Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 50 of 240

User Info Menu

It looks like they are already out. Getting rave reviews from forums, youtuber's alike. That 33lbs Twin with a built-in attenuator and speaker emulated xlr out is very luring:

Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb Combo Amplifier Review! | The Music Zoo
    Last edited by Tal_175; 09-30-2019 at 05:53 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The original sounds thin compared to the new. Probably in the way the mids are EQed.
    I’ll be trotting down to my local GC to try one, soonish.

User Info Menu

Color me interested

People who tried them seem to be very impressed with them
    I played the Fender Tone Master amps today | Page 6 | Telecaster Guitar Forum

I read in one forum that they put the tonemaster sticker on a real Twin in a GC and have some of their customers compare them. Customers said they preferred the real one (without the sticker) a bit more Of course when the staff turned the amps around they found out that they were actually preferring the Tonemaster.

So BEWARE if anyone asks you to compare these amps, don't trust the sticker. Sneak a look at the back of the amp first without them noticing.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 09-13-2019 at 02:47 PM.

User Info Menu

I like the idea of a simple interface for a digital amp, but it would have been cool if they had a "tweed/brown/blackface" knob.
    Build bridges, not walls.

User Info Menu

I don't need an amp, but I'm eager to try one of these out anyway.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    I don't need an amp, but I'm eager to try one of these out anyway.
    Pretty much my thoughts before any of my amp purchases

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles View Post
    I like the idea of a simple interface for a digital amp, but it would have been cool if they had a "tweed/brown/blackface" knob.
    Then they would have been cutting a bit too close to the Champion category. Fender really is trying to make a point that nothing like this concept has ever been seen on the market.

User Info Menu

Not in the market either, but a lightweight take on a '59 (4x10") Bassman would be awesome. Fender, you listening?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175 View Post
    Then they would have been cutting a bit too close to the Champion category. Fender really is trying to make a point that nothing like this concept has ever been seen on the market.
    C

Champion? Do you mean Mustang?

C

Champion? Do you mean Mustang?
    Fender also has a champion line with a simpler interface with just a knob to choose blackface, tweed etc settings.

Next should be dumble overdrive special.

User Info Menu

Fender also has a champion line with a simpler interface with just a knob to choose blackface, tweed etc settings.
    (Checks online manual...) Okay, I see. I still think there's market room. The sales pitch for the Tone Master is not "It's a Champion, without that voice knob!". It's that it's a pro-grade combo with a better grade of modeling. Now would a voice knob hurt or help sales?

(Checks online manual...) Okay, I see. I still think there's market room. The sales pitch for the Tone Master is not "It's a Champion, without that voice knob!". It's that it's a pro-grade combo with a better grade of modeling. Now would a voice knob hurt or help sales?
    Yes it will hurt the sales I think. The thing is, it would no longer be a Twin or Deluxe Reverb. It'll be the next state of the art modeling amp out there with millions of competitors. Very different things.

There is something brilliant about the concept of these amps. You get the exact looks of the iconic amps with different guts that's dedicated to give you the exact same experience. The power of the concept would be lost if they went for all the bells and whistles.

User Info Menu

The words ‘balanced Xlr line output’ are some of my favourites in the English language.

Can you do one of these as a deluxe reverb Fender? Or even a Princeton?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    The words ‘balanced Xlr line output’ are some of my favourites in the English language.

Can you do one of these as a deluxe reverb Fender? Or even a Princeton?
    Your lucky day. They are making all three. Twin, DR and Princeton. Later two are even lighter and cheaper.

User Info Menu

Yes it will hurt the sales I think. The thing is, it would no longer be a Twin or Deluxe Reverb. It'll be the next state of the art modeling amp out there with millions of competitors. Very different things.

There is something brilliant about the concept of these amps. You get the exact looks of the iconic amps with different guts that's dedicated to give you the exact same experience. The power of the concept would be lost if they went for all the bells and whistles.
    I wish them luck, but one leetle tweed/brown/black voice knob hidden on the back isn't "all the bells and whistles". We must agree to disagree. Plus, they already have other knobs on the back that the original amps don't have, like output power.

I wish them luck, but one leetle tweed/brown/black voice knob hidden on the back isn't "all the bells and whistles". We must agree to disagree. Plus, they already have other knobs on the back that the original amps don't have, like output power.
    Well at that point they might as well put all the bells and whistles. What kind of cab they'll use? You can't really simulate 4x10 bassman with 2x12 twin cab. You can't simulate 2x12 twin with a Princeton cab. Then they gonna use some generic cab to simulate all and not nail any of them. It'll no longer be a Twin or DR just a generic modeller.
    At that point it'll come to "Well Roland blues cube has effects loop and gain channel, this one doesn't and it's more expensive".
    Katana, blues cube etc all good sounding amps, the difference would be lost in the mass market.

User Info Menu

Well at that point they might as well put all the bells and whistles. What kind of cab they'll use? You can't really simulate 4x10 bassman with 2x12 twin cab. You can't simulate 2x12 twin with a Princeton cab. Then they gonna use some generic cab to simulate all and not nail any of them. It'll no longer be a Twin or DR just a generic modeller.
    At that point it'll come to "Well Roland blues cube has effects loop and gain channel, this one doesn't and it's more expensive".
    Katana, blues cube etc all good sounding amps, the difference would be lost in the mass market.
    I was just thinking "tweed twin/browface twin (blonde?)/blackface twin" for the twin model.

I was just thinking "tweed twin/browface twin (blonde?)/blackface twin" for the twin model.
    Oh I see. I still think the concept of nailing a particular amp in it's original package is what makes these special. If it's actually a big success, I can see them going for different variations of the concept like the one you mentioned.

User Info Menu

One word : tubeless !
    And they call that "Twin Amp" ?

What kind of world are we living in, today ?
    Make a jazz noise here

The question is if you can carry a Twin, Super Reverb (hopefully coming soon) with your finger, would you still ever buy an Henriksen, Quilter, DV Mark etc?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june View Post
    One word : tubeless !
    And they call that "Twin Amp" ?

What kind of world are we living in, today ?
    The Porsche Taycans are all electric, and they have a model called "turbo"

User Info Menu

The question is if you can carry a Twin, Super Reverb (hopefully coming soon) with your finger, would you still ever buy an Henriksen, Quilter, DV Mark etc?
    From my chair here I can see my minty 1973 super reverb, My Vintage Sound VS 20 (princeton clone on steroids, Vintage Sound VS40 AB763 w 112, and a Tungsten Cortez (5E3 clone). All very enjoyable amps but none of them have been turned on in weeks.

However my Little Jazz is used every day.

Why - Because the solid state/Polytone whatever thing you want to call it is what I'm into these days and it really works for that imo.
    So my answer is absolutely I would have a DV Mark no matter what tube amps are available.

Quote Originally Posted by wengr View Post
    From my chair here I can see my minty 1973 super reverb, My Vintage Sound VS 20 (princeton clone on steroids, Vintage Sound VS40 AB763 w 112, and a Tungsten Cortez (5E3 clone). All very enjoyable amps but none of them have been turned on in weeks.

However my Little Jazz is used every day.

Why - Because the solid state/Polytone whatever thing you want to call it is what I'm into these days and it really works for that imo.
    So my answer is absolutely I would have a DV Mark no matter what tube amps are available.
    But they aren't tube amps they are digital. What I mean is if Tone Masters really nail the tone and response of the originals and they are much lighter, would you still use your DV Mark, Henriksen, Quilter etc.

Emily Remler said her favorite amp was Twin but she used a Polytone so that she wouldn't have to ask strange men to help her carry it up the stage.

User Info Menu

Preamp and power amp modeling has gotten very good. The weak link is the sound of the “amp in the room”—the cab modeling. Not a big deal for recording, but the whole buy 1000x impulse responses, dig around till you find one that isn’t too boomy, or too shrill, then listen to it either through high-powered PA speakers or studio monitors just sucks. If the build quality is good, these amps could represent sort of the best case for realistic modeling when the sound of an actual “amp in the room” is important.

User Info Menu

But they aren't tube amps they are digital. What I mean is if Tone Masters really nail the tone and response of the originals and they are much lighter, would you still use your DV Mark, Henriksen, Quilter etc.
    Yes I would. Apples and an attempt at lighter weight Oranges.

They sure get a lot of promotion. I don't see them taking off personally, digital amps with these dimensions and these prices.

User Info Menu

I'm skeptical that the modeling (as in the actual math and or I/R data and/or processing power) is actually better than a Champion. I suspect it's more a matter of the enclosure, speakers, and amp sections of the combo being better, and the controls being a truer mirror of what's on the real things. But the proof of the pudding is in the eating, not the typing.

John

User Info Menu

If it sounds as good as my prri, is lighter, does attenuation and di’s ... ok

I’ll A/B against a Tech 21 though.

Tbh live a lot of stuff boils down to practicality. So many times on stage sound is kind of balls whatever you use. The Tech 21 is a good enough approximation of a Fender amp to be quite satisfying to play through. And it comes in a tin.

Of course all the pros who need multiple sounds for shows and big gigs use Axe FX.

Nice tube amps are now for recording. The days of the high wattage tube amp - even the Twin - are kind of over for pro players ... even the Princeton is too loud for recording. I need a 5w amp.

So .... where’s the champs, Fender?

And why not a Tonemaster head?
    Last edited by christianm77; 09-13-2019 at 05:47 PM.

User Info Menu

These look great! And that's probably the main selling point that it's actually a Fender .
    But already having several Quilter Aviator amps I feel covered already. But I'd love to actually try them.

Your lucky day. They are making all three. Twin, DR and Princeton. Later two are even lighter and cheaper.
    Actually my mistake, I don't think they are making Tone Master Princeton, only DR and Twin.

User Info Menu

Actually my mistake, I don't think they are making Tone Master Princeton, only DR and Twin.
    Ok. But the DR is like 11 kg. Which isn’t bad...

User Info Menu

Also the cab sims sound really good

User Info Menu

I recently watched the Anderton video about these:

I think it's an excellent example of how important the speaker is and they missed the opportunity to check them out with the digital's speaker plugged into the tube version and vice versa.
    On the the deluxe the tube version sounded so much better (to me) and with the twin it was the other way round. My suspicion is that the tube deluxe already has been played a lot in the store.

User Info Menu

So - - is it better at out-modeling the modelers, or out-cloning the clones ?

User Info Menu

There's a new demo from Sweetwater/ Fender... I think the twin sounds better....

User Info Menu

I wouldn't dismiss them out-of-hand, since now owning a Roland Blues Cube Artist... which is a seriously good amp. After owning this amp, my bias against solid state has finally been conquered. I'll always own tube amps (and just ordered a Bad Cat), but ain't nothing wrong with solid state done right... and a few people ARE doing it right these days (and that goes for more than just jazz tones!)

My Roland BCA with the Ultimate Blues Tone Capsule supplanted my heavier 60W tube amp for my cover band, no regrets ! And no more sore back either! LOL

User Info Menu

If they did, I'd be buying one. That's brilliant.

User Info Menu

I haven't seen the PR yet? I googled and couldn't find one...?

User Info Menu

I have a Fender Super Champ X2 Head which includes all those models and more (Supersonic, Jazzmaster etc) with a tube power amp stage. With a high efficiency cab (Eminence Wizard) it is very very loud. For those of you who wants to save money, it can be bought for $300 new plus your choice of speaker cab (not from me).
    -----------------------------------

"The instrument keeps me humble. Sometimes I pick it up and it seems to say, "No, you can't play today." I keep at it anyway, though." Jim Hall

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues View Post
    I have a Fender Super Champ X2 Head which includes all those models and more (Supersonic, Jazzmaster etc) with a tube power amp stage. With a high efficiency cab (Eminence Wizard) it is very very loud. For those of you who wants to save money, it can be bought for $300 new plus your choice of speaker cab (not from me).
    That’s the thing about the Twin though. The cab and 2x12 inch speakers is a huge part of the sound. You don’t get that sound in the room when you are playing a super champ X2. I’m not saying it doesn’t sound good – – it probably sounds very good. But I doubt that it is as accurate a classic Twin sound as this new TM amp.

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
    I haven't seen the PR yet? I googled and couldn't find one...?
    I was mistaken. I corrected it in a later post above. Looks like they aren't making ToneMaster PR's. I guess PR is already not too taxing to carry around. It seems like they focused on the heavier amps.

User Info Menu

I was mistaken. I corrected it in a later post above. Looks like they aren't making ToneMaster PR's. I guess PR is already not too taxing to carry around. It seems like they focused on the heavier amps.
    A lighter PR would be very good. You don’t really want to take a PR too far on foot.

If they got it down to 7kg say, that would be on my shopping list.

As it is probably won’t bother. More likely to get lightweight separates. If they had a ToneMaster head I’d buy that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
    I wouldn't dismiss them out-of-hand, since now owning a Roland Blues Cube Artist...

This was the route I took. Kind of expensive but to my ears best of them. I'm using the crystal clear tone module with an archtop and liking it quite a bit.

Thing is.. for the same 35 pounds that the Artist weighs, if I could have a really good Twin seems like I would go for the latter. If they are as good as early reviews, maybe I can avoid playing one for awhile. No room for more amps around here.
    Hell is full of musical amateurs - George Bernard Shaw

User Info Menu

Yea.. yea.. but SS Twin won't smell like burnt ozone when it gets hot.
    Hell is full of musical amateurs - George Bernard Shaw

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr View Post
    That’s the thing about the Twin though. The cab and 2x12 inch speakers is a huge part of the sound. You don’t get that sound in the room when you are playing a super champ X2. I’m not saying it doesn’t sound good – – it probably sounds very good. But I doubt that it is as accurate a classic Twin sound as this new TM amp.
    That's true, my point is if I get a nice heavy 2x12 open back cab (and a trolley) and hook up the X2 into it, I will have the Twin sound and more amp models and more effects available, with hi-efficiency drivers, the difference in loudness will be insignificant. However, if the Tonemaster gives you the capability of adding models (or something similar to the TonePrint of TC Electronic) then it's a good deal.
    -----------------------------------

"The instrument keeps me humble. Sometimes I pick it up and it seems to say, "No, you can't play today." I keep at it anyway, though." Jim Hall

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410 View Post
    Yea.. yea.. but SS Twin won't smell like burnt ozone when it gets hot.
    I loved a woman like this for years.

Have been a lucky fellow, probably undeservedly so.