The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 301

User Info Menu

It looks like they are already out. Getting rave reviews from forums, youtuber's alike. That 33lbs Twin with a built-in attenuator and speaker emulated xlr out is very luring:

Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb Combo Amplifier Review! | The Music Zoo
    Last edited by Tal_175; 09-30-2019 at 05:53 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The original sounds thin compared to the new. Probably in the way the mids are EQed.
    I’ll be trotting down to my local GC to try one, soonish.

User Info Menu

Color me interested...

Fender Tone Master TWIN Reverb-fender-tone-master-twin-reverb-jpg

People who tried them seem to be very impressed with them.

I read in one forum that they put the tonemaster sticker on a real Twin in a GC and have some of their customers compare them. Customers said they preferred the real one (without the sticker) a bit more Of course when the staff turned the amps around they found out that they were actually preferring the Tonemaster.

So BEWARE if anyone asks you to compare these amps, don't trust the sticker. Sneak a look at the back of the amp first without them noticing.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 09-13-2019 at 02:47 PM.

User Info Menu

I like the idea of a simple interface for a digital amp, but it would have been cool if they had a "tweed/brown/blackface" knob.

User Info Menu

I don't need an amp, but I'm eager to try one of these out anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I don't need an amp, but I'm eager to try one of these out anyway.
    Pretty much my thoughts before any of my amp purchases

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I like the idea of a simple interface for a digital amp, but it would have been cool if they had a "tweed/brown/blackface" knob.
    Then they would have been cutting a bit too close to the Champion category. Fender really is trying to make a point that nothing like this concept has ever been seen on the market.

User Info Menu

Not in the market either, but a lightweight take on a '59 (4x10") Bassman would be awesome. Fender, you listening?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Then they would have been cutting a bit too close to the Champion category. Fender really is trying to make a point that nothing like this concept has ever been seen on the market.
    C

Champion? Do you mean Mustang?

C

Champion? Do you mean Mustang?
    Fender also has a champion line with a simpler interface with just a knob to choose blackface, tweed etc settings.

Next should be dumble overdrive special.

User Info Menu

Fender also has a champion line with a simpler interface with just a knob to choose blackface, tweed etc settings.
    (Checks online manual...) Okay, I see. I still think there's market room. The sales pitch for the Tone Master is not "It's a Champion, without that voice knob!". It's that it's a pro-grade combo with a better grade of modeling. Now would a voice knob hurt or help sales?

(Checks online manual...) Okay, I see. I still think there's market room. The sales pitch for the Tone Master is not "It's a Champion, without that voice knob!". It's that it's a pro-grade combo with a better grade of modeling. Now would a voice knob hurt or help sales?
    Yes it will hurt the sales I think. The thing is, it would no longer be a Twin or Deluxe Reverb. It'll be the next state of the art modeling amp out there with millions of competitors. Very different things.

There is something brilliant about the concept of these amps. You get the exact looks of the iconic amps with different guts that's dedicated to give you the exact same experience. The power of the concept would be lost if they went for all the bells and whistles.

User Info Menu

The words ‘balanced Xlr line output’ are some of my favourites in the English language.

Can you do one of these as a deluxe reverb Fender? Or even a Princeton?

User Info Menu

Oh they do a DR

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    The words ‘balanced Xlr line output’ are some of my favourites in the English language.

Can you do one of these as a deluxe reverb Fender? Or even a Princeton?
    Your lucky day. They are making all three. Twin, DR and Princeton. Later two are even lighter and cheaper.

User Info Menu

Yes it will hurt the sales I think. The thing is, it would no longer be a Twin or Deluxe Reverb. It'll be the next state of the art modeling amp out there with millions of competitors. Very different things.

There is something brilliant about the concept of these amps. You get the exact looks of the iconic amps with different guts that's dedicated to give you the exact same experience. The power of the concept would be lost if they went for all the bells and whistles.
    I wish them luck, but one leetle tweed/brown/black voice knob hidden on the back isn't "all the bells and whistles". We must agree to disagree. Plus, they already have other knobs on the back that the original amps don't have, like output power.

I wish them luck, but one leetle tweed/brown/black voice knob hidden on the back isn't "all the bells and whistles". We must agree to disagree. Plus, they already have other knobs on the back that the original amps don't have, like output power.
    Well at that point they might as well put all the bells and whistles. What kind of cab they'll use? You can't really simulate 4x10 bassman with 2x12 twin cab. You can't simulate 2x12 twin with a Princeton cab. Then they gonna use some generic cab to simulate all and not nail any of them. It'll no longer be a Twin or DR just a generic modeller.
    At that point it'll come to "Well Roland blues cube has effects loop and gain channel, this one doesn't and it's more expensive".
    Katana, blues cube etc all good sounding amps, the difference would be lost in the mass market.

User Info Menu

Well at that point they might as well put all the bells and whistles. What kind of cab they'll use? You can't really simulate 4x10 bassman with 2x12 twin cab. You can't simulate 2x12 twin with a Princeton cab. Then they gonna use some generic cab to simulate all and not nail any of them. It'll no longer be a Twin or DR just a generic modeller.
    At that point it'll come to "Well Roland blues cube has effects loop and gain channel, this one doesn't and it's more expensive".
    Katana, blues cube etc all good sounding amps, the difference would be lost in the mass market.
    I was just thinking "tweed twin/browface twin (blonde?)/blackface twin" for the twin model.

I was just thinking "tweed twin/browface twin (blonde?)/blackface twin" for the twin model.
    Oh I see. I still think the concept of nailing a particular amp in it's original package is what makes these special. If it's actually a big success, I can see them going for different variations of the concept like the one you mentioned.

The question is if you can carry a Twin, Super Reverb (hopefully coming soon) with your finger, would you still ever buy an Henriksen, Quilter, DV Mark etc?

User Info Menu

The question is if you can carry a Twin, Super Reverb (hopefully coming soon) with your finger, would you still ever buy an Henriksen, Quilter, DV Mark etc?
    From my chair here I can see my minty 1973 super reverb, My Vintage Sound VS 20 (princeton clone on steroids, Vintage Sound VS40 AB763 w 112, and a Tungsten Cortez (5E3 clone). All very enjoyable amps but none of them have been turned on in weeks.

However my Little Jazz is used every day.

Why - Because the solid state/Polytone whatever thing you want to call it is what I'm into these days and it really works for that imo.
    So my answer is absolutely I would have a DV Mark no matter what tube amps are available.

Quote Originally Posted by wengr
    From my chair here I can see my minty 1973 super reverb, My Vintage Sound VS 20 (princeton clone on steroids, Vintage Sound VS40 AB763 w 112, and a Tungsten Cortez (5E3 clone). All very enjoyable amps but none of them have been turned on in weeks.

However my Little Jazz is used every day.

Why - Because the solid state/Polytone whatever thing you want to call it is what I'm into these days and it really works for that imo.
    So my answer is absolutely I would have a DV Mark no matter what tube amps are available.
    But they aren't tube amps they are digital. What I mean is if Tone Masters really nail the tone and response of the originals and they are much lighter, would you still use your DV Mark, Henriksen, Quilter etc.

Emily Remler said her favorite amp was Twin but she used a Polytone so that she wouldn't have to ask strange men to help her carry it up the stage.