Master v2 for combined reverb and delay. Strymon Flint if you want tremolo.

User Info Menu

I was going to say talisman

User Info Menu

I believe that Vic Juris used the Dispatch Master when I saw him at the Zinc Bar. Sounded great

TC makes a well regarded reverb.

I use a Boss ME80 and I find the reverb more than acceptable.

My Little Jazz is supposed to arrive Wednesday and I'll be posting a review shortly thereafter.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I would suggest you to have a look at this one: high quality sound and very versatile.(eg: verb+ tremolo)
    True Spring Reverb - Source Audio Website

User Info Menu

I have a HOF mini running the Guitar Center patch that I like a lot but most of the time I use the on-board reverb because it's convenient and adequate. I'd probably use the on-board reverb for a gig just because going out with nothing but a guitar, the amp and a cable is one of the great attractions of the Little Jazz.

BTW, literally as of today we are settled in our new home. The internet is finally installed and I've overcome all of my technical recording and video problems. I've been doing some test videos today and by tomorrow I hope to have demo video of the Little Jazz up on YouTube. It will have three excerpts: one with the HOF mini, one with no reverb at all and one with the on-board reverb. I'll post it here when it's done.

User Info Menu

The sound with a HOF mini varies widely, depending on the patch in use. There is no "HOF sound" as far as I know. Even the various HOF patches sound very different, even when set so low as to be almost inaudible. IMO that's an asset, not a shortcoming.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    The sound with a HOF mini varies widely, depending on the patch in use. There is no "HOF sound" as far as I know. Even the various HOF patches sound very different, even when set so low as to be almost inaudible. IMO that's an asset, not a shortcoming.
    And some patches transition to a completely effect as the dial passes the midway point. I tried all of them when I got it and by far my favorite is the Guitar Center patch. It's really just a nice sweet straight forward reverb.

User Info Menu

I'll have to try that one. One I recently discovered is the "dirty room". I like it a lot, and it seems to me to be sort of your style. Despite the name, it's a very clear, somewhat bright reverb, not overdone.

Edit: The only Guitar Center patch I can find is called "Lost in the tone". Is that the one you're using?

User Info Menu

Lot's of highly regarded pedals listed here. But is there a specific reverb sound that you prefer? Spring, plate, hall, etc., all sound a bit different.

Also regarding the HoF mini, I have been interested in this myself because of the toneprint functionalities, but after owning a mini looper I've decided that size is not for me. Have you used mini pedals before?

I also wonder about TC Electronic build quality, which has been problematic at times in the past. I want to buy their Quintessence harmonizer pedal but haven't because I am worried about this. Does anyone know if they have finally sorted out their production issues for good?

User Info Menu

Got an HoF-2 reverb a month ago. Haven't even gone online to check out the options other than the built in ones, but still enjoying it.

The "shimmer" effect using the mash mode is creating a sound I'll use for my video post video tutorials intro ... way cool sound.

So, not long enough to talk about build issues and it's not been thrown off honky-tonk stages or tossed in the back of a van 50 times. Had speaker cabs fall on it, that sort of thing.

Sounds good, and looking forward to trying the various online and modding options.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I've had my HOF mini for a couple of years, and while it hasn't seen really hard use, it has been thrown in a bag with other stuff, and certainly hasn't been babied. It just works, never had an issue with it. If you don't like that size, the regular HOF reverb is available, and has more knobs. I bought it because of the size, and the lack of knobs. But they sell different gear because of different buyers.

User Info Menu

Not much love evidently for the Boss RV-6.

User Info Menu

Never had one, so I can't recommend it. Same for all the myriad other reverb pedals. The one I have is the only one I've ever owned, or even tried. I can't recommend something tone unheard.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Never had one, so I can't recommend it. Same for all the myriad other reverb pedals. The one I have is the only one I've ever owned, or even tried. I can't recommend something tone unheard.
    Um, well, thanks anyway!

User Info Menu

Haven't heard good things about the inboard reverb. What if any external reverbs are you using with the amp. I only want a little and I like Spring.

User Info Menu

TC HOF mini. My patch preference varies, but mostly either the default room, HOF default, or the GC "Lost in the tone". It's easy to change the patch from my phone, and there are many, many spring reverb patches available. I don't care for them, but there are tons of them for use.

User Info Menu

I use the reverb on the LJ set at about 10 o'clock. It sounds fine to me. It's in what I might call jazz territory.

I also add reverb with a Boss ME80.

I don't care for the LJ reverb above 12 o'clock. This is, I suppose, surf music territory, but I don't think it sounds good for that either.

User Info Menu

Imo the Little Jazz is very good, but it's verb is actually pretty bad.

I like reverb but I do not like the sound that a digital pedal can bring to your tone, so with my non reverb amps and also the LJ, I use a pedal called the Van Amps Sole Mate.
    It's a large pedal with an actual spring inside.
    Not the greatest real spring verb that I have heard, but far more to my liking than any digital pedal that I have heard.